Page 4 of 82 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 820

Thread: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

  1. #31
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law - chicagotribune.com





    We have gone through so many years in the United States without Voter ID laws, and we now suddenly need them? Voter fraud is not something that is not common in the United States and this seems like an attempt to disenfranchise certain sets of voters.
    While there are issues with a voter id law, they can mitigated by offering free or very low cost ID's.

    This type of overblown hyperbole serves no one.

  2. #32
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    I don't think a poll worker would let Fred Flintstone vote.

    Minimal voter fraud or suppression from 2009 article. Now we need ID.
    Early Voting Fraud: Rhetoric Or Reality? - CBS News


    Seeing how many states do not check for ID or even a voter registration(which many states do not require someone show an ID for) cards all they will do is ask for name and party affiliation and have you sign a sign-in sheet. They hand you a ballot that you mark what you want candidates and or ballot issues you support and put the ballot into a machine with no way of identifying who marked that ballot.So yes they would allow a Fred Flinstone to vote if some guy came up and said he was Fred Flinstone.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #33
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    Are you going to vote in the next election? If so you should care. We have to decide which crooked thieving lier is going to lead our nation for the next four years.
    So I care that Obama has connections to ACORN just like I care that Sheldon Adelson, Foster Friess, and Frank L. VanderSloot bankroll the republican candidates?

    I do not think you have any idea what my ideals are or who I would support for the presidency.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  4. #34
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefgator View Post
    If you want to argue that the types of ID accepted may make it unfair, your argument has merit. To me, this a totally different topic. Any photo ID that is good enough for a bank should be good enough to establish identification to vote.
    I agree fully, however that is NOT how most of these laws require... and it is being done in many especially states under GOP leadership, which only adds fuel to the usual arguments against the GOP that they want to disenfranchise certain parts of the population.. and that argument has considerable merit.
    PeteEU

  5. #35
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefgator View Post
    I couldn't help but notice that you cut off the quote from the story just before the statement that the Governor is addressing the issue for the people that have been affected adversely.
    If you are talking to me I do not think that I quoted a story, I provided a link to MSNBC and listed the groups who have filed suits in Wisconsin.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  6. #36
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Seeing how many states do not check for ID or even a voter registration(which many states do not require someone show an ID for) cards all they will do is ask for name and party affiliation and have you sign a sign-in sheet. They hand you a ballot that you mark what you want candidates and or ballot issues you support and put the ballot into a machine with no way of identifying who marked that ballot.So yes they would allow a Fred Flinstone to vote if some guy came up and said he was Fred Flinstone.
    No, there is no way to know who marked a ballot, but when you approach the poll workers to get a ballot you have to verify your name and address to make sure you are at the correct polling place. If someone is registered as Adolf Hitler, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, I think someone at some point would notice. The city / county clerks have to put your info at the correct polling place so they do see names and addresses.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  7. #37
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Police can command you to identify youreself for no reason at all so I think presenting ID before you vote is going to stand up in court.
    Cops can demand ID, high court rules - politics - msnbc.com
    I'm walking down the street, a police officer says "Can I see some ID", I say "Am I being detained?" the officer replies "No", I continue walking.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  8. #38
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    If you are talking to me I do not think that I quoted a story, I provided a link to MSNBC and listed the groups who have filed suits in Wisconsin.
    Nope. I was not talking to you. I just did not get the post in quickly enough.
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

  9. #39
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Police can command you to identify youreself for no reason at all so I think presenting ID before you vote is going to stand up in court.
    Cops can demand ID, high court rules - politics - msnbc.com
    if you read about the case more in depth you will find that in Hiibel the man in question was being DETAINED. There is a difference is requirement if the stop is consenual vs. detention. You determine which the situation is by asking "Am I being detained" or "Am I free to go".

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  10. #40
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    No, there is no way to know who marked a ballot, but when you approach the poll workers to get a ballot you have to verify your name and address to make sure you are at the correct polling place. If someone is registered as Adolf Hitler, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, I think someone at some point would notice. The city / county clerks have to put your info at the correct polling place so they do see names and addresses.
    For every Adolf Hitler there is reason to assume there is a registration for an Adolf Reyes, for every Fred Flintstone there is a Fred Lantz. Not every fraudulent registration is that obvious. The fact that the obvious ones were done just lend credence to the assumption that there are many others that are not so obvious.
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

Page 4 of 82 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •