Page 25 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 820

Thread: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

  1. #241
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    The only point of providing links from some partisan site is to prove that someone out there agrees with you. I think most everyone would concede that, but it doesn't make your case any more convincing unless someone already agrees. It's a bit silly, ain't it?
    Providing links from a partisan site can be useful and help make your point. I would prefer this over nothing but the referenced articles actually have to have facts to back up your position. Not just opinion.

  2. #242
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    The problem with that is you're just lowering the bar once again to cater to the lowest common denominator. If the poor or elderly have no ID, whose fault is that? The cost is minimal, but let's assume that we do it for free, do you seriously think these people are going to go to the DMV and pick them up? What next? Oh no, we have to hand-deliver all of the IDs to everyone, door to door! Oh no, we have to fill out their forms because they're too lazy! Oh no, we have to do all the work and go vote for them too!

    If they're too damn stupid or lazy to go get an ID, I don't want them voting.
    Voting is a right, not a privlege. And its not about being too stupid or lazy to get an ID. Its about people being too poor or physically incapable of getting an ID. IMO, what should happen is if you make less than a certain amount of income you are given an ID for free, churches and other groups get the people to the DMV to get the ID, and then when its time to renew, you are automatically sent one in the mail. And since technology is getting better and better there shouldn't be anything preventing the government and non-profit orginizations setting up ways to do all the work to get an ID without having to be physically at the DMV.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    As I noted early on, the only way you can do this is to make it free.
    I'd love IDs just be free for everyone, but that would be a large burden on the state don't you think?
    Hayek - too liberal for republicans

  3. #243
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    The problem with that is you're just lowering the bar once again to cater to the lowest common denominator. If the poor or elderly have no ID, whose fault is that? The cost is minimal, but let's assume that we do it for free, do you seriously think these people are going to go to the DMV and pick them up?
    Make them available at the social security office also. But yes, if they drive they are eventually going to pick them up.

  4. #244
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    No, the only way you can do it is make people responsible and responsibility in America is a bad word today.
    Even the irresponsible can vote.

  5. #245
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    Last Seen
    10-10-12 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Providing links from a partisan site can be useful and help make your point. I would prefer this over nothing but the referenced articles actually have to have facts to back up your position. Not just opinion.
    I don't use them. I prefer to make the point myself. I use neutral news sources to site a case, especially if some are unfamiliar with it. As I said, it only proves that someone out there agrees with you which is something I think we all can concede, regardless of the opinion.

  6. #246
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    I'd love IDs just be free for everyone, but that would be a large burden on the state don't you think?
    and totally unnecessary, as most of us already have them.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #247
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yeah, so much of a Republican that he appeared with, and backed Obama....Nah....Sorry. He was an Arlen Spector Republican. And a disgrace.

    j-mac
    Arlen Spector was a moderate Republican for years. The party left him, before he left the party. He left specifically because of people like you, who pushed the party so far to the right that it didn't reflect his beliefs any more. For all the talk about a "true Republican" you've forgotten that the Republican party is supposed to be center-right. There should be room on the right for the extremists. For all the lip service given to Reagan by the TP, if he were a candidate, they'd dismiss him as a RINO.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #248
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    If they're too damn stupid or lazy to go get an ID, I don't want them voting.
    Well, frankly, if you have that attitude I don't want YOU voting ... but we all have a right to vote and we should not make it harder to exercise that right unless we have a damned good reason.

  9. #249
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    Voting is a right, not a privlege. And its not about being too stupid or lazy to get an ID. Its about people being too poor or physically incapable of getting an ID. IMO, what should happen is if you make less than a certain amount of income you are given an ID for free, churches and other groups get the people to the DMV to get the ID, and then when its time to renew, you are automatically sent one in the mail. And since technology is getting better and better there shouldn't be anything preventing the government and non-profit orginizations setting up ways to do all the work to get an ID without having to be physically at the DMV.
    As I said, assuming that IDs were free, that removes any obstacle for people "too poor". If people were able to make requests through the mail, that would remove any obstacles for people "physically incapable". So it's not that hard to make it possible to get IDs if you want one. I'm sure that wouldn't stop the ACLU from making the same claim because there would be people out there who wouldn't even make the attempt to get an ID and thus, couldn't vote. Laziness is not an excuse.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #250
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    I read two thirds of the article and saw nothing about what they are doing to suppress voting. I then started scanning. I'll refrain from reading any more of your links. If you want to make a point, quote the relevant parts.
    Did you read Public Act Four passed by the Michigan Legislature on a straight party vote in 2011?

    that is what the article was discussing.

    You ask for evidence, then dismiss the evidence and tell me I have provided too much for you to read and want the short readers digest version. Please make up your mind.

    Its all there for you - no matter if you want to dismiss it out of party loyalty or not. That does not change reality and the war on voting rights.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 25 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •