Page 18 of 82 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 820

Thread: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    What is your point?
    Not that I have to provide anything of proof of that for it to be accepted by many.

  2. #172
    Banned SLAMRAAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    03-10-12 @ 03:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    318

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law - chicagotribune.com

    We have gone through so many years in the United States without Voter ID laws, and we now suddenly need them? Voter fraud is not something that is not common in the United States and this seems like an attempt to disenfranchise certain sets of voters.
    Exactly - it's designed to disenfranchise illegals from voting, in other words those who don't have any right to be voting here (or living here) to begin with. Good.

    Looks more like the opponents of this are just trying to disenfranchise the Republican Party, knowing that illegals tend to vote Democrat.

    No surprise that the traitorous ACLU opposes it, they hate everything that's moral and love everything that's evil - hell the only time they ever supported a "Christian's" rights is the nutjob anti-Military rev. Fred Phelps, and probably just because he shares their hatred for our troops.

  3. #173
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    There's nothing generic about it. There have been many studies showing that these laws prevent lots of people from voting and there is no evidence that they serve an important purpose. There's a reason that they are always pushed by Republicans, and it has nothing to do with voter fraud.
    For this to make any sense, one has to presume that people who do not have valid ID are more likely to vote Democratic.

    What else could we reasonably assume about those who don't have valid ID?
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  4. #174
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    We have gone through so many years in the United States without Voter ID laws, and we now suddenly need them? Voter fraud is not something that is not common in the United States and this seems like an attempt to disenfranchise certain sets of voters.
    Yeah...Illegals.
    1996. California 46th District congressional election.

    Loretta Sanchez, a Democrat ran a campaign specifically courting illegal aliens. She narrowly defeated the Republican incumbent, Bob Dornan. The number of votes that were subsequently proven to have been illegally cast amounted to about 76% of the margin by which she defeated Dornan. It's impossible to know how many more illegal votes were unproven, but there's a very, very high probability that the final outcome of this election was different than it would have been if illegals had not voted.

    Voter fraud does happen, and we have here at least one example in which it appears to have altered the outcome of an important election.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    Last Seen
    10-10-12 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    For this to make any sense, one has to presume that people who do not have valid ID are more likely to vote Democratic.
    Certainly, the division along party lines expresses that clearly. Theoretically, even Democrats disapprove of voter fraud so they are forced to their default positions on just about everything. In other words denial, racism and disenfranchisement and the Republican war on everything and everyone except rich whites.

  6. #176
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    I'm still a little confused on how this is equivalent to Jim Crow laws.

  7. #177
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Hare View Post
    You're using individual cases where certain seniors are inconvenienced to justify accusations of broad, sweeping voter suppression. For the vast majority of Americans, a voter ID should not be a problematic request.
    So if a few innocent people are inconvenienced and thrown in jail, that is justified because chances are that we got at least one real criminal? Is that that the attitude you have on things?

    And you totally missed the point. ID's that were valid the last election have been invalidated in the next and you need a picture ID to get a voter ID... but to get the ID you need your birth certificate, but that you cant get because yes.. you need a valid picture ID! laws like that make you wonder what the hell the legislative was thinking. People are also being forced to pay for new voter ID cards and what not, despite it being free..

    The Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law | Think Getting “Free” ID Is Easy? Think Again!

    A long list for something that is supposed to be easy no? Poll tax!
    PeteEU

  8. #178
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    Last Seen
    10-10-12 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    So if a few innocent people are inconvenienced and thrown in jail, that is justified because chances are that we got at least one real criminal? Is that that the attitude you have on things?

    The Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law | Think Getting “Free” ID Is Easy? Think Again!
    So if a few people are inconvenienced and had trouble getting ID, is that is justification to compromise democratic institutions through voter fraud? Is that that the attitude you have on things?

  9. #179
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    So if a few innocent people are inconvenienced and thrown in jail, that is justified because chances are that we got at least one real criminal? Is that that the attitude you have on things?

    And you totally missed the point. ID's that were valid the last election have been invalidated in the next and you need a picture ID to get a voter ID... but to get the ID you need your birth certificate, but that you cant get because yes.. you need a valid picture ID!
    No you don't.

  10. #180
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:50 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,084

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Not that I have to provide anything of proof of that for it to be accepted by many.
    What type of "proof" are you looking for that is not around you on most days of the week? Are you taking issue with the idea that there has NOT been a growth in conservative circles of ideology which attempts to refute the idea that their is a Constitutional right to vote? That we need to impose new laws which could restrict voting for some people? That there have not been discussions right here and on other sites in which people on the right openly state that they are against certain people voting and we should connect the vote to things like payment of federal income taxes?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 18 of 82 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •