Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 94

Thread: Gay Texas Judge Refuses to Perform Marriage Ceremonies(edited)

  1. #81
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay judge refuses to perform Straight weddings

    As much as I want to support her in her protest I just cant. I think its wrong for a government employee to deny a straight couple or a gay couple a marriage license because of personal bias.

  2. #82
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,151

    Re: Gay judge refuses to perform Straight weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Wrong! She's refusing to perform straight marriages. That's discrimination.
    Considering that gay marriage is illegal in Texas, that's actually all marriages.

    Maybe when that changes (not anytime soon in Texas), she'll only do gay ones, in which case you'll have a point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #83
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,151

    Re: Gay judge refuses to perform Straight weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by Omgitsme View Post
    As much as I want to support her in her protest I just cant. I think its wrong for a government employee to deny a straight couple or a gay couple a marriage license because of personal bias.
    She's not denying anyone a marriage license. She just won't perform the ceremony because the state denies gay couples marriage licenses by law.

    Straights can still get married. It's not like she's the only judge in Dallas.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  4. #84
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay judge refuses to perform Straight weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    She's not denying anyone a marriage license. She just won't perform the ceremony because the state denies gay couples marriage licenses by law.

    Straights can still get married. It's not like she's the only judge in Dallas.
    I stand corrected. Still cant support her though.

  5. #85
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,151

    Re: Gay judge refuses to perform Straight weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by SLAMRAAM View Post
    Straight couples have a legal right to be married in Texas.

    What if the Judge was refusing to marry interracial couples which technically she has the right to do?
    Refusing to marry interracial couples but still doing it for same race couples would be wrong.

    She's not performing any marriages. Gay or straight, white, black or green. You just have your panties in a wad because it's "liberals."


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #86
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Gay judge refuses to perform Straight weddings

    Since performing a marriage is discretionary, I beleive the Judge can refuse to perform the ceremony for any reason or no reason, but, not due to race, creed, color, sexual orientation or age etc. Therefore if she says she will not preform the ceremony, if requested, and she clearly states it is due to the sexual orientation of the individuals then it would clearly be a discriminatory practice.

  7. #87
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,151

    Re: Gay judge refuses to perform Straight weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    Since performing a marriage is discretionary, I beleive the Judge can refuse to perform the ceremony for any reason or no reason, but, not due to race, creed, color, sexual orientation or age etc. Therefore if she says she will not preform the ceremony, if requested, and she clearly states it is due to the sexual orientation of the individuals then it would clearly be a discriminatory practice.
    But to make it clear -- this is ALL marriages. She's not performing ANY marriage because gay marriage is illegal. She is not marrying gays and refusing straights. She is not performing marriages at all.

    It is a form of protest against the fact that gay marriage isn't legal in Texas. If she refuses to marry straights when she can marry gays, then it's discriminatory. Until then, it's not discriminatory because she isn't marrying anybody.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #88
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Gay judge refuses to perform Straight weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    But to make it clear -- this is ALL marriages. She's not performing ANY marriage because gay marriage is illegal. She is not marrying gays and refusing straights. She is not performing marriages at all.

    It is a form of protest against the fact that gay marriage isn't legal in Texas. If she refuses to marry straights when she can marry gays, then it's discriminatory. Until then, it's not discriminatory because she isn't marrying anybody.

    I disagree. She can say whatever she wants outside the scope of her duties. But if asked to perform a ceremony, and she then refuses specifically because of the couple's sexual orientation then it is discrimination. Should she cite conflicting schedules, sickness or she just does not feel like performing the ceremony, even in light of what she said at a meeting then I do not see a problem. If there can a pattern that can be established where she refuses to perform the ceremony when asked that may give rise to a possible investigation of discrimination based upon her statements.

  9. #89
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Gay judge refuses to perform Straight weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    I disagree. She can say whatever she wants outside the scope of her duties. But if asked to perform a ceremony, and she then refuses specifically because of the couple's sexual orientation then it is discrimination. Should she cite conflicting schedules, sickness or she just does not feel like performing the ceremony, even in light of what she said at a meeting then I do not see a problem. If there can a pattern that can be established where she refuses to perform the ceremony when asked that may give rise to a possible investigation of discrimination based upon her statements.
    It is not within the scope of her duties. In Texas, it is optional for a Judge to perform weddings.

    Additionally, her explaination of "I'm not going to partially apply the law to one group of people that doesn't apply to another group of people," tells me that she covered her ass on the Discrimination charge.
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

  10. #90
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Gay judge refuses to perform Straight weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefgator View Post
    It is not within the scope of her duties. In Texas, it is optional for a Judge to perform weddings.
    That has been my position as i stated previously.
    Additionally, her explaination of "I'm not going to partially apply the law to one group of people that doesn't apply to another group of people," tells me that she covered her ass on the Discrimination charge
    No it depends upon the circumstance of her refusal to perform the ceremony if asked to do so as I outlined previously; any reason or no reason but not due to her views toward sexual orientation. She is not there to legislate, a judge is to follow the law and apply it according to case law, statute or the like.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •