Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 187

Thread: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

  1. #121
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,618
    Haven't had a chance to do much digging...but do we even KNOW where he got the gun or what the circumstances are? Hell...why not....let's build the bonfire and tie bio-mom to a stake...but....before we strike the match...

  2. #122
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,279

    Re: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    I’m not NRA and I’ve never given a dime to the NRA, so knock off the BS. The problem with your idea of gun laws is that there’s no common sense involved, and you refuse to listen to why your latest idea won’t work when it’s politely debunked.
    You keep claiming that you have debunked my contention that common sense laws are a bad idea. I'm still waiting.


    A gun is more dangerous than an automobile?!
    I said lethal. Are you suggesting that a handgun is something other than lethal? I must have missed something. enlighten me as to the real reason hand guns were designed? I'll hold my breath.

    Did you really take a minute to think that through before you wrote it?
    Did you really take a minute to digest my point. Honestly, heal thyself.


    Conversely, there are countries that heavily regulate firearms, yet have very high crime rates and there are countries with lenient gun laws with virtually no crime. How do you account for this, if you believe that gun laws have a direct (or any effect) on violent crime?
    You show me where I claimed this. All I suggested was to require a simple safety class before issuing a permit. I never said anything about "controlling firearms or making them more difficult to obtain". If your idea of difficult to obtain is passing a simple safety test, well hell I guess I'm Hitler then.

    would this safety course have prevented this tragedy? Probably not. Could it prevent others? In my opinion yes.

    This is precisely what I mean. Gun nuts will not discuss this issue with any rational thought.

  3. #123
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    It could also be the kid. Sometimes, even kids who have parents who teach them all this stuff bring loaded guns to schools or even kill people.
    No argument here. There was a murder committed here about ten years ago involving a person who was always troubled and came from a great family. I would say that a majority of the time there is a parent problem though.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #124
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,279

    Re: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Haven't had a chance to do much digging...but do we even KNOW where he got the gun or what the circumstances are? Hell...why not....let's build the bonfire and tie bio-mom to a stake...but....before we strike the match...
    The statement in the press credited "To the authorities" suggest that he got it on a visit to his Mother's house. Take that as a paraphrase and with a grain of salt.

  5. #125
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,014

    Re: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    'Jail' (Juvenile Detention) may be the best thing for this kid considering his family circumstances. AT least in detention he would get mandated access to counseling and therapy.

    From the story...

    If the boy is found guilty of the charges, he could be ordered to spend up to 30 days in juvenile detention and 12 months on the juvenile version of probation and to perform 150 hours of community service.
    A capacity hearing will be held in two weeks to determine if the charges will ultimately proceed. Under state law, children between 8 and 12 years old can face charges if a court determines the child has the capacity to understand an act is wrong."

    His family history...


    "When he was 2 ½, police found methamphetamine and syringes in his mother's belongings, court documents say. Later that same month, Chaffin was charged with forgery after trying to cash stolen checks. She was later convicted. When he was 3 ½, Chaffin was charged with selling marijuana out of a Kitsap motel. By this point, she had four children, according to court records. Meanwhile, Jason Cochran was convicted of domestic violence for assaulting Chaffin. He later violated the protection order. He repeatedly failed to pay child support and was held in contempt. Three or four years ago, they both relinquished their parental rights"

    Tragic situation...
    Jail is never the right place for a kid purely because of having bad parents. If there is no alternative he needs to be in foster care if he cannot return to one of his parents and the grandparents/aunts/uncles are not able or willing to give the place a stable and loving home.

  6. #126
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Tons of stories doesn't erase the fact that it isn't normal in a lot of places and probably not normal just in general, especially for a nine year old. My point is that we don't know what his intentions were and I'm not going to draw conclusions until I have more information. I don't see why anybody else would either. People are far too quick to draw the conclusions from stories that they want to be true. I'd rather wait for more information.
    Fair enough. I remember constantly having random searches when I was in grade school and they always caught at least one kid with some kind of weapon, but I do admit it isn't normal behavior for a kid to bring a weapon to school.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #127
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,618

    Re: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Jail is never the right place for a kid purely because of having bad parents. If there is no alternative he needs to be in foster care if he cannot return to one of his parents and the grandparents/aunts/uncles are not able or willing to give the place a stable and loving home.
    Kid wouldnt be sent to Juvenile detention (not 'jail', the klink, or the big house) purely for having bad parents. If warranted and found guilty of bringing a weapon to school and being responsible for the shooting of a child, he would be sent to Juvenile detention for 30 days in juvenile detention during which time he would be observed, assessed, and treated. We arent talking chain gangs and sheriff Arrapaio.

  8. #128
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,317

    Re: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Attachment 67122928

    Attachment 67122927

    Local News | Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake' | Seattle Times Newspaper

    I'm the first one here to suggest that there be tighter controls on firearms. This whole thing is sickening. And obviously the Mother will get sued at the very least in a civil suit. But I am at a total loss to understand how prosecuting this 9 year old boy, AND keeping him from his custodial parent is a good idea in the wake of this tragic accident.

    Putting a 9 year old boy in jail accomplishes what here?
    This is a crappy situation, but I don't see how curbing everyone else's rights is going to fix anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #129
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    You keep claiming that you have debunked my contention that common sense laws are a bad idea. I'm still waiting.
    I’m still waiting for you to put forward a common sense law…


    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I said lethal. Are you suggesting that a handgun is something other than lethal? I must have missed something. enlighten me as to the real reason hand guns were designed? I'll hold my breath.
    Wait, let me get a handle on this logic. Cars kill 150% more people than firearms, but a gun is more lethal, in you opinion? A gunshot wound is fatal less than half the time, despite what you saw on CSI this week, but because a car is presumably built with a “less lethal” purpose, it’s not as dangerous as a firearm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Did you really take a minute to digest my point. Honestly, heal thyself.
    I’ll take your concession here, since you refused to address the point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    You show me where I claimed this. All I suggested was to require a simple safety class before issuing a permit. I never said anything about "controlling firearms or making them more difficult to obtain". If your idea of difficult to obtain is passing a simple safety test, well hell I guess I'm Hitler then.

    would this safety course have prevented this tragedy? Probably not. Could it prevent others? In my opinion yes.

    This is precisely what I mean. Gun nuts will not discuss this issue with any rational thought.
    You claimed it right here:

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Shall I list countries with stricter gun control laws that have a lower rate of murders? No of course you wouldn't want to go there.
    You implied that more gun control had a correlation to crime rate and then danced around answering when you were called to actually back up your statement.

    I’ll take your bait, how would a licensing process like what one goes through for a vehicle have kept this kid from taking a gun to school?


    Honestly, I think it would be hilarious if guns had the same licensing process as cars.

    No one of any age would need a permit or training to own and operate a gun on private property.

    There would be no requirement to register any gun kept on that private property.

    The only restrictions on what a person could buy would be limited by depth of their wallet.

    There would be no background check for purchases and no database of who bought what and no restrictions on who a person could buy from.

    They could take their gun to all 50 states without having to go through a different licensing process in each state.

    All this for a 30 minute range test and a couple multiple choice questions to get licensed? Maybe you’re on to something here… or maybe you just haven’t thought this through, like the rest of your argument.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  10. #130
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,279

    Re: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Kid wouldnt be sent to Juvenile detention (not 'jail', the klink, or the big house)
    For someone who claims to have run a Juvi center you're either completely out of touch with reality or full of BS. Juvi is jail to a 9 year old. To suggest otherwise is turd polish.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •