Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 187

Thread: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

  1. #111
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    There are other things such as contributing to the delinquincy of a minor - and so on . . . whenever a parent is the reason why a child was able to commit harm or a vile act they get scrutinized and potentially ruled against as a cohort.
    Blah blah blah. Kid took the gun. Less you can demonstrate that she gave the kid the gun, knew he was taking it to school, etc. than there is no reason to hold her legally responsible.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #112
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Blah blah blah. Kid took the gun. Less you can demonstrate that she gave the kid the gun, knew he was taking it to school, etc. than there is no reason to hold her legally responsible.
    The mother's actions directly enabled the child's actions and the related injury.

    And she shouldn't be punished?

    Nevermind that she'll never learn and grow up - if she doesn't face harsh punishment now what will happen next? A murder? A kid bringing her drugs to school and then we'll hear about kids dying of cocaine use in the bathroom . . . at some point peopel who prove they're incapable of not ruining the lives and health of others must be dealt with and accept the consequences of their thoughtlessness, carelessness and complete lack of concern and awareness.

    Your logic fails miserably to coincide with reality, accountability and reason.

    Thankfully this child will recover - but what if she didn't? if the mother's irresponsible parenting led to the death of another child you'd still hold this view?
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 02-24-12 at 08:15 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #113
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,279

    Re: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Not legally. She didn't shoot anyone. She can be fiscally liable as I have already stated (thus meaning that I did not claim that she shouldn't be held liable).
    You claim she shouldn't be held responsible for his actions. Which is insane since had she not left an illegal loaded 45 where a child could get to it this would never have happened.

    You seriously can't connect the dots there?

    Wow, just wow.

  4. #114
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Sincerely,

    Charlton Heston
    Funny. Do you always wear the Partisan Blinders for the duration of your comedy routine?

    If you'd like to debate what I posted in an intelligent fashion, I'd be glad to show you the error of your ways.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  5. #115
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,279

    Re: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    Funny. Do you always wear the Partisan Blinders for the duration of your comedy routine?

    If you'd like to debate what I posted in an intelligent fashion, I'd be glad to show you the error of your ways.
    First of all, to suggest that common sense gun laws don't work is at the heart of the NRA argument. There is no rational way to discuss even the simplest of regulations with anyone toeing the NRA line. So spare me. I have danced this dance too many times.

    Here's a simple example. Why not simply require a safety training class before issuing a license for a firearm? We test people for cars, certainly a gun is as lethal of more so than an automoble (cue up the, but, but, but a gun is a right comeback).

    But no, NRA fans throw the 2nd Amendment out, get all butt hurt and whine doing so means the government is taking our guns away. You can't argue with irrational people.

  6. #116
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    02-24-12 @ 10:05 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28

    Re: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    First of all, to suggest that common sense gun laws don't work is at the heart of the NRA argument. There is no rational way to discuss even the simplest of regulations with anyone toeing the NRA line. So spare me. I have danced this dance too many times.
    I'm not an NRA member. The NRA wants a lot more than mere freedom to own a gun. They want everyone to own a gun. Is that right? no. but it's the power to be had because you have a government that CAN make it a reality. That's a great argument against a government, period.

    Here's a simple example. Why not simply require a safety training class before issuing a license for a firearm? We test people for cars, certainly a gun is as lethal of more so than an automoble (cue up the, but, but, but a gun is a right comeback).

    But no, NRA fans throw the 2nd Amendment out, get all butt hurt and whine doing so means the government is taking our guns away. You can't argue with irrational people.
    I'm not in favor of licensing system for drivers. I don't even own a gun. I don't do drugs, but everyone has the right to do what they will with their own bodies.

  7. #117
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    First of all, to suggest that common sense gun laws don't work is at the heart of the NRA argument. There is no rational way to discuss even the simplest of regulations with anyone toeing the NRA line. So spare me. I have danced this dance too many times.
    I’m not NRA and I’ve never given a dime to the NRA, so knock off the BS. The problem with your idea of gun laws is that there’s no common sense involved, and you refuse to listen to why your latest idea won’t work when it’s politely debunked.

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Here's a simple example. Why not simply require a safety training class before issuing a license for a firearm? We test people for cars, certainly a gun is as lethal of more so than an automoble (cue up the, but, but, but a gun is a right comeback).
    A gun is more dangerous than an automobile?! Did you really take a minute to think that through before you wrote it? Let me quickly clue you in: It's estimated that there are more privately owned guns than there are cars in this country, yet which do you think kills more people each day?

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    But no, NRA fans throw the 2nd Amendment out, get all butt hurt and whine doing so means the government is taking our guns away.
    …again, not NRA. Sorry to burst your bubble.

    I’ll say it again; there is no correlation between gun control and crime rate. There are other countries with strict gun laws and low crime rates and there are countries with lax gun laws and high crime rates.

    Conversely, there are countries that heavily regulate firearms, yet have very high crime rates and there are countries with lenient gun laws with virtually no crime. How do you account for this, if you believe that gun laws have a direct (or any effect) on violent crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    You can't argue with irrational people.
    Yet, here I am, trying to do exactly that. *sigh*
    Last edited by theangryamerican; 02-24-12 at 08:39 PM.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  8. #118
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    It's not the gun, it's the parent. It's not the gun, it's the parent. I grew up in an armed household and the guns were semi-secured but I was taught from an early age that guns are not toys, you don't handle it unless you need to use it or clean it, you don't point at anything you don't want to shoot, they should always be treated as loaded, they are a great responsibility and you can't unkill something.
    It could also be the kid. Sometimes, even kids who have parents who teach them all this stuff bring loaded guns to schools or even kill people.

  9. #119
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    It could also be the kid. Sometimes, even kids who have parents who teach them all this stuff bring loaded guns to schools or even kill people.
    True, some kids grow up in good homes and just go wrong at some point, but when Mom is a convicted felon continuing to break the law, I think it's safe to apply Occam's Razor.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  10. #120
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Father says son who took gun to school 'made a bad mistake'

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    There are tons of stories about kids bringing guns to school, sometimes at younger ages than this child. In fact when my older cousins went to HS they attended with a bunch of people who kept shotguns in their trucks to go hunting after class. They don't allow it at that school anymore but that used to be a common sight.
    Tons of stories doesn't erase the fact that it isn't normal in a lot of places and probably not normal just in general, especially for a nine year old. My point is that we don't know what his intentions were and I'm not going to draw conclusions until I have more information. I don't see why anybody else would either. People are far too quick to draw the conclusions from stories that they want to be true. I'd rather wait for more information.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •