Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 61

Thread: US opens homeland airspace to use Drones

  1. #21
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: US opens homeland airspace to use Drones

    That heli UAV can only do that with a warrant....
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: US opens homeland airspace to use Drones

    ...and warrants mean so much these days.

  3. #23
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: US opens homeland airspace to use Drones

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    ...and warrants mean so much these days.
    Sadly, there is much truth in this ....
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

  4. #24
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: US opens homeland airspace to use Drones

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefgator View Post
    I think a couple of you guys have a misconception of what a drone is.

    Drones are more accurately called an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV). They are not automatons that fly around independent of human input. There are many types, and many sizes. The ones that you see on the news most often are the very large predator type vehicles that are actually the size of a civilian aircraft. Those are flown via satellite uplink and can be flown from the other side of the world.

    The vehicles in question here, are more about the size of a remote-controlled aircraft that a teenager would fly. There is also the restriction that the pilot must maintain visual line of sight with the aircraft at all times.

    This change in the regulation also has no effect whatsoever on the law regarding surveillance. This basically allows your local radio station to do a remote camera instead of a helicopter traffic report during rush hour. It allows the police to follow a vehicle with a remote instead of a helicopter or aircraft. To do that they still have to have the same search warrants or causal factor that they had with the helicopter.

    I am a dedicated opponent of the patriot act. This however, has no effect whatsoever on your personal liberties.

    No one is picturing a Ginormous multimillion dollar predator drone flying around the city.I am sure that most people are imagining are small thousand dollar drones flying around cities unnoticed being used to spy on people seeing how obtaining warrants seem to be of little value to the government,one day being automated and the possibility of the US government allowing a foreign government to fly its own drones into the US to spy on citizens and to possibly terminate citizens.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #25
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: US opens homeland airspace to use Drones

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    No one is picturing a Ginormous multimillion dollar predator drone flying around the city.I am sure that most people are imagining are small thousand dollar drones flying around cities unnoticed being used to spy on people seeing how obtaining warrants seem to be of little value to the government,one day being automated and the possibility of the US government allowing a foreign government to fly its own drones into the US to spy on citizens and to possibly terminate citizens.
    So, you extrapolating out that a radio station using a UAV to report rush hour traffic will turn into a foreign government assassinating citizens...
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

  6. #26
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: US opens homeland airspace to use Drones

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefgator View Post
    So, you extrapolating out that a radio station using a UAV to report rush hour traffic will turn into a foreign government assassinating citizens...
    When you allow drones for US air space so they can spy on people you open the door for other infringements.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #27
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: US opens homeland airspace to use Drones

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    When you allow drones for US air space so they can spy on people you open the door for other infringements.
    We already have helicopters.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #28
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: US opens homeland airspace to use Drones

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    When you allow drones for US air space so they can spy on people you open the door for other infringements.
    You are letting the word Drone add an element of fear to the equation. This does not allow anyone or anything the ability to spy on anyone. All that this does is to allow for the airspace use by a remotely piloted vehicle. The prohibition against UAVs flying in metropolitan areas had nothing to do with security. It was just an FAA restriction for the safety of manned aircraft due to a collision hazard. If you want to discuss that, I am well versed in that area as well. The only hesitation that I have against this change of regulation is the safety factor of unmanned aircraft.

    I am a libertarian and I do not want my civil liberties trod upon any more than you do. But in this case, there is no effect on anyone's liberties.
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

  9. #29
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: US opens homeland airspace to use Drones

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefgator View Post
    You are letting the word Drone add an element of fear to the equation. This does not allow anyone or anything the ability to spy on anyone. All that this does is to allow for the airspace use by a remotely piloted vehicle. The prohibition against UAVs flying in metropolitan areas had nothing to do with security. It was just an FAA restriction for the safety of manned aircraft due to a collision hazard. If you want to discuss that, I am well versed in that area as well. The only hesitation that I have against this change of regulation is the safety factor of unmanned aircraft.

    I am a libertarian and I do not want my civil liberties trod upon any more than you do. But in this case, there is no effect on anyone's liberties.
    As I understand it (and I may be wrong) the FAA does not regulate hobbyist use of UAVs flying under 400', but they are close to imposing massive regulations on commercial use of UAV's in the same airspace. What's up with that?

  10. #30
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: US opens homeland airspace to use Drones

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    As I understand it (and I may be wrong) the FAA does not regulate hobbyist use of UAVs flying under 400', but they are close to imposing massive regulations on commercial use of UAV's in the same airspace. What's up with that?
    I have no expertise in the Hobby side of things. My post above was poorly written in that it suggests that I am an expert in UAV airspace management. I am well versed in the Aircraft vs. UAV collision hazard. I know some people that I can ask tho. I will get back to you on that side of things.
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •