Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
Results 211 to 216 of 216

Thread: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

  1. #211
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    Read the article...there's more to the story:
    Yep. And again ... what does that have to do with his position on taxes? He was making the same argument long before the bailouts.

  2. #212
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Yep. And again ... what does that have to do with his position on taxes? He was making the same argument long before the bailouts.
    So, let me get this straight. He profits from millions of tax-dollar subsidies and then precedes to demand higher taxes on the wealthy- all the while refusing to donate to the national treasury. There's no moral inconsistency here?

  3. #213
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    So, let me get this straight. He profits from millions of tax-dollar subsidies and then precedes to demand higher taxes on the wealthy- all the while refusing to donate to the national treasury. There's no moral inconsistency here?
    He isn't refusing to donate to the treasury. He is lobbying to raise taxes on the wealthy, which would increase his taxes. In other words, he is calling for systemic change. By definition his own actions won't serve that goal.

  4. #214
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    He isn't refusing to donate to the treasury. He is lobbying to raise taxes on the wealthy, which would increase his taxes. In other words, he is calling for systemic change. By definition his own actions won't serve that goal.
    He has not donated a dollar to the Treasury Direct while yearning to pay more taxes. You would think if he truly wanted to pay more taxes, he would not allow the law to prevent him from doing what is possible through TD. Second, why does he continue to claim deductions and therefore pay less each year in taxes? Third, how would you respond to the millions of dollars in back taxes owed by his company?

    And finally, with those warning of a higher concentration of wealth in this country, why support millions in subsidies that will line the pockets of yet just another individual wall street investment banker?

  5. #215
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    He doesn't have the power to change the tax code unilaterally. All he can DO is advocate for his position ... which is what he's doing.
    And pay the amount of taxes he sees fit. He is just blowing hot air.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  6. #216
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    He has not donated a dollar to the Treasury Direct while yearning to pay more taxes. You would think if he truly wanted to pay more taxes, he would not allow the law to prevent him from doing what is possible through TD. Second, why does he continue to claim deductions and therefore pay less each year in taxes? Third, how would you respond to the millions of dollars in back taxes owed by his company?

    And finally, with those warning of a higher concentration of wealth in this country, why support millions in subsidies that will line the pockets of yet just another individual wall street investment banker?
    Sorry, but he is not "yearning to pay more taxes." What he is arguing is that, from a fiscal/budgetary perspective, taxes on the wealthy should go up -- even if that means he will pay more taxes too. He is not calling for a voluntary tax system. If he was your point would have some merit. But he isn't, so it doesn't.

    As far as subsidies for bankers goes, it was necessary to save the financial system. That's the price we had to pay for foolishly dismantling common sense, effective bank regulations that were put in place following the Great Depression. Of course that huge cost does answer the complaint that the wealthy don't get much in return for their higher tax burden.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •