Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 216

Thread: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

  1. #171
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    That is quite plainly not what it's about. It is obviously about tax policy.
    You are right, it is about tax policy.

    Buffett doesn't think he pays enough taxes.

    Why doesn't he just pay what he feels he should pay?
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  2. #172
    Skeptical Optimist
    Rhapsody1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Seen
    09-20-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    That is quite plainly not what it's about. It is obviously about tax policy.
    Yes, Buffett has always been a liberal when it comes to tax policy, just read his biography. If Buffett wants to be used a political tool to advocate for higher taxes while bemoaning his own low tax rate, then he would be much more credible if he did what the Americans above were doing. Not to mention the hypocrisy of paying himself a lower salary than his secretary while using her higher tax rate as a talking point for higher taxes.
    "There is an excellent correlation between giving society what it wants and making money, and almost no correlation between the desire to make money and how much money one makes." ~Dalio

  3. #173
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    You are right, it is about tax policy.

    Buffett doesn't think he pays enough taxes.

    Why doesn't he just pay what he feels he should pay?
    His argument is that tax policy should change -- not that he personally should pay higher taxes than others who are similarly situated. Paying more than he's required to pay would not advance his argument. In fact it would detract from it as the argument implies that people will only pay what they are required to pay.

  4. #174
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes, people should not express opinions I disagree with. That's the America I want.
    Yeah, Christie needs to shutup. Uhhh, well .......oooops.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #175
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Uh oh, now you're contradicting the conservative argument. Don't you know that people will stop investing if capital gains taxes are raised? Isn't that what happened when Reagan raised them to the same level as ordinary income?
    You know why he raised them?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #176
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,983

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Buffet is ancient, he doesn't need his cash. Why not donate all of it to the government and live on a social security check? Or is he one of those greedy evil rich people?
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  7. #177
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You know why he raised them?
    Yes, I do.

    From the horses mouth:

    Getting the bill passed had required a rare trip by the 40th president to Capitol Hill to browbeat fellow Republicans who had earlier blocked the measure in the House.

    "I think all of us here today know what a herculean effort it took to get this landmark bill to my desk," Reagan said to the assembled crowd.

    The Tax Reform Act of 1986 shifted a large part of the tax burden from individuals to corporations; it also exempted millions of low-income households from federal income taxes. Reagan called it "a sweeping victory for fairness" where "vanishing loopholes and a minimum tax will mean that everybody and every corporation pay their fair share."
    Does any of that sound familiar? Hmmm, kinda sounds like ... OBAMA!!

  8. #178
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Yes, I do.

    From the horses mouth:



    Does any of that sound familiar? Hmmm, kinda sounds like ... OBAMA!!
    Because tax revenue from capital gains had dropped, that's why. Ever heard of the Laffer Curve, where you find the lowest tax point where the maximum revenues occur?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #179
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Yes, I do.

    From the horses mouth:



    Does any of that sound familiar? Hmmm, kinda sounds like ... OBAMA!!
    Not at all, he's about people paying their "fair share", where HE decides what that is.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #180
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,457

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    His argument is that tax policy should change -- not that he personally should pay higher taxes than others who are similarly situated. Paying more than he's required to pay would not advance his argument. In fact it would detract from it as the argument implies that people will only pay what they are required to pay.
    It would make his argument more credible. Because being deliquint on a billion dollars doesn't do much for his credibility, when he complains that he doesn't pay enough taxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •