Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 216

Thread: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

  1. #111
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    188,289

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    You make 375K -1 million a year? That explains almost everything.
    a bit more than that but who is counting

  2. #112
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    06-21-18 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,917

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I spelled out pretty clearly a MORE efficient way to raise revenue.
    Nonsense. You provided a supply side rant that did not address my original response to the topic. Heroic assumptions combined with partisan subjectivity are in no way a substitute for a valid economic argument.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    Nonsense. You provided a supply side rant that did not address my original response to the topic. Heroic assumptions combined with partisan subjectivity are in no way a substitute for a valid economic argument.
    Wow, try laying off that Kush plant for a while.

  4. #114
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    06-21-18 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,917

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Wow, try laying off that Kush plant for a while.
    Try to stay relevant in a thread for a change.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    Try to stay relevant in a thread for a change.
    Either you're upset because someone came along and disproved your statement that the most efficient way to raise government revenue is to tax the rich.... or you actually aren't able to follow the pretty straightforward explanation I gave you.

    Either way, though, you were owned. That's not my problem.

  6. #116
    Distributist
    Jeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,326

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Wow, try laying off that Kush plant for a while.
    If you'd stop insulting him and his alma matter for two seconds, maybe you'd do a double take and realize that the top marginal tax rate is at its lowest rate since the 30s. In general, I'm all for tax cuts whenever possible. In fact, $280 billion of ARRA was in the form of tax cuts. We take in 10 percentage points of GDP less than comparable developed economies.

    So stop trolling him.

    Oh, and for the record almost all net job creation in the United States from 1980 to 2005 occurred in firms less than five years old. Horse and sparrow theories are unsound. Even Thomas Sowell, the most conservative of conservative economists, doesn't believe in such a thing as trickle down economics.
    Last edited by Jeezy; 02-23-12 at 10:57 PM.
    SWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie
    Thanks for your awesomeness, Jeezy.

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy View Post
    If you'd stop insulting him and his alma matter for two seconds, maybe you'd do a double take and realize that the top marginal tax rate is at its lowest rate since the 30s. In general, I'm all for tax cuts whenever possible. In fact, $280 billion of ARRA was in the form of tax cuts. We take in 10 percentage points of GDP less than comparable developed economies.

    So stop trolling him.

    Oh, and for the record almost all net job creation in the United States from 1980 to 2005 occurred in firms less than five years old. Horse and sparrow theories are unsound. Even Thomas Sowell, the most conservative of conservative economists, doesn't believe in such a thing as trickle down economics.
    He laid out a challenge to anyone who could refute his claim that taxing the wealthy is the most efficient way to raise revenue. (Note that word there...)

    I took on that challenge and won.

    He claims I didn't "address the question," which is weak.

    Nobody is even talking about Reaganomics here.

    I'm talking about increasing the availability of raw materials. If you guys can't understand how having better access to natural resources might make an economy more vibrant, all I have left are insults, because you're beyond reach.

    This isn't even a "right vs left" argument. Natural resources make a nation richer. End of story.
    Last edited by Peter Grimm; 02-23-12 at 11:10 PM.

  8. #118
    Distributist
    Jeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,326

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    He laid out a challenge to anyone who could refute his claim that taxing the wealthy is the most efficient way to raise revenue. (Note that word there...)

    I took on that challenge and won.

    He claims I didn't "address the question," which is weak.

    Nobody is even talking about Reaganomics here.

    I'm talking about increasing the availability of raw materials. If you guys can't understand how having better access to natural resources might make an economy more vibrant, all I have left are insults, because you're beyond reach.

    This isn't even a "right vs left" argument. Natural resources make a nation richer. End of story.
    Looking back, your argument is actually dumber than I originally thought. Create "hundreds of thousands of high-paying jobs"? The totality of Royal Dutch Shell's employment is 101,000. And that's everybody. Exxon has just above 80,000.

    You honestly believe that removing a few paltry regulations in the Gulf and Alaska will employment will create employment to the tune of three new Royal Dutch Shells? Keep dreaming. Oh, and by the way...the vast majority of unemployed in this country are in commercial real estate construction. I'm sure they'd all love being roughnecks on an off-shore platform.
    SWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie
    Thanks for your awesomeness, Jeezy.

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy View Post
    Looking back, your argument is actually dumber than I originally thought. Create "hundreds of thousands of high-paying jobs"? The totality of Royal Dutch Shell's employment is 101,000. And that's everybody. Exxon has just above 80,000.

    You honestly believe that removing a few paltry regulations in the Gulf and Alaska will employment will create employment to the tune of three new Royal Dutch Shells? Keep dreaming. Oh, and by the way...the vast majority of unemployed in this country are in commercial real estate construction. I'm sure they'd all love being roughnecks on an off-shore platform.
    Opening up drilling would improve the overall economy. Job growth would occur in nearly every sector of the economy. I wasn't talking about jobs as roughnecks on an off-shore platform (although those jobs pay very well).

    I can't think of a single business in America that isn't directly impacted by the price of energy.

  10. #120
    Distributist
    Jeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,326

    Re: Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Opening up drilling would improve the overall economy. Job growth would occur in every sector of the economy, just about. I wasn't talking about jobs as roughnecks on an off-shore platform (although those jobs pay very well).

    I can't think of a single business in America that isn't directly impacted by the price of energy.
    You still spouted off a completely irrelevant "hundreds of thousands" number. Any reduction in domestic oil price would be offset (pretty rapidly) by growing global demand for petroleum, especially considering the time and effort it will take to actually build the infrastructure to extract the oil and physically drill it out. Right now, our domestic consumption is over 4 times the amount of domestic production and growing. I seriously doubt that blindly drilling for more oil at a time when our own domestic production peaked 30 years ago is going to meaningfully affect the deficit in any way. At most, it would be a band-aid on a gaping wound.

    Eliminating loopholes in our tax system and updating the brackets to reflect income growth trends? That would be much better. Natural resources are fine and dandy but we aren't sitting on any gold mines.

    Drill, baby drill =/= AUTOMATIK JOBZ AND DEFICIT GO BYE BYE YEYYYYY
    Last edited by Jeezy; 02-23-12 at 11:33 PM.
    SWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie
    Thanks for your awesomeness, Jeezy.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •