Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 390

Thread: Afghans Protest Alleged Koran Desecration

  1. #171
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Afghans vent fury over Koran burning, U.S. apologizes

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, MTP, but I get the feeling that asking these crazy people to stop killing our guys is like asking a bear to stop mauling you when you get attacked in the forest. I don't believe that burning a book deserves the death penalty any more than taunting a bear deserves a mauling, but if you **** with a bear you are going to get attacked regardless.

    I said above that we are fighting a war on their soil. It is incumbent on us to be mindful of their culture and customs. If their culture, customs, and attitudes are crazy (or if there are extremists who happen to be crazy and violent), that's not something that can change and it's not something that being outraged will solve, it's just a fact of life.
    I understand it would do nothing, I really do. But how often does Obama come out and support or bring attention to other worthless and/or doomed causes merely for political gain? All the time. Just like any other politician. Heck, his whole State of the Union was for a doomed cause lol. He knows none of the crap he talked about is getting passed. Would it kill him (in a time where many of us in the military think that he is against us) to come out and ask for the violence to stop? If anything, just to do what a LEADER is supposed to and support his subordinates! Thats what Obama doesn't understand about the position he holds. Just his words influence people. His actions influence people. He doesn't have to pass a bill or push legislation to affect people. He can just bring attention to an issue or show support for someone and people listen. Even Bush understood that. Say what you want about Bush, but he understood the magnitude of his position and the power it wielded. He understood that his words carried weight. Clinton got that as well. Obama seems to think he's just another dude. I hate to tell him, he's not. He's the friggin President and he needs to lead.
    To your second point, I will not form an opinion about the burning of the Quran's over there until the investigation reveals whether detainees where using them to pass messages. Apparently that is an allegation that is floating around right now. I heard of that happening in Iraq when I was there so it wouldn't shock me. If they don't want us to burn their "holy" book, then they shouldn't use it to plot and plan.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  2. #172
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Afghans vent fury over Koran burning, U.S. apologizes

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    If I am in charge I will impose the death penalty.
    I have to many infraction points to call you what you are. Wait about a week and I will have enough credit to do it though.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  3. #173
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Afghans vent fury over Koran burning, U.S. apologizes

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, MTP, ...........
    Thanks for being civil though. I appreciate it.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  4. #174
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Afghans vent fury over Koran burning, U.S. apologizes

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I understand it would do nothing, I really do. But how often does Obama come out and support or bring attention to other worthless and/or doomed causes merely for political gain? All the time. Just like any other politician. Heck, his whole State of the Union was for a doomed cause lol. He knows none of the crap he talked about is getting passed. Would it kill him (in a time where many of us in the military think that he is against us) to come out and ask for the violence to stop? If anything, just to do what a LEADER is supposed to and support his subordinates! Thats what Obama doesn't understand about the position he holds. Just his words influence people. His actions influence people. He doesn't have to pass a bill or push legislation to affect people. He can just bring attention to an issue or show support for someone and people listen. Even Bush understood that. Say what you want about Bush, but he understood the magnitude of his position and the power it wielded. He understood that his words carried weight. Clinton got that as well. Obama seems to think he's just another dude. I hate to tell him, he's not. He's the friggin President and he needs to lead.
    Well, I hardly think anything Obama says here will gain anything politically - it's not the crazy violent Afghans who are voting for him, and the people he's trying to appease with those apologies aren't voting for him either. And in all honesty I don't think anything he says will affect the behavior of these Afghans who are killing folks. If you're a Pashtun and you're already set on committing violence, are the words of some President halfway around the world really supposed to have an effect on you? I'm not sure but I'm probably gonna go with no.

    To your second point, I will not form an opinion about the burning of the Quran's over there until the investigation reveals whether detainees where using them to pass messages. Apparently that is an allegation that is floating around right now. I heard of that happening in Iraq when I was there so it wouldn't shock me. If they don't want us to burn their "holy" book, then they shouldn't use it to plot and plan.
    fair nuff.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  5. #175
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Afghans vent fury over Koran burning, U.S. apologizes

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    If I am in charge I will impose the death penalty.
    You sound just as extreme as those who kill people in retaliation for a couple of burnt books, you know that right?
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  6. #176
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: Afghans vent fury over Koran burning, U.S. apologizes

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I have to many infraction points to call you what you are. Wait about a week and I will have enough credit to do it though.
    Once you have accumulated enough credit, just speak your mind pls.

  7. #177
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: Afghans vent fury over Koran burning, U.S. apologizes

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    You sound just as extreme as those who kill people in retaliation for a couple of burnt books, you know that right?
    I am a wee bit more extreme than the laws in Singapore. Here they will be charged under the Sedition Act.

  8. #178
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Afghans vent fury over Koran burning, U.S. apologizes

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    I am a wee bit more extreme than the laws in Singapore. Here they will be charged under the Sedition Act.
    Ah. Well, the civilized world doesn't put people to death for burning books, whether the act was intentional or not.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  9. #179
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: Afghans vent fury over Koran burning, U.S. apologizes

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    Ah. Well, the civilized world doesn't put people to death for burning books, whether the act was intentional or not.
    It was insinuated by one of your comrades. So I said ok.

  10. #180
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Afghans vent fury over Koran burning, U.S. apologizes

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Well, I hardly think anything Obama says here will gain anything politically - it's not the crazy violent Afghans who are voting for him, and the people he's trying to appease with those apologies aren't voting for him either. And in all honesty I don't think anything he says will affect the behavior of these Afghans who are killing folks. If you're a Pashtun and you're already set on committing violence, are the words of some President halfway around the world really supposed to have an effect on you? I'm not sure but I'm probably gonna go with no.
    No, no, no. I didn't mean to appease to the Afghanis. Screw them. I meant to US. THE MILITARY. I'll just tell you most military member's view of Obama. First, to be fair, he had a hard act to follow in W Bush. The guy was so pro-military its ridiculous. Sure, he sent us to war. However, he took very good care of us. Thats why you hardly ever heard a servicemember complain about deploying when he was POTUS. Bush understood that if he was going to deploy us that much, he had to take care of us. Now, regarding Obama, this is the view. We have fought for this country for 10 plus years. This guy comes in and says he's cutting a lot of us out, he's entertaining cutting benefits that many of us reenlisted for, some of us feel he is using us as a social petri dish (DADT/women in combat), he can't pronounce Corpsman properly, and he couples good comments about us with a campaign speech disguised as a SOTU. Not to mention all of the fiscal cuts being made that severely hamper our ability to train. He's being viewed in the same light as Clinton. We didn't like him very much either. Of course, this leads to a bigger issue that is for another thread: How to stop these expansions and contractions of military spending.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •