Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 390

Thread: Afghans Protest Alleged Koran Desecration

  1. #121
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Afghans Protest Alleged Koran Desecration

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    All parties are at fault: the detainees who negligently left the Koran behind, those who burned it, those who have acted like animals killing and rioting and the commanders in charge of the burning. There is nothing that would appease those who rioted. There is nothing that would win the protesters over, even perfection.

    This situation merely ignited a tinderbox of hatred that had already been existent.
    That may well be true. But you don't withhold criticism, or speak to the importance of not doing something just because others are also at fault. And of those at fault, only the soldiers are us. So, self assessment means more than assessing the others at this moment.

    We have to deal with the actions, true, but we also have to make our people understand this was a mistake and take steps to assure it doesn't happen again.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #122
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Afghans Protest Alleged Koran Desecration

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That may well be true. But you don't withhold criticism, or speak to the importance of not doing something just because others are also at fault. And of those at fault, only the soldiers are us. So, self assessment means more than assessing the others at this moment.

    We have to deal with the actions, true, but we also have to make our people understand this was a mistake and take steps to assure it doesn't happen again.
    You are absolving the people who left the Koran behind. That in itself is a desecration of the Koran. You are absolving the protesters, people who were under no compulsion to act like animals and as a result deaths occurred. The US military has already admitted fault, made their amends and is in the process of seeing that this does not happen again.

  3. #123
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Afghans Protest Alleged Koran Desecration

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    You are absolving the people who left the Koran behind. That in itself is a desecration of the Koran. You are absolving the protesters, people who were under no compulsion to act like animals and as a result deaths occurred. The US military has already admitted fault, made their amends and is in the process of seeing that this does not happen again.
    No, I'm not. I'm saying that in assessment, we start with our actions. All of this will be part of the equation, but that accepting all of that as true, doesn't negate the fact that it was a mistake. It should not have been done because of what our mission is. The reason anyone should every consider offending someone is when doing so hinders the mission, our goal, purpose. I think this gets lost in the discussion.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #124
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,246

    Re: Afghans vent fury over Koran burning, U.S. apologizes

    Friggin Muslims need to grow the **** up. Seriously!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #125
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Afghans Protest Alleged Koran Desecration

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, I'm not. I'm saying that in assessment, we start with our actions. All of this will be part of the equation, but that accepting all of that as true, doesn't negate the fact that it was a mistake. It should not have been done because of what our mission is.
    The mistake has been admitted to that had been established the moment the US became aware of the situation. More, measures are being taken to prevent other such mistakes.

    The reason anyone should every consider offending someone is when doing so hinders the mission, our goal, purpose. I think this gets lost in the discussion.
    The mistake was clearly unintentional. No one purposely set out to offend any Islam, Military leader or common person; to suggest as much is to inject contrivances in facts presented.

  6. #126
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Afghans Protest Alleged Koran Desecration

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    The mistake has been admitted to that had been established the moment the US became aware of the situation. More, measures are being taken to prevent other such mistakes.
    Good for them. This is exactly what they should do.


    The mistake was clearly unintentional. No one purposely set out to offend any Islam, Military leader or common person; to suggest as much is to inject contrivances in facts presented.
    Outside of how we treat the soldiers, this really doesn't matter. So,while I would not attach or assign any harsh punishments, I would reenforce the importance of avoiding this in the future.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #127
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Afghans vent fury over Koran burning, U.S. apologizes

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Friggin Muslims need to grow the **** up. Seriously!
    You should have seen the reaction here when someone tore up and bible in Class. No, we didn't have riots, but the class got quite angry and verbal.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #128
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,602

    Re: Afghans vent fury over Koran burning, U.S. apologizes

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Friggin Muslims need to grow the **** up. Seriously!
    Shame on you! We can ****in pop a blood vessel if someone dares to display a nativity in this country, but you have to be very understanding and sensitive to the Muslims!!! Dont you know how important their culture and faith is to them???

  9. #129
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,246

    Re: Afghans vent fury over Koran burning, U.S. apologizes

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You should have seen the reaction here when someone tore up and bible in Class. No, we didn't have riots, but the class got quite angry and verbal.
    Ooooooooh! "angry", and, "verbal"! Holy crap!!

    How many people died when Christ on The Cross, in a bucket of piss was displayed as art? What do you think the response would have been had that been a picture of Muhammed? Or, a Koran?

    Gimme' a break, dude! You got as much growing up to do as the Muslim community does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #130
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Afghans vent fury over Koran burning, U.S. apologizes

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Ooooooooh! "angry", and, "verbal"! Holy crap!!

    How many people died when Christ on The Cross, in a bucket of piss was displayed as art? What do you think the response would have been had that been a picture of Muhammed? Or, a Koran?

    Gimme' a break, dude! You got as much growing up to do as the Muslim community does.
    A very different environment, but without supervision, someone could have gotten hurt.

    We're only slightly better when it comes to over-reacting.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •