Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 513

Thread: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

  1. #431
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Facts without context are like the emperor without clothes... impressive only to the servile, humorous to the observant, and a reason to seek rational conversation elsewhere for the intelligent.
    Facts are facts here.

  2. #432
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Facts are facts here.
    And I'm sure that trolling is trolling there too.

  3. #433
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What's up with that? It's BS that's what.
    "US oil production last year rose to its highest level in almost a decade, thanks to an increase in the use of “unconventional” extraction techniques ."
    US oil production revives despite offshore disruption - FT.com

    Where are the price reductions at the pump due to the increased US production you claimed would lower gas prices???
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #434
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Hey, you got something you think will work, by ALL means get busy developing it. But....(*ahem*) and let me capitalize this so you can get it right....DON'T CUT OFF CURRENT METHOD OF ENERGY SO THAT YOU CAN FURTHER YOUR AGENDA!!!!!
    What, do you think we'll suddenly turn out the lights on you tomorrow? No way! We can't do that. Transitioning to All-American energy will take some time. And oil will continue to be used during that time. And even after we aren't burning oil in cars any longer, we'll still continue to use it. There's LOTS of things you can use oil for that don't include burning it on the way to the grocery store.

    So don't think anyone pushing for alternative energy intends to pull the national energy rug out from under you. Rather the intent is to build an even stronger, American-made floor for us ALL to stand on. We don't need a bunch of fundamentalist tweekers holding our nation's life-blood in their hands any longer. Help make America stronger by getting those monkeys of our back, and don't be put off by people and presidents try to do that very thing!
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  5. #435
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:55 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,883

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    What may be the most recent legislative CAFE action (increasing CAFE standards), the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, passed the House with 50% of the voting Republicans voting no while only 2% of the voting Democrats voted no.

    It passed the Senate with 15% of the voting Republicans voting no while only 2% of the voting Democrats voted no.

    Clearly the Republicans in the House did not think it a positive turn of events. Votes: Bill Summary & Status - 110th Congress (2007 - 2008) - H.R.6 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)


    And what does the current Obama proposal to increase CAFE once again bring us from the positive party on the right ?

    Once again... the party of No.

    Raising the CAFE standard to 54.5 will add about $9,000, in today's dollars, to the cost of every vehicle on the market. Used car salesmen will be very happy.

  6. #436
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Raising the CAFE standard to 54.5 will add about $9,000, in today's dollars, to the cost of every vehicle on the market. Used car salesmen will be very happy.
    It has to make sense in order to pull the trigger on this stuff. If it isn't going to work for us, why do it.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  7. #437
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Facts not in evidence.


    Chew on that, then give us a source for your claims.
    Already did. Try reading for a change.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  8. #438
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    So, since we can assume the other 30% comes from the general fund(s), your claim below is wrong:



    If you don't drive, you do pay (30%). However, most everybody drives, making your point practically pointless.

    And even if you didn't drive, part of your bus fare / taxi fare / airplane fare would include the transporters cost of fuel, including fuel taxes, which really means you have no point at all. Even the cost of food includes the fuel tax that was incurred delivering it from the farm to the processing plant to the store. Rather than no point, you seem to have a negative point... quantum theory may be required to determine just how much of a non-point you have presented.

    CAUTION: Gravity may be warped due to a temporal shift in the area of Gill's post
    Wow, see you finally actually read the posts without someone holding your hand.

    So, you're pissed that the public has to pay for 30% of the highways ??? Maybe that's because the public benefits far more than that for their existence.

    What percentage of light rail is paid for by the public ??? I'll wait.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  9. #439
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    11-11-12 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    158

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

    J-mac how can you say we don't have enough oil in this country to drill? They won't completely tap into alaska and Pennsylvania's oil business is great. I also have a friend who works in the industry in PA and he told me he was told there is enough oil in PA alone to last the us 10 years. If we haven't figured something better than oil in 10 years then there will be something terribly wrong.

  10. #440
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Not yet, but the potential is there with exploitation by big oil:

    The World's Biggest Oil Reserves

    HOUSTON -- "This month Iraq will finalize contracts with the likes of ExxonMobil, Royal Dutch Shell and BP to develop some of its biggest oil fields. These giants are among the world's last remaining pockets of so-called "easy oil." They don't require ultradeep drilling or innovative production techniques, just the application of Big Oil know-how. No wonder the oil companies agreed to develop Iraq's fields without even getting an ownership stake in the fields and collecting as little as $1.15 per barrel recovered.

    Given the size of Iraq's undeveloped giants there are no technical reasons why within 10 years the country can't supplant both Iran and Russia to become the world's No. 2 oil producer after Saudi Arabia. No wonder Iraq holds three of the top 10 fields of the future."

    The World's Biggest Oil Reserves - Forbes.com
    Exploitation ????

    Didn't realize these evil oil companies were forcing the Iraqis to allow them to drill their oil fields and pay them billions of dollars.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •