Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 513

Thread: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

  1. #281
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    That's not what I said. What I said was that gas prices were higher under Bush and only fell temporarily when the economy collapsed.
    Well, that doesn't excite the drones. But if you do an article like CNS News did, moronically comparing gas prices at the end of the Bush administration to prices today, well, the drones get all aquiver. The moral of this story: the drones are really, really dumb.

  2. #282
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I'm sick of this fact. While it is true on the surface, it doesn't take into account that the economy had just fallen into the toilet 3 months before he took office. Demand went way down, and therefore so did the price. When Obama took office the Dow was 7,949.09. It's now over 12,000. I'm not saying "yay Obama," but I am saying that demand for gas is likely higher than it was then. To think that gas prices would have continued to stay that low is unrealistic. It's probably now just slightly higher than it would have been in January, 2009 if the economy hadn't nearly collapsed 3 months before.

    If McCain had won the election, gas would still be high, and we'd be hearing this number from liberals. It's really bad hackery.
    What it proves is nothing has been addressed since the markets acted irrationally the last time. That does fall on Obama.

  3. #283
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    What it proves is nothing has been addressed since the markets acted irrationally the last time. That does fall on Obama.
    Really? Who is behind the big push to prevent regulation of oil derivatives? Can you say Koch Industries? Why do you think the Koch brothers put so much time and effort into electing Republicans and ousting Obama? Hmmm....

    How Koch Became An Oil Speculation Powerhouse | ThinkProgress

    Bernie Sanders, with eight other Democrats, authored a bill last year seeking to curb oil speculation. Dodd-Frank also sought to curb oil speculation, but it was hopelessly watered down by lobbyists, and Republican members of the CFTC are stonewalling new regulations.

  4. #284
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year


  5. #285
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I'm sick of this fact.
    Sorry, facts are facts....Even when they are uncomfortably painful for your guy.

    While it is true on the surface,...

    Argh, here we go with the spin.....


    Here are no less than 10 facts you need to learn, address, and answer to...

    1. Gas Prices Are Skyrocketing Under President Obama: The oil futures market is just that, a futures market. The price-per-barrel spikes in oil this week have not affected the domestic market yet. In fact, former Shell Oil President John Hofmeister made the prediction in December 2010 that America would face $5/gallon gasoline by 2012, a full month before the revolution in Egypt began. At the end of President George W. Bush’s two terms in office, prices were 9% lower than when he took office (adjusted for inflation). The day before President Obama was inaugurated; the average price of a gallon of gas was $1.83. Today, that average is $3.14.

    2. President Obama Has Crippled Domestic Oil Exploration: Putting aside calls from some who want to increase domestic exploration to areas in Alaska and elsewhere, President Obama has completely shut down the existing oil drilling infrastructure in the U.S. At least 103 permits are awaiting review by the Bureau of Ocean Energy
    Management, Regulation and Enforcement. The federal government has not approved a single new exploratory drilling plan in the Gulf of Mexico since Obama “lifted” his deepwater drilling moratorium in October 2010. Obama also reversed an earlier decision by his administration to open access to coastal waters for exploration, instead placing a seven-year ban on drilling in the Atlantic and Pacific Coasts and Eastern Gulf of Mexico as part of the government’s 2012-2017 Outer Continental Shelf Program.

    3. The Obama Permitorium is Costing the Government Much-Needed Revenue: The Gulf accounts for more than 25 percent of domestic oil production. With production in the Gulf expected to drop in 2011 by 220,000 barrels per day, the Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates the U.S. will suffer $3.7 million in lost revenue per day as a result of lost royalties. If that holds, the federal government would lose more than $1.35 billion from royalty payments, just this year.

    4. The Obama Administration Has Been Held in Contempt of Court: Federal District Court Judge Martin Feldman held the Obama Interior Department in contempt of court on February 2, 2011, for dismissively ignoring his ruling to cease the drilling moratorium which the judge had previously struck down as “arbitrary and capricious.” Judge Feldman has since given the Administration 30 days to act on permits it has needlessly and purposefully delayed saying inaction was “not a lawful option.”

    5. Jobs Are Being Killed by Obama’s Oil Policies: As a direct result of Obama’s oil policies, companies that help supply our domestic energy needs are going out of business. Most recently, Houston-based Seahawk Drilling filed for bankruptcy. The Chief Operating Officer of the offshore drilling company, Randy Stilley, stated: “The decision by regulators to arbitrarily construct unnecessary barriers to obtaining permits they had traditionally authorized has had an adverse impact not only on Seahawk, but on the sector as a whole.”

    6. And More Jobs Are Being Killed: Vendors, suppliers, even restaurants and retailers are losing ground or going out of business as a result of the economically crippling policies Obama has unilaterally imposed. According to Reuters, many of the thirty-plus deepwater rigs in the Gulf have moved to other markets. Each rig directly employs approximately 200 people, but that doesn’t even count the ripple effect across the nation. One industry official told CNBC that the industry was on “life support.” But President Obama is spending billions to finance offshore jobs…in Brazil. The Obama Administration committed at least $2 billion in 2009 towards Petrobras, one of the largest offshore oil drilling companies in the world.

    7. Decreasing Our Domestic Supply Increases Foreign Dependence: Even Energy Secretary Steven Chu admits that “any disruption in the Middle East means a partial disruption in the oil we import. It’s a world market and [a disruption] could actually have real harm of the price.” If this is the case, then cutting our domestic supply hardly seems like an appropriate response. Rather than face this reality, Secretary Chu ridiculously called for an increase in renewable energy investments, which is a complete non-sequitur.

    8. Renewable Energy Is Not the Answer to Mideast Turmoil: According to the EIA, petroleum accounts for less than one percent of electricity production. So wind and solar, which do not produce transportation fuel even if Obama’s $40,000 Chevy Volt quadruples production, can only replace coal and natural gas, of which America has an abundant supply. As for biomass, over 40 percent of domestic corn consumption goes to ethanol, which provides less than 10 percent of our transportation fuel and causes food prices to increase. Three large production platforms in the Gulf could provide an amount equivalent to all of the biofuels produced in the U.S.

    9. Regulations and Delays: The Obama EPA has added costly new regulations to refineries in the name of global warming, while the Obama Interior Department issues new rules that make it much harder to develop natural resources on government land. The EPA is also denying approval of the Keystone pipeline which would increase the amount of oil the U.S. receives from our friendly neighbor Canada by over a million barrels per day.

    10. The Middle East Is Not the Sole Cause of Rising Oil Prices: Global oil prices have been rising steadily for months based on variety of factors including those listed above and as the world economy pulls out of a recession. In fact, Egypt is not a major producer of petroleum, and only 2-3 percent of the world’s supply moves through the Suez Canal. Certain spikes are not abnormal and can be more easily weathered with a smarter domestic energy strategy.

    http://blog.heritage.org/2011/02/23/...’s-oil-policy/
    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #286
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Really? Who is behind the big push to prevent regulation of oil derivatives?
    Nobody is pushing actual regulations. (outside of a fringe few)

    Bernie Sanders, with eight other Democrats, authored a bill last year seeking to curb oil speculation. Dodd-Frank also sought to curb oil speculation, but it was hopelessly watered down by lobbyists, and Republican members of the CFTC are stonewalling new regulations.
    Dodd-Frank did nothing of the sort and Sanders isn't going to get any support, much like with anything he gets behind. Dodd-Frank could have actually addressed it. It didn't.

  7. #287
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    There is no shortage of gasoline.

  8. #288
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,179

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    What it proves is nothing has been addressed since the markets acted irrationally the last time. That does fall on Obama.
    Obama's not blameless in a number of areas. The price of gas would have gone up anyway, maybe not as high, but it sure as hell would be higher than $1.86.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #289
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,179

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Sorry, facts are facts....Even when they are uncomfortably painful for your guy.




    Argh, here we go with the spin.....


    Here are no less than 10 facts you need to learn, address, and answer to...
    I need to address "facts" from the Heritage Foundation's blog?

    Maybe someone can go and find some from the Daily Kos for you to address.

    Just make a guess. What would gas cost if McCain had won? Think it might be higher than $1.86?
    Last edited by rocket88; 02-26-12 at 05:59 PM.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #290
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Gas prices are highest ever for this time of year

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Obama's not blameless in a number of areas. The price of gas would have gone up anyway, maybe not as high, but it sure as hell would be higher than $1.86.

    What possibly could you base this on? Although it may be your opinion, you give no facts, indicators, or anything solid to look at other than your opinion here.

    You may or may not be wrong in your guess, but you seem to be using that guess as an excuse for Obama, when in reality if this were a Republican president we were discussing in office now, many would be attacking him the very same way as Obama is being held accountable.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •