Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 73

Thread: For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside Marriage

  1. #31
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:47 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,494

    Re: For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    You need a study? Go outside and open your eyes. It's plain as the nose on your face.

    I see it daily through my kids sports activities and at school. There is a massive difference in behavior, self-esteem, communication skills, and aptitude in basic life, not the least of which is presence and hygiene.
    Having a piece of paper and a ceremony in no way, shape, or form makes a person a good parent.

    The ability to be a good parent and raise a productive and vibrant child does not in any way depend on being married.

    Plenty of married people are abusive, negligent, and down-right hideous parents and role-models.

    Please don't equate marriage with good parenting.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Having a piece of paper and a ceremony in no way, shape, or form makes a person a good parent.

    The ability to be a good parent and raise a productive and vibrant child does not in any way depend on being married.

    Plenty of married people are abusive, negligent, and down-right hideous parents and role-models.

    Please don't equate marriage with good parenting.
    He may or may not believe that but it really wasn't the arguement made. The arguement was that a child does better on average when both parents are there to raise them.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,028

    Re: For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Having a piece of paper and a ceremony in no way, shape, or form makes a person a good parent.

    The ability to be a good parent and raise a productive and vibrant child does not in any way depend on being married.

    Plenty of married people are abusive, negligent, and down-right hideous parents and role-models.

    Please don't equate marriage with good parenting.
    Thank you for completing not understanding the point.

    I guess a loving marriage in the home sets absolutely no positive example or provides no advantageous environment for a child whatsoever.

    How we've gotten to a point where we have to debate and explain something a monkey could understand is beyond me.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:47 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,494

    Re: For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    He may or may not believe that but it really wasn't the arguement made. The arguement was that a child does better on average when both parents are there to raise them.
    And that in now way means the parents need, or have to be married.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:47 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,494

    Re: For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    This is THE problem facing this country right now. As a whole, the children of unwed mothers vastly underperform in every area of life compared to kids from traditionaly families.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    You need a study? Go outside and open your eyes. It's plain as the nose on your face.

    I see it daily through my kids sports activities and at school. There is a massive difference in behavior, self-esteem, communication skills, and aptitude in basic life, not the least of which is presence and hygiene.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Thank you for completing not understanding the point.

    I guess a loving marriage in the home sets absolutely no positive example or provides no advantageous environment for a child whatsoever.

    How we've gotten to a point where we have to debate and explain something a monkey could understand is beyond me.
    Quite obviously it's YOU that needs to improve their communication skills.

    You made a broad-brushed statement with no facts to back it up, then when confronted with a study that PROVED you wrong you made another ignorant comment.

    Our country is not going down the tubes simply because more people are having children out of wedlock.

  6. #36
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    He may or may not believe that but it really wasn't the arguement [sic] made. The arguement [sic] was that a child does better on average when both parents are there to raise them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    And that in now way means the parents need, or have to be married.
    One of the main purposes of marriage is to establish the commitment between a man and a woman, to stay together for life, to jointly share responsibility for one another, and for any children that they might produce. It is marriage, properly entered into and respected, that forms the basis for a stable, solid family.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  7. #37
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Our country is not going down the tubes simply because more people are having children out of wedlock.
    That is one of the greatest lies of the left, that we can undermine the family as the basic unit of society, without severely damaging society itself as a consequence.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I'm sure gay couples would like to know about these tax advantages; a few may rethink their position.
    Gay people tend to earn higher incomes, than your average single parent does.
    In that case, it wouldn't be advantageous.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #39
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Except that reliable, peer reviewed, and revered studies show that children do much better in all catagories when raised in household with BOTH parents present, and committed.


    j-mac
    Want to bring up a source for that claim jack?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Want to bring up a source for that claim jack?
    Kids better off in two-parent families

    I do not recall whether you were involved in the study in the education section about why some kids do better than others. One area that was pretty much in agreement was that kids with higher family incomes did better.

    These are for the most part going to be two parent families.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •