Page 70 of 80 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 796

Thread: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

  1. #691
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    and how do you determine that these are iranian proxies


    well, let's see. if someone trains you, funds you, and directs you; would you say that you are or are not a proxy?

    Iran created Hezbollah. They staff Hezbollah. They fund Hezbollah, they supply Hezbollah, they enable Hezbollah and they direct Hezbollah. Why the hell do you think Hezbollah is fighting for the Assad regime?
    Last edited by cpwill; 05-06-12 at 02:13 PM.

  2. #692
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Iran funnels them money and weapons. Not to mention provides training. I don't see how they are fundamentally different from the proxies the US used against the Soviet client states back in the Cold War. We give them money, weapons and training to fight our enemies so we don't directly have to. That's a proxy.
    so, what you are saying is they provide backing to those with ideologies aligned with their own just as the USA does
    so, what they do is wrong while when we do it then it is good?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #693
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post

    Oh - just for entertainment: who can name me the branch of Iranian military controlling the development of its' nuclear program?
    I believe that's Qods also, isn't it?
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  4. #694
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    so, what you are saying is they provide backing to those with ideologies aligned with their own just as the USA does
    so, what they do is wrong while when we do it then it is good?


    questions of whether or not it's "right" or "wrong" (it is certainly smart) are irrelevant when discussing capability sets.

  5. #695
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleAye View Post
    I believe that's Qods also, isn't it?
    They have heavy overlap. It is the IRGC of which Qods is a branch.

  6. #696
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post


    questions of whether or not it's "right" or "wrong" (it is certainly smart) are irrelevant when discussing capability sets.

    let's replay the discussion
    i noted that iran has not initiated a military action against another sovereign nation in about 200 years
    in response, it was presented that iran fights by proxie
    just like the USA
    so either we conclude that iran has not initiated a war in two centuries or that the USA is fighting wars across the globe via its array of proxies
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #697
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    let's replay the discussion
    i noted that iran has not initiated a military action against another sovereign nation in about 200 years
    in response, it was presented that iran fights by proxie
    yes and no. While they do that too, Qods forces is no more a "proxy" of Iran than US Special Forces are a "proxy" of the United States.

  8. #698
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    let's replay the discussion
    i noted that iran has not initiated a military action against another sovereign nation in about 200 years
    in response, it was presented that iran fights by proxie
    just like the USA
    so either we conclude that iran has not initiated a war in two centuries or that the USA is fighting wars across the globe via its array of proxies
    The fact that Iran fights by proxy has nothing to do with the US. Your statement that Iran has not took military action in 200 years is misleading and wrong.

  9. #699
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    The fact that Iran fights by proxy has nothing to do with the US. Your statement that Iran has not took military action in 200 years is misleading and wrong.
    it's quite accurate. but prove me wrong. offer facts which will undermine my assertion

    the comparison to the US is regarding proxies. it appears some would insist that because iran provides assistance to those "proxies" aligned with its interests, we must conclude that iran is thus engaged in warfare
    using that rationale, we must also then conclude the US has been in perennial war via our own array of proxies across the globe
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  10. #700
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    it's quite accurate. but prove me wrong. offer facts which will undermine my assertion

    the comparison to the US is regarding proxies. it appears some would insist that because iran provides assistance to those "proxies" aligned with its interests, we must conclude that iran is thus engaged in warfare
    using that rationale, we must also then conclude the US has been in perennial war via our own array of proxies across the globe
    There have been two facts offered in the discussion:

    1. Iran created, funds, trains, supplies, etc various groups such as Hezbolla.

    The fact that Iran provides assistance to certain proxies aligned with its interest is not necessarily a bad thing. However, using common sense rather than Noam Chomskism we see that the interests Iran is funding are a) not aligned with our own and b) are regarded as militant groups wishing to "obliterate" a certain sovereign nation (Israel). Thus we conclude that saying Iran has not taken military action in 200 years against a sovereign is misleading at best and wrong at worst.

    2. Iran's Qods force has been invloved in military action with the US

    This directly refutes the idea the Iran has not had any military action in 200 years.

Page 70 of 80 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •