Page 62 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
Results 611 to 620 of 796

Thread: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

  1. #611
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,143

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Let's do this your style. Prove they are not or I'm just gonna have to stick with the facts.
    spoken like the scientist you claim to be: prove a negative

    i will stick with the belief that your post was nothing more than a wishful opinion, that you have no basis to conclude that iran is supplying, funding, and training hamas in iraq to kill American troops
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #612
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Description of Burden of Proof

    Burden of Proof is a fallacy in which the burden of proof is placed on the wrong side. Another version occurs when a lack of evidence for side A is taken to be evidence for side B in cases in which the burden of proof actually rests on side B. A common name for this is an Appeal to Ignorance. This sort of reasoning typically has the following form:

    Claim X is presented by side A and the burden of proof actually rests on side B.
    Side B claims that X is false because there is no proof for X.

    In many situations, one side has the burden of proof resting on it. This side is obligated to provide evidence for its position. The claim of the other side, the one that does not bear the burden of proof, is assumed to be true unless proven otherwise. The difficulty in such cases is determining which side, if any, the burden of proof rests on. In many cases, settling this issue can be a matter of significant debate. In some cases the burden of proof is set by the situation. For example, in American law a person is assumed to be innocent until proven guilty (hence the burden of proof is on the prosecution). As another example, in debate the burden of proof is placed on the affirmative team. As a final example, in most cases the burden of proof rests on those who claim something exists (such as Bigfoot, psychic powers, universals, and sense data).

    (snip)

    Bill: "I think that some people have psychic powers."
    Jill: "What is your proof?"
    Bill: "No one has been able to prove that people do not have psychic powers."

    Fallacy: Burden of Proof

    Just thought this might help.


    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #613
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    here's a chance to actually offer something yourself, then. show us what EVIDENCE you have to support the claim that iran is funding, supplying and training terrorists in iraq that target Americans
    Would you insist on proof of a Hezbollah/Iranian connection? It's pretty easy to show Hezbollah had fighters in Iraq and most Western countries agree Hezbollah is at least partially backed (financed and supplied) by Iran. If you're looking for either Hezbollah or Iran to openly admit a connection then I won't bother because they won't.


    Israel doesn't have nukes, either.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 03-02-12 at 02:25 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  4. #614
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    There's no question that Iran is funding, supplying and training anti-western/American interests in Iraq. I've no idea where Justabubba came up with "Hamas in Iraq"; discussion of Israel should be in the mideast section.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 03-03-12 at 11:02 AM.

  5. #615
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,143

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    There's no question that Iran is funding, supplying and training anti-western/American interests in Iraq. I've no idea where Justabubba came up with "Hamas in Iraq"; discussion of Israel should be in the mideast section.
    here is where i found the reference, in your post. i have been trying to get you to offer any proof of your assertion that iran is supplying, training and funding those who are killing our troops in iraq:
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Perhaps he meant 'Americans'. The Iranian army/super-guard funds, supplies and trains terrorists in Iraq that target Americans as well as civilians. That's a fact, right? 'American interests' could also work regarding Hez, Hamas and who knows what in Africa and Pakistan.
    you keep offering up opinions as if they are facts. such as this
    so, either provide proof of what you assert, or accept that you offer nothing to this debate other than unfounded opinion
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  6. #616
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleAye View Post
    How can you be so sure?
    All you have to do is look at the regional politics. Hammas, Hezbollah, Israel would likely get involved. If it happened from the us first without a strike against the USA it may be seen add a legitimate call for jihad. Turkey would be pulled in which would be messy, Syria may or may not be stable but you know they would be involved in some way since Iran is one of its only allies.... The Emirate I don't think I need to go on

    If you want concrete proof of Iran-Hezbollah connection i'm sure theses public info of it on the CIA fact book

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xpiher; 03-03-12 at 07:31 PM.
    Hayek - too liberal for republicans

  7. #617
    Professor
    Kane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    09-09-13 @ 09:13 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,661

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    The essential act of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives, but of the products of human labor. War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent.
    -- George Orwell, 1984

  8. #618
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    here is where i found the reference, in your post. i have been trying to get you to offer any proof of your assertion that iran is supplying, training and funding those who are killing our troops in iraq:
    I am also wondering how this is different from our support of Iraq in their attacks on Iran??? Or our funding of Israel when they attacked Iraq?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #619
    Professor
    Kane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    09-09-13 @ 09:13 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,661

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    NDAA was just broadcast via the internets megaphone to scare OWS, most of dat **** is already in the Patriot Acts. I did not get my daily dose of FEAR today, with scares of more war and false nuke threats in bold font headlines, designed to keep you little people in your place to paralyze you even though there is no nuclear threat. Which websites are not neocon/govnmnt megaphones? A day with more tabloid ****e and "celebs" , with a "news" media that treats Bachmann as a serious subject. Get out and protest people. OWS must grow! Ya know those millions at Obamas inaguration? Well what if the same people showed up in the Capitol again, but to forcibly remove, by the nape of the neck, those corrupt Senators and Reps from OUR buildings and we just take over?

  10. #620
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    03-04-12 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Kane, are you serious? You simultaneously back OWS and Obama? Pull your head out man. OWS is supposed to hate the "BIG BANKS" yet you support a guy who bailed them out and has been the largest recipient of their campaign contributions. Please do some research before you let party trump principle.

Page 62 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •