Page 60 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 796

Thread: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

  1. #591
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,143

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Perhaps he meant 'Americans'. The Iranian army/super-guard funds, supplies and trains terrorists in Iraq that target Americans as well as civilians. That's a fact, right? 'American interests' could also work regarding Hez, Hamas and who knows what in Africa and Pakistan.
    please show us evidence of what you offer up as a "fact"
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #592
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I said I wasn't going to discuss Vietnam but I guess I must regress to point out what should be an obvious fact. Vietnam was not North v South it was Russia v US. It was a proxy war. I mention it because this is how Iran conducts war. It supports organizations that do attack Israel and they have (almost) complete deniability using this strategy. I don't know if they would be stupid enough to pass on a nuke to their puppets but no one, least of all Israel, is going to take that chance.

    No amount of pressure by the US is going to stop Israel, either, and it's wishful thinking to believe there will be some popular uprising in Israel to stop it. Israel doesn't want to invade Iran and won't. But they will surgically strike to remove an immanent threat of Iran building a nuke.
    I disagree and stick to my earlier statements, Iran won't nuke Israel for the same reason they haven't attacked Israel in the past, because they are not suicidal. They know they would be turned into a smudge spot if they did. And if the President makes it clear that Israel would be on their own if the strike Iran, I think the majority of people in Israel opposed to a war with Iran will not allow an act of war against Iran.



    We've been providing you with evidence as requested, now it's your turn. Where are the UN resolutions saying we are in violation of the NPT?
    I've never claimed there were UN resolutions saying we were in violation of the NPT, I've just noted the facts that indicate we are.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #593
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I disagree and stick to my earlier statements, Iran won't nuke Israel for the same reason they haven't attacked Israel in the past, because they are not suicidal. They know they would be turned into a smudge spot if they did. And if the President makes it clear that Israel would be on their own if the strike Iran, I think the majority of people in Israel opposed to a war with Iran will not allow an act of war against Iran.
    I referenced this in the blogs section, but worth noting:

    The survey also asked whether Israel should strike against Iran’s nuclear facilities. Just 19 percent said Israel should make the move, even without the support of the U.S., while 42 percent said is should only strike with American support.

    The University of Maryland/Dahaf Institute poll was conducted Feb. 22-26 among 500 Israelis, and has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.


    Read more: Obama, Mitt Romney too close to call -- in Israel - POLITICO.com
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  4. #594
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by Proud South Korean View Post
    North Korea is not a threat to world peace?
    Is this the new level, Cat?
    Reading is fundamental. Here is what I said,

    "Like with Iraq, Iran does not present a military threat to the US. I don't believe in going to war with a country that is not a threat to us. That has worked poorly when we did it in Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #595
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I referenced this in the blogs section, but worth noting:
    The survey also asked whether Israel should strike against Iran’s nuclear facilities. Just 19 percent said Israel should make the move, even without the support of the U.S., while 42 percent said is should only strike with American support.

    The University of Maryland/Dahaf Institute poll was conducted Feb. 22-26 among 500 Israelis, and has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

    Thank you Adam, this supports what I was saying very well.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #596
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,367

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Iran won't nuke Israel for the same reason they haven't attacked Israel in the past
    Considering Hez and Hamas, the above doesn't really work. It's like someone is trying to deny Iran is involved in attacks against Israel by playing on the reasoning that nuking is probably a bad idea. The statement is backwards thinking and presents an obviously untrue claim to all but the least educated.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 03-02-12 at 12:49 AM.

  7. #597
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I referenced this in the blogs section, but worth noting:
    If we're going to reference it let's get a little closer to the source - though this still isn't the actual poll:

    Poll of Israelis on Iran Attack Shows Surprises - Defense/Security - News - Israel National News
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  8. #598
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Considering Hez and Hamas, the above doesn't really work. It's like someone is trying to deny Iran is involved in attacks against Israel by playing on the reasoning that nuking is probably a bad idea. The statement is backwards thinking and presents an obviously untrue claim to all but the least educated.
    By your reasoning, the US would then be responsible for the killing of innocent civilians by all those that we have provided funding to. In which case, we would be a bigger threat to innocent civilians around the world than Iran.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #599
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    If we're going to reference it let's get a little closer to the source - though this still isn't the actual poll:

    Poll of Israelis on Iran Attack Shows Surprises - Defense/Security - News - Israel National News
    From your article, from the Israeli National News source:

    "A poll released Thursday said that 81% of Israelis oppose a solo Israeli attack against Iran."

    Isn't that what Adam's poll said?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #600
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,367

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    By your reasoning,
    I really think you ought not presume my reasoning. Frankly, you putting words in my mouth is laughable.

Page 60 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •