Page 34 of 80 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 796

Thread: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

  1. #331
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-13-12 @ 02:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,556

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by MKULTRABOY View Post
    Wasted flesh and finance.

    Yes, this would be a wonderful world if wars didn't exist .... wars are a very sad affair .... but sadly, they do, so at least lets be thankful for those who have given their lives for our countries, fighting for what they believed.

  2. #332
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleAye View Post
    You're right, the US wouldn't put up with it. But the US, Canada, and Mexico are significant trading partners and have been so for a very long time.
    China is dependent on middle east oil. And Russia and Iran have as close ties as the US and Mexico.

    On the other hand, Mexico isn't in the habit of claiming Panama "has no right to exist," and Columbia is a "cancerous tumor that must be cut and will be cut." And neither Canada nor Mexico are attempting to develop their own nukes. Panama hasn't threatened to close the Canal to anyone. In other words, they don't do anything to make us look stupid by association.
    Panama and its allies have not been threatening to attack Mexico and didn't invade and occupy its neighbor either.

    Russia and Iran have been trading but not on a significant scale, and mostly it's been Iran buying from Russia, not the other way around. Russia's only real concern is in losing a customer, not a partner in trade. Russia opposes the US just to reduce US influence in the region, not out of any real love for Iran. China has many sources of oil. On several occasions, China has severely cut back on purchases of Iranian oil because of contract disagreements. If China needed Iran so bad, they wouldn't be cutting Iran off all the time. They're not going to send their largely immobile military half way around the world for an inconstant and unreliable source. They certainly won't go into a shooting war over one.
    I'm not willing to risk hundreds of thousands of lives and trillions of dollars that they won't come to the assistance of Iran. The so-called "threat" doesn't justify it. We have 10,000 nuclear weapons, and the most powerful military on the planet. Its sort of like a horse being afraid of a mouse.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #333
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    No one has attacked more countries in modern history than the USi
    What is your definition of modern history?

  4. #334
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    What is your definition of modern history?
    Industrialization should cut it
    20th century would suffice too.

  5. #335
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by MKULTRABOY View Post
    Industrialization should cut it
    20th century would suffice too.

    Thank you , MK


    Could be, but, this is Catawba's timeline I would like to see what his position is.

  6. #336
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    Thank you , MK


    Could be, but, this is Catawba's timeline I would like to see what his position is.
    To be precise he could only be talking about the era in the US after which executive war powers were established and possibly some time before when the US had its first fledgling forays into imperialism in the early 20th C. He couldnt be talking about anything else, really /shrug


    guess we can wait for him to come back

  7. #337
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I'm not willing to risk hundreds of thousands of lives and trillions of dollars that they won't come to the assistance of Iran. The so-called "threat" doesn't justify it. We have 10,000 nuclear weapons, and the most powerful military on the planet. Its sort of like a horse being afraid of a mouse.
    Let's look at it this way, if we standby and let Iran develop nuclear weapons, we'll still be risking hundreds of thousands of lives. Iran's new long range ICBMs (still in development) will be able to reach the East coast of the US. So you'll be risking their lives, millions of people in that case. Before the missile comes online, you'll be risking the lives of millions of Saudis and Israelis, because current Iranian missiles can reach Tel-Aviv and Riyadh.

    If we say that Iran wouldn't use one because they know the Western powers would decimate Iran for using a nuke, then what's the point in having one? It's deterrent effect is negated. If everyone knows this, then everyone knows Iran could still be attacked conventionally with impunity. Additionally, you'd still be risking the lives of hundreds of thousands of Iranians if the government is foolish enough to ever launch one, because the angry reprisals would surely hit a lot of civilians. So Iran trying to get nuclear weapons will only suck up a lot of money, better spent on civil developments, and ultimately provide no deterrent effect. Nukes for Iran is a lose/lose proposition for Iran.

    I'm 95% certain that there would be no invasion of Iran and no occupation, so we can forget trillions spent on an invasion. People like yourself (and me too for that matter) would never stand for it. We have bigger problems at home we need to solve so we cannot afford another 10-year Iraq.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  8. #338
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,124

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleAye View Post
    Let's look at it this way, if we standby and let Iran develop nuclear weapons, we'll still be risking hundreds of thousands of lives. Iran's new long range ICBMs (still in development) will be able to reach the East coast of the US. So you'll be risking their lives, millions of people in that case. Before the missile comes online, you'll be risking the lives of millions of Saudis and Israelis, because current Iranian missiles can reach Tel-Aviv and Riyadh.

    If we say that Iran wouldn't use one because they know the Western powers would decimate Iran for using a nuke, then what's the point in having one? It's deterrent effect is negated. If everyone knows this, then everyone knows Iran could still be attacked conventionally with impunity. Additionally, you'd still be risking the lives of hundreds of thousands of Iranians if the government is foolish enough to ever launch one, because the angry reprisals would surely hit a lot of civilians. So Iran trying to get nuclear weapons will only suck up a lot of money, better spent on civil developments, and ultimately provide no deterrent effect.
    Nukes for Iran is a lose/lose proposition for Iran.

    I'm 95% certain that there would be no invasion of Iran and no occupation, so we can forget trillions spent on an invasion. People like yourself (and me too for that matter) would never stand for it. We have bigger problems at home we need to solve so we cannot afford another 10-year Iraq.
    wrong
    iran knows it is vulnerable to israeli attack while it is not a nuclear power
    just watch what is going on
    bibi is coming to chat with Obama next week and will likely leave still intending to violate iranian territory and bomb iranian nuclear facilities
    why? because iran is doing what israel has done: develop nuclear weapons

    so, until iran can establish military parity - in this instance mutually assured destruction - by attaining nuclear devices to counter the ongoing israeli threat, the nation of iran is vulnerable to israeli attack
    hell, we see israel rattling its sabers every day

    and notice what happens to nations like north korea and pakistan, after they acquire nuclear weapons. they become insulated from attack. the persians are smart. they recognize that reality, too
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  9. #339
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    What is your definition of modern history?
    From the perspective of my lifetime, I would say the last 60 years.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #340
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: PAPER: Military action against Iran 'likely'..

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleAye View Post
    Let's look at it this way, if we standby and let Iran develop nuclear weapons, we'll still be risking hundreds of thousands of lives. Iran's new long range ICBMs (still in development) will be able to reach the East coast of the US. So you'll be risking their lives, millions of people in that case. Before the missile comes online, you'll be risking the lives of millions of Saudis and Israelis, because current Iranian missiles can reach Tel-Aviv and Riyadh.

    If we say that Iran wouldn't use one because they know the Western powers would decimate Iran for using a nuke, then what's the point in having one? It's deterrent effect is negated. If everyone knows this, then everyone knows Iran could still be attacked conventionally with impunity. Additionally, you'd still be risking the lives of hundreds of thousands of Iranians if the government is foolish enough to ever launch one, because the angry reprisals would surely hit a lot of civilians. So Iran trying to get nuclear weapons will only suck up a lot of money, better spent on civil developments, and ultimately provide no deterrent effect. Nukes for Iran is a lose/lose proposition for Iran.
    Iran has never attacked the US or our neighbors in the past. Israel and the US don't have that clean a record.

    I'm 95% certain that there would be no invasion of Iran and no occupation, so we can forget trillions spent on an invasion. People like yourself (and me too for that matter) would never stand for it. We have bigger problems at home we need to solve so we cannot afford another 10-year Iraq.
    You keep assuming Iran and its allies won't see it as an act of war and retaliate. That's not an assumption I am willing to make, based on the total lack of threat to the US.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 34 of 80 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •