Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 86

Thread: Obama in hot water over shark fin soup

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama in hot water over shark fin soup

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I used to work in a seafood restaurant. We got our shark from a farm. It can be done. I am not talking about great whites here... some sharks are pretty small and can be farmed successfully.

    Your website link does mention that a small percentage of sharks are harvested for meat. So why do these finners not take the whole carcass? As I wrote previously, shark contains a lot of mercury. Second, the meat, unless processed properly will reek of urine. Some cultures relish that delicious ammonia taste but most don't.
    Talk about nostalgia. I saw this one show on Swedish [I think] culture on how they actually rot the meat tobring out certain flavors.

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Obama in hot water over shark fin soup

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Talk about nostalgia. I saw this one show on Swedish [I think] culture on how they actually rot the meat tobring out certain flavors.
    Lutefisk. Means literally "lye fish." I bet it's not so much for the flavor as it is a very old, very desperate attempt to preserve surplus fish.

  3. #53
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Obama in hot water over shark fin soup

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Lutefisk. Means literally "lye fish." I bet it's not so much for the flavor as it is a very old, very desperate attempt to preserve surplus fish.
    I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to trying new foods, but that's one I will not try.

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 02:43 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,940

    Re: Obama in hot water over shark fin soup

    My dad had a friend that was a child during Hitler's ruleof Germany. I would love to sit down and compare the German civil laws to the trillions of laws we have as to what we can and can no longer. Hitler did not have cameras every twenty feet on the streets of Hamburgh and on traffic lights nor did his government spie on his people via satellites or cameras and microphones in all businesses. He did not track his people's social and econmic habits via computers. Think you are free?! HA-HA-HA!
    It's nothing more than X's and O's.

  5. #55
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Obama in hot water over shark fin soup

    Quote Originally Posted by rhinefire View Post
    My dad had a friend that was a child during Hitler's ruleof Germany. I would love to sit down and compare the German civil laws to the trillions of laws we have as to what we can and can no longer. Hitler did not have cameras every twenty feet on the streets of Hamburgh and on traffic lights nor did his government spie on his people via satellites or cameras and microphones in all businesses. He did not track his people's social and econmic habits via computers. Think you are free?! HA-HA-HA!
    To be fair, if the technology had existed (in a usable form), the Nazis probably would have done all those things.

  6. #56
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama in hot water over shark fin soup

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Talk about nostalgia. I saw this one show on Swedish [I think] culture on how they actually rot the meat tobring out certain flavors.

    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  7. #57
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Obama in hot water over shark fin soup

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I would rather he or his people respond with something like, "The President didn't order the soup. Is there supposed to be a point behind your rantings?"
    But, that wouldn't be dignified for a President, I'm sure.
    Who says though, you know? I want a POTUS that speaks like us. Thats what I'm sick of with politicians. Just speak your mind man.
    Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger. ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. Thomas Jefferson

  8. #58
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,357

    Re: Obama in hot water over shark fin soup

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    To be fair, if the technology had existed (in a usable form), the Nazis probably would have done all those things.
    The too, would have been the case with Hoover and Kefauver Technology evolves, and so does the need to readdress the issue.

  9. #59
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Obama in hot water over shark fin soup

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to trying new foods, but that's one I will not try.
    Ranks pretty high on the most disgusting things I've ever ate.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama in hot water over shark fin soup

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Maybe that's why you got picked to be a DM? Cognitive abilities aren't something the mod team looks for these days.
    I bet a bowl of shark fin soup would cheer you up.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •