Page 78 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 884

Thread: Chris Christie set to veto gay marriage bill

  1. #771
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Chris Christie set to veto gay marriage bill

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    And currently we are trying to change "the laws of the land" so that people have more freedoms. In fact, the change we want wouldn't even take freedoms away from anyone else.

    Like I said go for it. Vote on it like we do everything else.


    (wow 30,000 posts took me 7 years to get there)
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  2. #772
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Chris Christie set to veto gay marriage bill

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    And again, you are making a comment that suggests that you believe that I am liberal, yet this is not true. I have many beliefs that fall on the side of conservatives, this is just one that I happen to be highly liberal about.
    You are really picking at tecnicalities now
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  3. #773
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Chris Christie set to veto gay marriage bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post


    Let me understand. You are saying that blacks are not a race?
    I am saying that interracial marriage was decided based on race, not the fact that the people allowed to marry were actually attracted to someone of a different race, which is what the people had a problem with. This is why same sex marriage should be decided on the basis of sex, not the fact that the people being allowed to marry are attracted to someone of the same sex, which is what people have a problem with.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #774
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Chris Christie set to veto gay marriage bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Like I said go for it. Vote on it like we do everything else.


    (wow 30,000 posts took me 7 years to get there)
    I'd rather go the faster way, and have the SCOTUS handle it. However, don't worry, I will vote for it whenever I can as well.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #775
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Chris Christie set to veto gay marriage bill

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    And the problem here is that the limitations being put on marriage do not logically run with the "we give marriage benefits to those who can produce children" because we allow opposite sex couples who cannot produce children to marry. In fact, some states do not allow certain opposite sex couples who can produce children to legally marry.
    again, applying logic to limitations is inconsistent. We don't have to prove that actions the government takes is logical, and often times it clearly isn't logical.

  6. #776
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Chris Christie set to veto gay marriage bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    If you follow the entire exchange, one dolt on his high horse claimed that nobody could logically explain why we donít allow SSM.

    I pointed out that nobody is requiring a logical explanation for any of the perks we grant.

    We give education perks to people with good grades, but I fail to see the logical benefit of giving educational assistance to elderly people.
    Actually its perfectly logical to help people who work hard for their grades or who are able to easily understand concepts that may be difficult for others to understand. I dont see how you think it isnt. Not allowing SSM to be legal however does not have any basis in logic.

  7. #777
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Chris Christie set to veto gay marriage bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Omgitsme View Post
    Actually its perfectly logical to help people who work hard for their grades or who are able to easily understand concepts that may be difficult for others to understand. I dont see how you think it isnt. Not allowing SSM to be legal however does not have any basis in logic.

    If the person getting financial aid has a known terminal disease, explain the logic behind giving him money to earn an advanced degree.

  8. #778
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Chris Christie set to veto gay marriage bill

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I'd rather go the faster way, and have the SCOTUS handle it. However, don't worry, I will vote for it whenever I can as well.
    Yeah me to, If they rule in the favor of gay marriage I won't like it but I will accept it. How about you if they rule against gay marriage will you accept the ruling and stop this nonsense?
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  9. #779
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Chris Christie set to veto gay marriage bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    If the person getting financial aid has a known terminal disease, explain the logic behind giving him money to earn an advanced degree.
    Ever heard of Stephan Hawking? Guy was diagnosed with Lou Gehrigs disease when he was 21 and told he had 2-3 years to live but hes 70 years old now and contributed greatly to the scientific community in that time.

  10. #780
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,974

    Re: Chris Christie set to veto gay marriage bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    so the GOP are against big gov but yet they want the government to impose bans on American citizens right to marry....messed up world
    Small Government is a generalized way people describe the typical mindset of conservatives which is better explained in a long form fashion of wanting a constitutionally limited federal government. Not passing a law to expand what the marriage laws currently allow does not necessarily go against that notion. Passing a constitutional amendment ALSO would not go against that notion; on the contrary, it'd coincide with it as doing it in amendment form would be the constitutional method in which it should occur.

    There are some perhaps in the GOP who would approve of having the federal government simply pass a law that disallows states form implimenting gay marriage, but to my understanding that is not a widely held across the board stance.

    While I disagree with limiting marriage to opposite sex couples for constitutional reasons (That have nothing to do with homosexuality), there is nothing inherently non-consevative (in relation to its meaning in a US Political sense) about seeking a constitutional amendment banning states from allowing gay marriage or opposing laws that expand the definition of it on a federal level. Neither stance violates the notion of a constitutionally limited federal government.

Page 78 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •