Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 274

Thread: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    03-30-12 @ 08:21 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,667

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Not a good analogy. Actually, quite a bad one. One is the state protecting the rights of the person that would be killed. The other is protecting the rights to freedom of religion. Having free birth control is not a right that I can find in the consitution. So saying a church does not have to provide free birth control is not abridging anyone's rights.
    Well Perhaps the government should stop reinbursing Catholic hospitals for indigent care, remove them from Federal insurance coverage of all levels. We wouldn't want them to get too entangled and violate their rights.

  2. #82
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    Quote Originally Posted by kenvin View Post
    Well Perhaps the government should stop reinbursing Catholic hospitals for indigent care, remove them from Federal insurance coverage of all levels. We wouldn't want them to get too entangled and violate their rights.
    Yes, if I were you I would have tried to change the topic too. It wasn't going very well for you.

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    When that religious organization is operating as a business then religious liberty is no longer an issue in regards to how it treats its employees.
    Yes it is. This is established in US law and in the constitution itself.

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    03-30-12 @ 08:21 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,667

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Yes, if I were you I would have tried to change the topic too. It wasn't going very well for you.
    The topic is should women have representation in constitutional decisions that affect them as tax payers. The answer is yes, and it is going well.

  5. #85
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Yes, if I were you I would have tried to change the topic too. It wasn't going very well for you.
    Except he didn't change the topic. And he made a very valid point.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  6. #86
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yes it is. This is established in US law and in the constitution itself.
    Then the law is wrong, because religious organizations have no business acting as, well, a business. As soon as they act as a business they then become a business. And in doing so they are obligated to follow all the other laws that other businesses must follow.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  7. #87
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Yes, because the killing of an individual is the exact same as a church not paying for an individuals birth control. Well done.
    So you agree, then, that the right of personal conscience is not absolute then.

    And if the right of personal conscience is not absolute then there are degrees to which the government can provide oversight and regulation to it.

    And if that's the case, then that includes the degree that when a religious organization acts as a business it can be overseen as a business despite the conscience of those who run that business.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Then the law is wrong, because religious organizations have no business acting as, well, a business. As soon as they act as a business they then become a business. And in doing so they are obligated to follow all the other laws that other businesses must follow.
    And you are basing this on what? The law of the land AND how it is understood does not match with what you said nor does any of the founders statements on the subject. I can't imagine where you could go for backing besides yourself honestly.

  9. #89
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    And you are basing this on what? The law of the land AND how it is understood does not match with what you said nor does any of the founders statements on the subject. I can't imagine where you could go for backing besides yourself honestly.
    Because if all businesses have to do to avoid a law is to say that it violates their conscience then our laws no longer have any meaning.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Because if all businesses have to do to avoid a law is to say that it violates their conscience then our laws no longer have any meaning.
    That is a bull**** reason, sorry.

    1. US law establishes that violations of rights of individuals by religion are not to be tolerated when found, so US law does apply where applicable.

    2. Rules of business in which we are talking about does not apply and is NOT established in us law, the law of the land, or any other document that can be referenced in the SC or an appeals court to apply it religious institutions.

    3. The conclusion that because religion does not have to follow laws that apply to business that business does not have to obey such laws makes no sense.

    I'm sorry you lose, but really my dear, in this argument you have lost unless you can offer backing to your thoughts in something of substance that could be used in the court to change opinion that is how it will stay. This is something I have to do every time I disagree with court rulings and so does everyone else. I hope you understand that your opinion means nothing in this debate.

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •