Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 274

Thread: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    03-30-12 @ 08:21 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,667

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Personally? I think the entire issues is manufactured nonsense because the hearing has nothing to do with women. It has to do with whether or not the administration is violating protections issues to religious institutions. When it becomes about women, get all outragey and upset if they aren't included. Until that time, this is a stupid issue.
    The isue is about birth control for women. So it has a lot to do with women. Women make up more than half the population of the country who constitutional rights we are talking about. So in multiple respects it is an issue that women were not included in the discussion.

  2. #32
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Personally? I think the entire issues is manufactured nonsense because the hearing has nothing to do with women. It has to do with whether or not the administration is violating protections issues to religious institutions. When it becomes about women, get all outragey and upset if they aren't included. Until that time, this is a stupid issue.
    It has to do with how religious institutions are treating women, how can anyone know the potential impact and weigh the good / bad to the general public without knowing how important contraception is. Not only Birth control for preventing babies but also for its other medical properties. The women are the ones having the IUD's implanted, the hormones in their system and the consequences of not haviong these tools available.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  3. #33
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    It doesn't have to be percieved to be affecting them negatively. The only issue is that it affects them. As such it makes sense they should be represented by witnesses
    This affects everyone. So by this logic they should have have millions of witnesses. Men, women, each race, religion, gay, lesbians, tall people, short people ect, and every combination of each.

  4. #34
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Personally? I think the entire issues is manufactured nonsense because the hearing has nothing to do with women. It has to do with whether or not the administration is violating protections issues to religious institutions. When it becomes about women, get all outragey and upset if they aren't included. Until that time, this is a stupid issue.
    Fascinating that you think it has nothing to do with women when it's purely discussing reproductive rights, the churches view of them VS the government's view of them.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #35
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Fascinating that you think it has nothing to do with women when it's purely discussing reproductive rights, the churches view of them VS the government's view of them.
    That's the issue in the public face. The issue of the hearing is whether or not what the administration tried to do violates existing law protecting churches from certain actions.

    I seriously don't understand why you people can't separate the two, because there is a distinct separation.

    This hearing is not about denying birth control to women.
    This hearing is not about whether or not women should have "free" access to birth control.
    This hearing is not about rights of women.
    This hearing is about whether or not the administration overstepped its bounds via separation of church and state.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    03-30-12 @ 08:21 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,667

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    This affects everyone. So by this logic they should have have millions of witnesses. Men, women, each race, religion, gay, lesbians, tall people, short people ect, and every combination of each.
    The logic is simple. The issue of birth control for women effects women so they should be represented.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    03-30-12 @ 08:21 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,667

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    That's the issue in the public face. The issue of the hearing is whether or not what the administration tried to do violates existing law protecting churches from certain actions.

    I seriously don't understand why you people can't separate the two, because there is a distinct separation.

    This hearing is not about denying birth control to women.
    This hearing is not about whether or not women should have "free" access to birth control.
    This hearing is not about rights of women.
    This hearing is about whether or not the administration overstepped its bounds via separation of church and state.

    People don't separate the two because the two aren't seperate. Why are you afraid of letting women have representation in regards to an issue that directly affects them?

  8. #38
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,728

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    People don't separate the two because the two aren't seperate. Why are you afraid of letting women have representation in regards to an issue that directly affects them?
    Congratulations, a straw man and an ad hom in one! You have won the fallacy sweepstakes for this thread. Now get out.
    If it were 5 women, your reaction would be what? Just checking.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    03-30-12 @ 08:21 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,667

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Congratulations, a straw man and an ad hom in one! You have won the fallacy sweepstakes for this thread. Now get out.
    If it were 5 women, your reaction would be what? Just checking.
    It is an issue that directly effects women. Also, women make up over half the population. So to say women should have no representation in this matter is intellectually dishonest at best and outright sexism at worst.

    If it were only women I would ask why aren't men being represented.

    Taxation with out representation is wrong. Women are taxed and bound by the constitution. This legislation directly effects them so they by any stretch of logic and integrity should have representation.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?'

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    Angry lawmakers challenge lineup at hearing: 'Where are the women?' - CNN.com

    "What I want to know is: Where are the women?" Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-New York, said as she began her remarks at the top of hearing titled "Lines Crossed: Separation of Church and State. Has the Obama Administration Trampled on Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Conscience?"

    Directing her question at Rep. Darrell Issa, chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Maloney was referring to the fact that the first panel of five witnesses at the hearing did not include a woman, even though the discussion touched on the recent controversy over an Obama administration regulation requiring health insurance coverage for contraception.

    What are we only talking about condoms and vasectomies?

    Rep. Darrell f***ing Issa!!!!????

    Who says dumbass teatard Tea Baggers can't come from California?

    Yes, the sunshine state brings its share of shame to the House.


Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •