Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 219

Thread: Va. House GOP muscles through abortion curbs

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Va. House GOP muscles through abortion curbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    that's a brilliant idea!!!!

    thousands of cheap, untested, unverified drugs flooding America's markets..leading to thousands of deaths...and many more sick people.

    lovely thought.
    What does the FDA actually do, Thunder?

  2. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Va. House GOP muscles through abortion curbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    What does the FDA actually do, Thunder?
    Food and Drug Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The FDA is responsible for protecting and promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety, tobacco products, dietary supplements, prescription and over-the-counter pharmaceutical drugs (medications), vaccines, biopharmaceuticals, blood transfusions, medical devices, electromagnetic radiation emitting devices (ERED), veterinary products, and cosmetics.

  3. #193
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Va. House GOP muscles through abortion curbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Food and Drug Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The FDA is responsible for protecting and promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety, tobacco products, dietary supplements, prescription and over-the-counter pharmaceutical drugs (medications), vaccines, biopharmaceuticals, blood transfusions, medical devices, electromagnetic radiation emitting devices (ERED), veterinary products, and cosmetics.
    Alright, so talking about medication.... if you took away the FDA, all you would remove is regulation. That would lower the cost of prescription drugs immensely. Also, remember you would still need a prescription to get medicine. It's not like you could just go out and buy some random drug just because the FDA wasn't there. Your doctor will advise you and prescribe you which medicines to take.

    You're just taking the government out of it, and leaving decisions to be made between a patient and their doctor.

    That said, I think we need SOME regulation... just nothing like what we have today.
    Last edited by Peter Grimm; 02-20-12 at 09:34 PM.

  4. #194
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Va. House GOP muscles through abortion curbs

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    Va. House GOP muscles through abortion curbs

    "The ultrasound legislation would constitute an unprecedented government mandate to insert vaginal ultrasonic probes into women as part of a state-ordered effort to dissuade them from terminating pregnancies, legislative opponents noted.

    "We're talking about inside a woman's body," Del. Charnielle Herring, a Democrat, said in an emotional floor speech. "This is the first time, if we pass this bill, that we will be dictating a medical procedure to a physician.""

    Wow. Stay out of my vagina Virginia.


    I have a quick question that occurs to me:


    How many of the people up in arms about this can demonstrate that they have ever been similarly incensed about a requirement to have a pap smear in order to get birth control prescribed?

  5. #195
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Va. House GOP muscles through abortion curbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Alright, so talking about medication.... if you took away the FDA, all you would remove is regulation. That would lower the cost of prescription drugs immensely. Also, remember you would still need a prescription to get medicine. It's not like you could just go out and buy some random drug just because the FDA wasn't there. Your doctor will advise you and prescribe you which medicines to take.

    You're just taking the government out of it, and leaving decisions to be made between a patient and their doctor.

    That said, I think we need SOME regulation... just nothing like what we have today.
    Yeah, who cares about silly stuff like food and drug safety? I'm sure those genormous corporations only have our best interests in mind.

  6. #196
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Va. House GOP muscles through abortion curbs

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    So spending on education does NOT improve education.
    At this point, that is correct



    Providing children with health care does NOT improve their health
    Not when it's the Government Providing it. Especially for our poorer children.

    And providing healthy lunches does NOT help them learn.
    they have an interesting tendency to throw those healthy lunches in the trash and get less healthy food off of a black market. God bless'em for not liking the nanny state, either.

  7. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Va. House GOP muscles through abortion curbs


    Something tells me they don't want to be inconvenienced by proof.

    It doesn't get anymore open and shut than this.

  8. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Va. House GOP muscles through abortion curbs

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Yeah, who cares about silly stuff like food and drug safety? I'm sure those genormous corporations only have our best interests in mind.
    Doesn't your doctor have your best interests in mind?

  9. #199
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Va. House GOP muscles through abortion curbs

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I have a quick question that occurs to me:


    How many of the people up in arms about this can demonstrate that they have ever been similarly incensed about a requirement to have a pap smear in order to get birth control prescribed?
    I have never been required to undergo a pap smear to get birth control (be it pills or other forms). Usually for the pill a blood pressure test is required. Pap smears have to do with detecting cervical cancer, it is recommended that women get an annual test from about 21 y.o. or from when they are sexually active to about age 70. Some doctors do, this article cites it as 1/3 always and 44% "regularly" require it. That is not even half of those surveyed.

    This is not required by law as opposed to the ultrasound law being proposed.

    Are Doctors
    Last edited by taxigirl; 02-21-12 at 01:33 AM.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  10. #200
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Va. House GOP muscles through abortion curbs

    so 1/3 always and 44 regularly. my wife has always had to get a pap smear to get birth control. which she describes as a bit less fun than a sonogram.

    and the public outcry is.... nowhere.

    because this isn't really about the procedure. It's about abortion.
    Last edited by cpwill; 02-21-12 at 01:35 AM.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •