Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 67

Thread: Cincinnati High School Paying Students To Come To School

  1. #1
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    06-21-18 @ 10:25 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,767

    Cincinnati High School Paying Students To Come To School

    Cincinnati High School Paying Students To Come To School « CBS Cleveland

    The school’s CEO Ken Furrier told CBS Cleveland that students will get Visa gift cards for showing up everyday for school, being on time for class and not getting into trouble. Seniors would get $25 while underclassmen would get $10.
    The school would also put $5 into a savings account for the student that earns a gift card.
    Ah, yes, parenting and education in 2012.

    Of course, if evil rich white men would let these kids go to school in the first place, there'd be no problem.

  2. #2
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    06-21-18 @ 04:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,778

    Re: Cincinnati High School Paying Students To Come To School

    I do not think kids should receive cash from tax payers for doing something that they should already be doing.I think it will create some sort of idea that people are supposed to pay you to do things you are already supposed to be doing. It amounts to giving people for not speeding,or giving people money because they paid their bills.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #3
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    06-21-18 @ 10:25 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,767

    Re: Cincinnati High School Paying Students To Come To School

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I do not think kids should receive cash from tax payers for doing something that they should already be doing.I think it will create some sort of idea that people are supposed to pay you to do things you are already supposed to be doing. It amounts to giving people for not speeding,or giving people money because they paid their bills.
    Yep.

    My motivation was, if I didn't go to school and perform, my dad would have my ass, and my mom would take away every ounce of limited freedom I had. That, and they managed to install enough personal pride and desire to succeed that I took my future into my own hands.

    And no, we weren't wealthy by any stretch.

  4. #4
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,991

    Re: Cincinnati High School Paying Students To Come To School

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I do not think kids should receive cash from tax payers for doing something that they should already be doing.I think it will create some sort of idea that people are supposed to pay you to do things you are already supposed to be doing. It amounts to giving people for not speeding,or giving people money because they paid their bills.
    i disagree
    we all respond to incentives (or disincentives)
    don't think they went far enough
    the school system should also financially reward students who perform well in school (and who do not create discipline problems)
    any student who does not attend regularly or whose GPA is less than a 2.0 should have their drivers license suspended until those problems are cured
    any family of such a student, which family receives any form of government assistance, should have to endure oodles of red tape to continue to receive their benefits. that might motivate mom/dad to more closely monitor their child's academic career
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    I may be wrong, I mean I may stand before you in six months and say, ‘Hey I was wrong.' I don’t know that I’ll ever admit that, but I’ll find some kind of an excuse. ~ tRump
    seldom right but never in doubt

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,553

    Re: Cincinnati High School Paying Students To Come To School

    “Our student population is 90 percent poverty,” Furrier told CBS Cleveland.
    You can make 10K in a few hours selling drugs on the street or you can go to school and work your ass off to go college, amass student loan debt, and then end up on food stamps because you can't get a job.

    It's funny, all the "capitalists" on this forum, and not a single one of them understands incentive or what kinds of incentives the kids living in poverty experience in this day and age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 02:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Cincinnati High School Paying Students To Come To School

    I hated high school and often did have the thought that they should pay me to be there, since it was costing me employment hours.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Over that way
    Last Seen
    06-18-18 @ 12:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,568

    Re: Cincinnati High School Paying Students To Come To School

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    You can make 10K in a few hours selling drugs on the street or you can go to school and work your ass off to go college, amass student loan debt, and then end up on food stamps because you can't get a job.

    It's funny, all the "capitalists" on this forum, and not a single one of them understands incentive or what kinds of incentives the kids living in poverty experience in this day and age.
    Kind of like the incentive of people becoming a productive member of society, having your freedoms, and living a long life, as opposed to being a blight on society, a person your parents are ashamed of, ruining the lives of other people for your own greed, and rotting in prison or being gunned down in the street?

  8. #8
    Sage

    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Over that way
    Last Seen
    06-18-18 @ 12:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,568

    Re: Cincinnati High School Paying Students To Come To School

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    I hated high school and often did have the thought that they should pay me to be there, since it was costing me employment hours.
    Schools pay you in education. You are there for your benefit not theirs.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    06-21-18 @ 10:25 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,767

    Re: Cincinnati High School Paying Students To Come To School

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i disagree
    we all respond to incentives (or disincentives)
    don't think they went far enough
    the school system should also financially reward students who perform well in school (and who do not create discipline problems)
    any student who does not attend regularly or whose GPA is less than a 2.0 should have their drivers license suspended until those problems are cured
    any family of such a student, which family receives any form of government assistance, should have to endure oodles of red tape to continue to receive their benefits. that might motivate mom/dad to more closely monitor their child's academic career
    You actually think schools should pay students for showing up for a free education? And for acting like decent human beings?

    This is the kind of thing I did to train my dog.

  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,553

    Re: Cincinnati High School Paying Students To Come To School

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Kind of like the incentive of people becoming a productive member of society, having your freedoms, and living a long life, as opposed to being a blight on society, a person your parents are ashamed of, ruining the lives of other people for your own greed, and rotting in prison or being gunned down in the street?
    A productive member of society? You mean like the CEOs, bankers, and Wall Street brokers who steal millions and then get the government to bail them out for millions more? Do you mean the people who work and save their entire life and then lose everything because they end up with an illness and they are underinsured? How about all those hard working and productive people in the last few years who watched their 401Ks disappear and ended up under water on their mortgage?

    I'm sorry, but I don't think you can feed that bull crap, fantasy American dream stuff to kids living in poverty in this day and age when they have witnessed the corruption of the last decade. They are as you wanted them to be. They are materialistic consumers, who think greed is good, and will innovate whatever way they can to make quick cash rather than waste their lives toiling under the plow just to have the fruits of their labor stripped from them by a celebrated rich crook who will never face repercussions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •