Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Abortion at St Joseph's Hospital to Save a Woman's Life..

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,944

    Re: Abortion at St Joseph's Hospital to Save a Woman's Life..

    For a long time in my community there was only one hospital, a Catholic one that never turns anybody away. It routinely handled ectopic pregnancies and other emergencies, and I also had my tubal ligation there.

    Just wanted to add a little fairness and balance here. One situation, however heinous (if it is; I don't know all the facts), doesn't prove anything.

  2. #12
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Abortion at St Joseph's Hospital to Save a Woman's Life..


    "In a statement issued to The Republic late Friday, the diocese confirmed that Olmsted learned of the case after the surgery.

    "I am gravely concerned by the fact that an abortion was performed several months ago in a Catholic hospital in this diocese," Olmsted said. "I am further concerned by the hospital's statement that the termination of a human life was necessary to treat the mother's underlying medical condition.

    "An unborn child is not a disease. While medical professionals should certainly try to save a pregnant mother's life, the means by which they do it can never be by directly killing her unborn child. The end does not justify the means."


    When a Hospital gets to the point that it needs to break the hypocratic oath in order to please an overseer with no medical background...it's a major problem. Guaranteed, if I am able I will avoid all Catholic Hospitals for me and mine.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Abortion at St Joseph's Hospital to Save a Woman's Life..

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    This is exactly the kind of blind ideology that makes me see red. Physicians in Catholic hospitals are expected to allow a patient to die rather than violate church policy, a policy that dictates that women are expendable if pregnancy kills them.
    Regardless of how I feel on the particular issue at hand, these people know how their employer (the church) feels on this matter. You either follow the employer's policies, or you face the consequences of those decisions. I have to do quite a few things at work that I think are 100% wrong, but I either do them or I no longer have a job. Thankfully my decisions are not generally moral in nature at work, but they have been on a couple of occasions (I refused to work on two different projects for moral reasons). Only my good fortune allowed me to retain my job in those two cases.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: Abortion at St Joseph's Hospital to Save a Woman's Life..

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    For a long time in my community there was only one hospital, a Catholic one that never turns anybody away. It routinely handled ectopic pregnancies and other emergencies, and I also had my tubal ligation there.

    Just wanted to add a little fairness and balance here. One situation, however heinous (if it is; I don't know all the facts), doesn't prove anything.
    As it should be... especially when there is only one hospital.......

  5. #15
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Abortion at St Joseph's Hospital to Save a Woman's Life..

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Regardless of how I feel on the particular issue at hand, these people know how their employer (the church) feels on this matter. You either follow the employer's policies, or you face the consequences of those decisions. I have to do quite a few things at work that I think are 100% wrong, but I either do them or I no longer have a job. Thankfully my decisions are not generally moral in nature at work, but they have been on a couple of occasions (I refused to work on two different projects for moral reasons). Only my good fortune allowed me to retain my job in those two cases.
    Is it a different story (To You) when it is a matter of Life and Death?

  6. #16
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Abortion at St Joseph's Hospital to Save a Woman's Life..

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    No it wasn't the patient.. it was the Nun Administrator.

    There is NO indication the patient was Catholic.
    You mean an infidel came in for an abortion?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: Abortion at St Joseph's Hospital to Save a Woman's Life..

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You mean an infidel came in for an abortion?
    I am missing your point.. The patient's life was in immediate danger and the penalty went to the Nun-Administrator who authorized saving the woman's life.

    Why not read the article?

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Abortion at St Joseph's Hospital to Save a Woman's Life..

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    Is it a different story (To You) when it is a matter of Life and Death?
    No. Not really. Then again my principles are more important to me than my life, so that makes me a little different than most people. I have a DNR, a Living Will, and another legal document that I take with me every time I go to see a new doctor or go to the hospital. They lay out in strict detail the things that I will not allow to be done to/for me. I've had doctors turn me away because of them. That's fine with me. If they won't respect my wishes, I'll go somewhere else.

  9. #19
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Abortion at St Joseph's Hospital to Save a Woman's Life..

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You mean an infidel came in for an abortion?
    Catholics do not regard non-Catholic Christians as 'infidels', though I presume you mean this in jest... just saying, however...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  10. #20
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Abortion at St Joseph's Hospital to Save a Woman's Life..

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    I am missing your point.. The patient's life was in immediate danger and the penalty went to the Nun-Administrator who authorized saving the woman's life.

    Why not read the article?
    In saving the woman's life, they took the life of an unborn child.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •