Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 192

Thread: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

  1. #121
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    I can't quote you acurately because you inserted text in my quote...anyways,

    I believe you did place them on different planes with the comment:
    No, as that would be a falsehood in my mind. Please do not attempt to compare Faith with Sex...this will do very little to increase your credibility on reality.
    You go on to say that you have experience in both, who doesn't? You can't make this call for other people. That is my point. People are individuals, and they will place values on the objects and emothions that mean something to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    By taking the apples and oranges approach, the entire debate (and issue) are sidestepped. Also, as I have quite a bit of experience in both regards...I will state for the record they are not similar in any way.

    Though it has been said that great sex can be a religious experience...heh.
    My comment was:
    But seriously, you CANNOT tell a thousand men that they need to ignore one of the most fundamental and driving forces in humanity (spirituality), and expect things to go well", would you still make it?
    That is the position of religious minds. They believe that if people are missing out in spirituality things shouldn't be expected to well. You feel that without sex things shouldn't be able to go well. I ask again, who are you to judge the other's values?
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  2. #122
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    ...snip...
    I ask again, who are you to judge the other's values?
    I am less judging, than evaluating and forming opinion...and yes, it is simply MY opinion. I am not commenting on your values, but instead (as indicated by the data I have posted) expressing said opinion based on information I have noted. I will state however, that your claims of my ignorance, trust issues, judgement...etc...can easily be seen as a form of the very thing you accuse my of.

    To Clarify:

    It has been documented that sexual abuse occurs in above average numbers within the Catholic Church.
    It has been documented that the Catholic Church was "Less than forthright" in its dealings with the issue.
    It has been documented that Catholic Priests take a vow of Celibacy.

    It is understood that Humans enjoy sex.
    It is understood that deprivation of a joy leads to unhappiness.
    It is understood that Unhappiness often leads to frustration and illogical action.

    To accept these things as reality does not require a judgement...Taken in the context of this situation however...one cannot be blamed for doing so, and claiming hypocracy.

  3. #123
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    I am less judging, than evaluating and forming opinion...and yes, it is simply MY opinion. I am not commenting on your values, but instead (as indicated by the data I have posted) expressing said opinion based on information I have noted. I will state however, that your claims of my ignorance, trust issues, judgement...etc...can easily be seen as a form of the very thing you accuse my of.

    To Clarify:

    It has been documented that sexual abuse occurs in above average numbers within the Catholic Church.
    It has been documented that the Catholic Church was "Less than forthright" in its dealings with the issue.
    It has been documented that Catholic Priests take a vow of Celibacy.

    It is understood that Humans enjoy sex.
    It is understood that deprivation of a joy leads to unhappiness.
    It is understood that Unhappiness often leads to frustration and illogical action.

    To accept these things as reality does not require a judgement...Taken in the context of this situation however...one cannot be blamed for doing so, and claiming hypocracy.
    Amazing you read it that way. I never insinuated that you were ignorant, had trust issues, or bad judgment.

    Your argument is based solely on sex and sex drive. My point is simple. Just because someone takes a vow of Celibacy, doesn't mean there is going to be a problem as you initially indicated.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  4. #124
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Amazing you read it that way. I never insinuated that you were ignorant, had trust issues, or bad judgment.

    Your argument is based solely on sex and sex drive. My point is simple. Just because someone takes a vow of Celibacy, doesn't mean there is going to be a problem as you initially indicated.

    I did not indicate such a thing...rather I indicated that the Odds were increased in reply to your claim they were not, or at least that Catholic Clergy had no higher an instance than anyone else. Perhaps I am reading to much into what you type...but when someone types you are making "Another Ignorant Statement, Do not Trust Men to control themselves, and asks you what gives you the right to judge....they may be implying you are ignorant, have trust issues, and are judging.

    I suppose I could be wrong

  5. #125
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    I did not indicate such a thing...rather I indicated that the Odds were increased in reply to your claim they were not, or at least that Catholic Clergy had no higher an instance than anyone else. Perhaps I am reading to much into what you type...but when someone types you are making "Another Ignorant Statement, Do not Trust Men to control themselves, and asks you what gives you the right to judge....they may be implying you are ignorant, have trust issues, and are judging.

    I suppose I could be wrong
    You aren't catching my point. So, I am not going any further.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    I doubt anyone is blaming "All" Catholics for the issues...but we are blaming the Church they belong to, as we should. While other religious institutions do indeed do terrible things, we are not discussing them right now, and I have not seen any other church with the level of problems we see in the Catholic Church.

    But seriously, you CANNOT tell a thousand men that they need to ignore one of the most fundamental and driving forces in humanity (Sex), and expect things to go well.
    Where's your crusade against Buddhist monks? They lead the same lifestyle.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    Do you believe the Church is sinful?
    I think those within the Church have sinned from time to time. I think that Church Fathers lead more godly lives than you or I do. I think that the witch hunt going on against the Catholic Church is a reflection on the fact that you don't want to feel judged... and the Catholic Church is the biggest target. It has nothing to do with reason, and everything to do with fear and hatred.

    BTW, I'm not even Catholic.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Been married to a Catholic for nearly a decade, only slept with that one person for my entire adult life.
    Married to another man?

  9. #129
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Married to another man?
    No, a woman.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    Whatever the case, the reality is that you don't demonize a whole group/institution for the actions of some in that group. That goes for the OWS, the TP, Christians, Muslims, Atheists, etc.

    Can we agree on that or should we have to beat this poor dead horse even further?

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •