Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 192

Thread: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

  1. #111
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    If you can convince yourself that the Church is just as sinful as you are, then you don't need to feel the discomfort of being judged by the Church's morality.

    I get how it works.
    Do you believe the Church is sinful?

  2. #112
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    Haha, forgive me if I don't want to be part of a homophobic, xenophobic, racist organization that didn't support slavery but didn't mind the perks it brought.
    No, but your fine hating people based on their beliefs which puts you in the same catagory as racists, and homophobics. Enjoy the company hypocrite.

  3. #113
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I think he was referring to the fact that some people have chosen to condemn all Catholics not just those involved in pedophilia and the cover up. It's pretty ignorant to condemn all Catholics for the actions of certain Catholic leaders.

    Also, I'm not sure what Paterno has to do with this. People of all denominations or none at all do horrible things. Whatever link you're trying to draw to his Catholicism is just ignorant and a symptom of illogical intolerance.
    I doubt anyone is blaming "All" Catholics for the issues...but we are blaming the Church they belong to, as we should. While other religious institutions do indeed do terrible things, we are not discussing them right now, and I have not seen any other church with the level of problems we see in the Catholic Church.

    But seriously, you CANNOT tell a thousand men that they need to ignore one of the most fundamental and driving forces in humanity (Sex), and expect things to go well.

  4. #114
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    I doubt anyone is blaming "All" Catholics for the issues...but we are blaming the Church they belong to, as we should. While other religious institutions do indeed do terrible things, we are not discussing them right now, and I have not seen any other church with the level of problems we see in the Catholic Church.

    But seriously, you CANNOT tell a thousand men that they need to ignore one of the most fundamental and driving forces in humanity (Sex), and expect things to go well.
    If you changed your sentence to, "But seriously, you CANNOT tell a thousand men that they need to ignore one of the most fundamental and driving forces in humanity (spirituality), and expect things to go well", would you still make it?
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  5. #115
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    No, but your fine hating people based on their beliefs which puts you in the same catagory as racists, and homophobics. Enjoy the company hypocrite.
    Another straw man. Show me where I said I hate catholics? Kthanxbai.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #116
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    If you changed your sentence to, "But seriously, you CANNOT tell a thousand men that they need to ignore one of the most fundamental and driving forces in humanity (spirituality), and expect things to go well", would you still make it?
    No, as that would be a falsehood in my mind. Please do not attempt to compare Faith with Sex...this will do very little to increase your credibility on reality.
    Last edited by tecoyah; 02-16-12 at 11:54 AM.

  7. #117
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    I doubt anyone is blaming "All" Catholics for the issues...but we are blaming the Church they belong to, as we should. While other religious institutions do indeed do terrible things, we are not discussing them right now, and I have not seen any other church with the level of problems we see in the Catholic Church.
    I didn't say anyone was blaming all Catholics. I said some people were condemning all Catholics for the pedophilia scandal and if you read certain posts, you'll see that I'm right. You'll see where one poster even called all Catholics supporters of the scandal simply because they are Catholic. That is unjust intolerance and ignorance. I also said that condemning the Church was understandable - just not regular Catholics.

    But seriously, you CANNOT tell a thousand men that they need to ignore one of the most fundamental and driving forces in humanity (Sex), and expect things to go well.
    Another ignorant statement. There is NO evidence that Catholicism has any more pedophilia than the general population. Moreover, there is absolutely ZERO evidence that celibacy has anything to do with pedophilia. Pedophilia in the Catholic Church or anywhere has NOTHING to do with the celibacy vow. Married men are just as, if not more, likely to sexually abuse children as celibate men.

  8. #118
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    No, as that would be a falsehood in my mind. Please do not attempt to compare Faith with Sex...this will do very little to increase your credibility on reality.
    In your mind you put sex above spirituality. All feelings. You feel men can't be trusted without sex, they feel men can't be trusted without spirituality.

    Why shouldn't someone compare faith with sex? Who are you too judge others values?
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  9. #119
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I didn't say anyone was blaming all Catholics. I said some people were condemning all Catholics for the pedophilia scandal and if you read certain posts, you'll see that I'm right. You'll see where one poster even called all Catholics supporters of the scandal simply because they are Catholic. That is unjust intolerance and ignorance. I also said that condemning the Church was understandable - just not regular Catholics.


    Another ignorant statement. There is NO evidence that Catholicism has any more pedophilia than the general population. Moreover, there is absolutely ZERO evidence that celibacy has anything to do with pedophilia. Pedophilia in the Catholic Church or anywhere has NOTHING to do with the celibacy vow. Married men are just as, if not more, likely to sexually abuse children as celibate men.

    Ignorant, is a relatively strong term to bandy about, thus I will refrain from such things in favor of supplying Data:
    "The evidence is that a higher percentage of Catholic priests and male Religious molest
    children more than other ministers of religion. Clergy of all denominations do not molest
    equally. In her foreword, the lawyer, Sylvia Demerest cites a 1995 survey of 19,000
    treating professionals, funded by the National Centre on Child Abuse and Neglect. The
    study found that in the US, 94% of abuses by religious authorities were sexual in nature.
    Over half of these cases (54%) involved perpetrators and victims who were Catholic, even
    though Roman Catholics comprise only 25% of the United States population. The minor
    victims of priest abuse are overwhelmingly boys and teenagers, (80­90%), which is
    contrary to the pattern of abuse in the general population."


    Studies on Priests Molesting Children

    I suppose I may simply be ignorant, and am adding 2+2 to get 5...but the celibacy seems more likely than anything else, including this:
    "A lengthy, in-depth report on the child sexual abuse scandals of the Catholic Church—a report paid for primarily by the Catholic Church—has found that it wasn't the whole "celibate, sexually frustrated men in close proximity to vulnerable children" thing that caused all the molestation. It was hippies."

    Catholic Church Blames Hippies, Not Celibacy, for All That Kid-Molesting

  10. #120
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Priest allegedly told rape victim: ‘This is what God’s love feels like’

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    In your mind you put sex above spirituality. All feelings. You feel men can't be trusted without sex, they feel men can't be trusted without spirituality.

    I do not remember placing one above the other, but instead pointed out that sex is a very powerful aspect of human nature. That you somehow feel you know my mind so well, is perhaps more indicative of your own mind, than mine. I also do not see where I claimed to have trust issues...but I am sure you will read into my comments whatever suits you best.

    Why shouldn't someone compare faith with sex? Who are you too judge others values?
    By taking the apples and oranges approach, the entire debate (and issue) are sidestepped. Also, as I have quite a bit of experience in both regards...I will state for the record they are not similar in any way.

    Though it has been said that great sex can be a religious experience...heh.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •