Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: 2 American women arrested during protest in Bahrain

  1. #1
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    03-29-12 @ 05:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26

    2 American women arrested during protest in Bahrain

    (CNN) -- Two American women were arrested during a demonstration Saturday in the capital of Bahrain, with state news and one of the women's husbands offering divergent accounts as to whether they were then deported.

    Huwaida Arraf and Radhika Sainath arrived in Bahrain several days ago and obtained tourist visas, reported the state-run Bahrain News Agency .

    They were arrested Saturday afternoon by authorities in Manama, the news agency and the advocacy group Witness Bahrain both said.

    Adam Shapiro, Arraf's husband, told CNN late Saturday from Ireland that the two have been charged with being at an illegal gathering -- because the protest they were at was not considered legal -- as well as giving false reasons for entering the county. He based his account on talks with U.S. embassy officials, though he hadn't talked with his wife directly.

    He denied that the women had been deported back to the United States, as the Bahrain News Agency reported.

    Rather, Shapiro said the women spent part of what was early Sunday morning at a Bahraini court hearing attended by a prosecutor, their lawyers, a judge and two U.S. embassy officials.

    U.S. State Department spokesman Harry Edwards confirmed the American embassy was aware and engaged in the case, noting that consular officials had visited the pair.

    Arraf gave a statement to police in English that was written down in Arabic, her husband said. She refused to sign the statement because it was not translated back to English, according to Shapiro.

    Neither woman appeared to have suffered any sort of injuries, U.S. embassy officials told Shapiro.

    The advocacy group Witness Bahrain said both Arraf and Sainath are human rights lawyers. They were in the Middle Eastern country as part of an effort to have more civilians from different nations on the ground to monitor the situation.

    Sainath wrote a piece Friday for Witness Bahrain, saying, "Surely, the government would behave differently if Americans and Europeans were watching."

    "Our team came together: attorneys, human rights activists, social workers, journalists and others who had experience with nonviolent resistance and democracy movements in Mexico, Palestine, Pakistan and the United States," she said.

    The Bahrain protests began February 14, 2011 -- following popular uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt. But they failed to gain the traction of other Arab Spring uprisings following a crackdown that first month and then again in mid-March by Bahraini authorities -- backed by troops from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

    Demonstrators and Bahraini authorities have continued to clash, with the opposition accusing the government of being heavy handed in its crackdown on protests.







    Bahrainis are demanding democracy, constitutional kingdom or republic, YOU PEOPLE all over the world should support them...

    On 2/14 the Bahraini revolution will complete a year. And the protesters are promising a big demonstrations, while the regime there is not giving permissions for the press to enter Bahrain.
    Last edited by MustafaHH; 02-12-12 at 10:19 AM.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: 2 American women arrested during protest in Bahrain

    Quote Originally Posted by MustafaHH View Post
    (CNN) -- Two American women were arrested during a demonstration Saturday in the capital of Bahrain, with state news and one of the women's husbands offering divergent accounts as to whether they were then deported.

    Huwaida Arraf and Radhika Sainath arrived in Bahrain several days ago and obtained tourist visas, reported the state-run Bahrain News Agency .

    They were arrested Saturday afternoon by authorities in Manama, the news agency and the advocacy group Witness Bahrain both said.

    Adam Shapiro, Arraf's husband, told CNN late Saturday from Ireland that the two have been charged with being at an illegal gathering -- because the protest they were at was not considered legal -- as well as giving false reasons for entering the county. He based his account on talks with U.S. embassy officials, though he hadn't talked with his wife directly.

    He denied that the women had been deported back to the United States, as the Bahrain News Agency reported.

    Rather, Shapiro said the women spent part of what was early Sunday morning at a Bahraini court hearing attended by a prosecutor, their lawyers, a judge and two U.S. embassy officials.

    U.S. State Department spokesman Harry Edwards confirmed the American embassy was aware and engaged in the case, noting that consular officials had visited the pair.

    Arraf gave a statement to police in English that was written down in Arabic, her husband said. She refused to sign the statement because it was not translated back to English, according to Shapiro.

    Neither woman appeared to have suffered any sort of injuries, U.S. embassy officials told Shapiro.

    The advocacy group Witness Bahrain said both Arraf and Sainath are human rights lawyers. They were in the Middle Eastern country as part of an effort to have more civilians from different nations on the ground to monitor the situation.

    Sainath wrote a piece Friday for Witness Bahrain, saying, "Surely, the government would behave differently if Americans and Europeans were watching."

    "Our team came together: attorneys, human rights activists, social workers, journalists and others who had experience with nonviolent resistance and democracy movements in Mexico, Palestine, Pakistan and the United States," she said.

    The Bahrain protests began February 14, 2011 -- following popular uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt. But they failed to gain the traction of other Arab Spring uprisings following a crackdown that first month and then again in mid-March by Bahraini authorities -- backed by troops from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

    Demonstrators and Bahraini authorities have continued to clash, with the opposition accusing the government of being heavy handed in its crackdown on protests.


    Bahrainis are demanding democracy, constitutional kingdom or republic, YOU PEOPLE all over the world should support them...

    On 2/14 the Bahraini revolution will complete a year. And the protesters are promising a big demonstrations, while the regime there is not giving permissions for the press to enter Bahrain.
    I have American friends living in Bahrain for well over a decade.. They say this is media nonsense..

    They tell me the protests are quite small and localized and that it business as usual in Bahrain.

    In fact, on the day of their "biggest protest".. 300 Americans arrived fron Saudi Arabia and played golf.

  3. #3
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: 2 American women arrested during protest in Bahrain

    Being an activist going to a middle-eatern country to participate in their protests is asking for trouble.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: 2 American women arrested during protest in Bahrain

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    Being an activist going to a middle-eatern country to participate in their protests is asking for trouble.
    Yep... These women should have been quick walked to the airplane and deported instantly.

  5. #5
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    03-29-12 @ 05:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26

    Re: 2 American women arrested during protest in Bahrain

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    I have American friends living in Bahrain for well over a decade.. They say this is media nonsense..

    They tell me the protests are quite small and localized and that it business as usual in Bahrain.

    In fact, on the day of their "biggest protest".. 300 Americans arrived fron Saudi Arabia and played golf.

    What you call small and localized protestors, have been estimated to be more than 150,000 protesters (considering the small population of Bahrain plus the politically nationalised), and it is increasing. in the past weeks the protests are taking place in the capital city "Al-Manama",the other villages and the second main city Al-Muharraq. take a look on these links: [1], [2], [3]

    In fact, on the day of their "biggest protest".. 300 Americans arrived fron Saudi Arabia and played golf.
    Big protest does not mean no body can enter Bahrain.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: 2 American women arrested during protest in Bahrain

    Quote Originally Posted by MustafaHH View Post
    What you call small and localized protestors, have been estimated to be more than 150,000 protesters (considering the small population of Bahrain plus the politically nationalised), and it is increasing. in the past weeks the protests are taking place in the capital city "Al-Manama",the other villages and the second main city Al-Muharraq. take a look on these links: [1], [2], [3]


    Big protest does not mean no body can enter Bahrain.
    A few hundred in a group..

    This doesn't involve all Shia in Bahrain.. and I have far more reason to trust old friends who are there every day, than the media and instigators.

  7. #7
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    03-29-12 @ 05:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26

    Re: 2 American women arrested during protest in Bahrain

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    A few hundred in a group..

    This doesn't involve all Shia in Bahrain.. and I have far more reason to trust old friends who are there every day, than the media and instigators.
    We do not know you, and we don't know your friends, so media is more trust able than you.

    Here is some pictures for you, of a "going now" protests:

    430003_281499805248481_150213768377086_735179_2059060046_n.jpg

    you see the smokes? this is from the condemnation of the protest, and here is another one:
    430608_292796504117160_151079694955509_829370_1659153191_n.jpg




    this pictures are captured by the protestors not the press.
    Last edited by MustafaHH; 02-13-12 at 09:53 AM.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: 2 American women arrested during protest in Bahrain

    Quote Originally Posted by MustafaHH View Post
    We do not know you, and we don't know your friends, so media is more trust able than you.

    Here is some pictures for you, of a "going now" protests:

    430003_281499805248481_150213768377086_735179_2059060046_n.jpg

    you see the smokes? this is from the condemnation of the protest, and here is another one:
    430608_292796504117160_151079694955509_829370_1659153191_n.jpg

    .




    this pictures are captured by the protestors not the press.
    There is no way to tell if ALL those people in the street want to overthrow the government or not..

    And if you are correct in your numbers... 150,000 people is ten percent of the Bahraini population.

  9. #9
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    03-29-12 @ 05:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26

    Re: 2 American women arrested during protest in Bahrain

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    There is no way to tell if ALL those people in the street want to overthrow the government or not..

    And if you are correct in your numbers... 150,000 people is ten percent of the Bahraini population.
    almost 50% of the announced population of Bahrain are politically naturalized, just to change the demography of Bahrain. And by the way 150,000 are the least estimations.

    I'll try to provide you for this day 13/2 huge protest.

    and for mentioning the political naturalization you should watch the video in this link:
    Video: Political Naturalization in Bahrain | Bahrain Center for Human Rights



    Just living near by Bahrain and visiting it, does not mean you know everything.
    Last edited by MustafaHH; 02-13-12 at 10:12 AM.

  10. #10
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: 2 American women arrested during protest in Bahrain

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    Being an activist going to a middle-eatern country to participate in their protests is asking for trouble.
    Yes - I'm very tired of being wandering into harms way and then calling home, crying, when they're in poor favor all of a sudden.

    THINK BEFORE YOU JUMP IN THE POOL - dip****s.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •