Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 98

Thread: Egypt's Brotherhood says it should govern

  1. #1
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Egypt's Brotherhood says it should govern

    A spokesman for Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood which now dominates parliament called on Thursday for the caretaker cabinet to be sacked and replaced with a Brotherhood one after deadly football riots.The Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party, which won almost half of parliament's seats in elections over November and December, had said it would work with the military-appointed cabinet for a transitional period.But the Brotherhood's spokesman Mahmud Ghozlan said the February 1 riot at a football stadium in the Mediterranean town of Port Said, which left more than 70 dead, showed that the government had failed to manage the country.Egypt's Brotherhood says it should govern - Yahoo! News
    Gheeze, we didn't see this one coming right?....Oh wait, we did too...In fact it is exactly what we said would happen. What a mess. Funny how the Islamist group MB sounds just like liberal progressives here in America doesn't it?Using a crisis to grab power, changing their name to soften the appeal to the masses, etc....j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #2
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,187

    Re: Egypt's Brotherhood says it should govern

    Why the hysteria? Nobody has seized anything. They called for change, but nothing has, yet. The army still controls Egypt, like they did when Musharraf was their front man. At best the army let the riot happen, at worst they triggered it. As for changing their party name, that's what it's called, everyone in Egypt knows who they are and what they stand for, and a largely Muslim population voted for a Muslim party. Why is anyone shocked or surprised? The MB has much more in common with the Repubs these days. Conservative religionists? Doesn't sound liberal to me.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  3. #3
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,597
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Egypt's Brotherhood says it should govern

    The Muslim Brotherhood wants to govern Egypt? *gasp!* Who didn't see that coming?

    Seriously, who didn't? Nothing I want to see happen, but Egypt isn't my country. It was obvious that despite the privious government's western alliances, it was abusing their people until the people literally revoted. They got what they wanted... kinda. They pushed Mubarak out, and thought they'd won. I hoped for the best for them, I really did. But power is a seductive succubus. When it is begging to be taken and you don't even have to buy it dinner first, someone is going to bend it over and make it their bitch.

    I'm sad for the Egyptians, because it's not my country and as they are now learning, it's not really their country either.

  4. #4
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,777

    Re: Egypt's Brotherhood says it should govern

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Gheeze, we didn't see this one coming right?....Oh wait, we did too...In fact it is exactly what we said would happen. What a mess. Funny how the Islamist group MB sounds just like liberal progressives here in America doesn't it?Using a crisis to grab power, changing their name to soften the appeal to the masses, etc....j-mac
    Religious group trying to seize power to enforce their religious ideology on everyone in the country. Yep, sure sounds like those darned liberals.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #5
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,874
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Egypt's Brotherhood says it should govern

    No religous group should control a country.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  6. #6
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Egypt's Brotherhood says it should govern

    Deja vu "all over again". This seems to be the natural order of things over in Egypt. To be replaced by religious based law that violates human rights....


    "If the military council refuses to let Parliament name a new cabinet, Brotherhood leaders said, they may seek a no-confidence vote on the whole government, or take to the streets."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/10/wo...1&pagewanted=2

  7. #7
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:19 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,060

    Re: Egypt's Brotherhood says it should govern

    You wanted a caliphate? You got it.

    Next up....Syria, the entire northern African coastline, and eventually, Turkey.

    And then....it's on.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: Egypt's Brotherhood says it should govern

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Why the hysteria? Nobody has seized anything. They called for change, but nothing has, yet. The army still controls Egypt, like they did when Musharraf was their front man. At best the army let the riot happen, at worst they triggered it. As for changing their party name, that's what it's called, everyone in Egypt knows who they are and what they stand for, and a largely Muslim population voted for a Muslim party. Why is anyone shocked or surprised?

    The MB has much more in common with the Repubs these days. Conservative religionists? Doesn't sound liberal to me.
    I'm in your corner on this.. the MB has evolved and matured alot in the past 50 years.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: Egypt's Brotherhood says it should govern

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    You wanted a caliphate? You got it.

    Next up....Syria, the entire northern African coastline, and eventually, Turkey.

    And then....it's on.
    There won't be another Caliphate...... The last guy who proclaimed himself Caliph was in the 1920s and he was chased out of town within a couple of weeks.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:19 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,060

    Re: Egypt's Brotherhood says it should govern

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    There won't be another Caliphate...... The last guy who proclaimed himself Caliph was in the 1920s and he was chased out of town within a couple of weeks.
    Well, soon, the Brotherhood will control the entire southern coastline of the Mediteranean Sea, and is working on the easterncoastline, too.

    Israel will be completely surrounded, soon enough, with Brotherhood-run countries. This will be the bloodiest war ever.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •