Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 67

Thread: Drones over U.S. get OK by Congress

  1. #11
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,812

    Re: Drones over U.S. get OK by Congress

    Betting pool on when the first VFR Cessna collides with one of these.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #12
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Drones over U.S. get OK by Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    My new home I am building is very remote and I guess the DEA thinks it is a prime pot growing spot. Every summer around harvest time a helicopter hovers over our garden so low I can see the guys faces. It completely pisses me off, as far as I am concerned this is a search without a warrant. I stand there and give them both middle fingers. At least a drone would be quiet I guess.
    To me this is the whole argument. If someone wants to play Spy In The Sky they can do that now using a helicopter. The only difference is the drone makes less noise. I honestly don't see an issue with drones other than the added crash and collision risks.


    Now, if you want to talk about surveillance equipment and it's uses that's a different story. The same IR cameras and whatnot used on drones can (and no doubt are in some cases) used on helicopters as well. How surveillance is carried out inside the US has it's own set of laws and should be addressed the same way other surveillance cases have been.

  3. #13
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: Drones over U.S. get OK by Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    To me this is the whole argument. If someone wants to play Spy In The Sky they can do that now using a helicopter. The only difference is the drone makes less noise. I honestly don't see an issue with drones other than the added crash and collision risks.

    Now, if you want to talk about surveillance equipment and it's uses that's a different story. The same IR cameras and whatnot used on drones can (and no doubt are in some cases) used on helicopters as well. How surveillance is carried out inside the US has it's own set of laws and should be addressed the same way other surveillance cases have been.
    For me, I'm totally cool with drones for police use. In fact, I'd feel more secure with them in use. Imagine if you were the victim of a crime in progress or were witnessing one. You could dial something like 1011 on your cell phone. Location data could be sent directly to a drone. An overhead drone's camera could lock on to the cell phone location where police units could be directed to the perps (because it already has eyes on them) far faster than current means. Drones could significantly improve the effectiveness of law enforcement.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Drones over U.S. get OK by Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Why is 1984 becoming more and more of a reality?
    Because American citizens are too stupid and immoral to do what they should rather than what they want to without "Big Brother" watching.

    Oh, and this isn't going to make a huge amount of difference. They already do it with satellites.

  5. #15
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: Drones over U.S. get OK by Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Oh, and this isn't going to make a huge amount of difference. They already do it with satellites.
    Really? There's satellites under police control? Like a Sheriff in Waco, TX could get that kind of data instantly?
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Drones over U.S. get OK by Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleAye View Post
    Really? There's satellites under police control? Like a Sheriff in Waco, TX could get that kind of data instantly?
    Not the local PD's, but definitely the Feds. About 10 years ago a local gun club got an interesting package from the Mass. Department of Environmental Protection..... A recent law had been passed that required all shooting facilities in the state to be pointed away from any body of water on the property. Clubs were given 18 months to relocate their facilities. About 9 months after the law was passed, this club received the package, which contained satelite imagery showing their Skeet/Trap range still facing a small pond on their property, with a not so nice hand-written note reminding them about the law. The club already had plans in place to turn the range, but it hadn't been completed yet. So, if you don't think that State and potentially Local Law Enforcement agencies can get that imagery, I would suggest you're mistaken.

  7. #17
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: Drones over U.S. get OK by Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Not the local PD's, but definitely the Feds. About 10 years ago a local gun club got an interesting package from the Mass. Department of Environmental Protection..... A recent law had been passed that required all shooting facilities in the state to be pointed away from any body of water on the property. Clubs were given 18 months to relocate their facilities. About 9 months after the law was passed, this club received the package, which contained satelite imagery showing their Skeet/Trap range still facing a small pond on their property, with a not so nice hand-written note reminding them about the law. The club already had plans in place to turn the range, but it hadn't been completed yet. So, if you don't think that State and potentially Local Law Enforcement agencies can get that imagery, I would suggest you're mistaken.
    Nine month-old data is old data. And did the followup also come from the feds or from the local police?

    What would really help police is if they can get recon of an area within 30 mins. Even better within 5 mins. The feds aren't going to retask a satellite to get info for a small county sheriff at all, and of course not before a crime in progress has provided time for perps to get away. Eyes in the Sky in the form of UCAVs can be far more available to small PDs. Even the operation cost could be shared out amongst many so it's within their budget. They could have the benefit of aerial recon without having to jump through the many hoops of getting data from government satellites.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Drones over U.S. get OK by Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleAye View Post
    Nine month-old data is old data. And did the followup also come from the feds or from the local police?

    What would really help police is if they can get recon of an area within 30 mins. Even better within 5 mins. The feds aren't going to retask a satellite to get info for a small county sheriff at all, and of course not before a crime in progress has provided time for perps to get away. Eyes in the Sky in the form of UCAVs can be far more available to small PDs. Even the operation cost could be shared out amongst many so it's within their budget. They could have the benefit of aerial recon without having to jump through the many hoops of getting data from government satellites.
    The followup came from the STATE DEP. The aerial images came from the FEDS, at the request of the STATE and the photos were less than two months old (by the date on the photo).

    I'm all for Local PD's being given access to this sort of UAV for their work. I always have been and probably always will be.

  9. #19
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Drones over U.S. get OK by Congress

    I'm a citizen. I'm tired of being treated like a potential criminal or a threat waiting to happen instead of one of the people that this government is supposed to be by, for, and of.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  10. #20
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: Drones over U.S. get OK by Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    I'm a citizen. I'm tired of being treated like a potential criminal or a threat waiting to happen instead of one of the people that this government is supposed to be by, for, and of.
    That makes a lot of sense, and I understand your feelings. But the other side of it, is the people who might try to do something TO YOU. For me, I would prefer that police forces do something halts or even prevents people from doing something TO ME, rather than punishing then after the fact, after they've already done the damage. I prefer prevention rather than retribution. About all I can count on now is retribution, and honestly that is cold comfort.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •