Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 50

Thread: Top House Republican vows legislation to overturn Obama rule mandating birth control

  1. #11
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Top House Republican vows legislation to overturn Obama rule mandating birth cont

    Clearly because decreasing access to healthcare for poorer couples is a move that benefits this country. Especially on the astoundingly flimsy logic that a few people whose religious beliefs (not even all Catholics mind you, and exactly zero of the Catholics I've ever asked) require them to not use birth control means that they have to stop others from using it as well.

    How about we keep our eyes on the ball and work on doing something about all this poverty?
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  2. #12
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,299

    Re: Top House Republican vows legislation to overturn Obama rule mandating birth cont

    More "cowbowing" to the Religious Right.

    Seriously, keep selling out to the Bible Thumping RR and pretty soon we will all be living in a religious state. Ridiculous.

    Boehner is such a beatch to the RR.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Top House Republican vows legislation to overturn Obama rule mandating birth cont

    THIS issue is partially about religion. So if they republicans speak on a issue concerning religion then they are making the entire 2012 election about religion. And your reply is but they talked about clintons indescretions before too? Yes there have been religious issues in every election, that does not mean that republicans have made every election about religion. Are you even able to see an entire picture?

  4. #14
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Top House Republican vows legislation to overturn Obama rule mandating birth cont

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    More "cowbowing" to the Religious Right.

    Seriously, keep selling out to the Bible Thumping RR and pretty soon we will all be living in a religious state. Ridiculous.

    Boehner is such a beatch to the RR.


    I must have missed the part where you have to be conservative or a republican to be religious or care about issues involving religion. I wish I had gotten that memo.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: Top House Republican vows legislation to overturn Obama rule mandating birth cont

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    I must have missed the part where you have to be conservative or a republican to be religious or care about issues involving religion. I wish I had gotten that memo.
    It's only the religious issues dealing with forcing their views on morality on others that attracts the interest of the evangelist Conservative "base" of the GOP. Apparently they are worried that faith and fear of God is not enough to enforce their opinions, they want it made the law of the land. Like Sharia.
    Last edited by iguanaman; 02-08-12 at 03:52 PM.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Top House Republican vows legislation to overturn Obama rule mandating birth cont

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    It's only the religious issues dealing with forcing their views on morality on others that attracts the interest of the evangelist Conservative "base" of the GOP. Apparently they are worried that faith and fear of God is not enough to enforce their opinions, they want it made the law of the land. Like Sharia.
    Liberal religious people force their faith on others just as much. Dont give me that crap.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Top House Republican vows legislation to overturn Obama rule mandating birth cont

    Wow... partisan hackery at its finest. There's no denying that some of the GOP platform involves religion - could this because a portion of their constituents vote based on religious values? Gee, I wonder. Not capitalizing on religion means you aren't playing politics properly.

    I support what Obama did regarding the insurance plans because it supports my personal values, but I cannot deny that he has basically forced this birth control issue down the throats of the religious. Why target them so specifically like this? The GOP are fighting back because they are the party of the Christian right, did you expect anything less?

    I fail to see how this means the 2012 platform will be all religion, when it never has been in the past. Social hotbutton issues always come up but they are hardly what the election revolves around.

  8. #18
    Guru
    PerfectStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,182

    Re: Top House Republican vows legislation to overturn Obama rule mandating birth cont

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    How about we keep our eyes on the ball and work on doing something about all this poverty?
    You mean like we've been doing for the last 50 years?

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Top House Republican vows legislation to overturn Obama rule mandating birth cont

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Wow... partisan hackery at its finest. There's no denying that some of the GOP platform involves religion - could this because a portion of their constituents vote based on religious values? Gee, I wonder. Not capitalizing on religion means you aren't playing politics properly.

    I support what Obama did regarding the insurance plans because it supports my personal values, but I cannot deny that he has basically forced this birth control issue down the throats of the religious. Why target them so specifically like this? The GOP are fighting back because they are the party of the Christian right, did you expect anything less?

    I fail to see how this means the 2012 platform will be all religion, when it never has been in the past. Social hotbutton issues always come up but they are hardly what the election revolves around.
    It's too bad more arguements can't be presented like this one. There is simply now way to have much of any arguement here. To say that one supports something but also realizes the problems that support causes but all the same, you support it is a valid position IMO even when if I disagree with the position.

    I can argue about the possible ramifications and you would likely agree but I can't argue your position.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Top House Republican vows legislation to overturn Obama rule mandating birth cont

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    It's only the religious issues dealing with forcing their views on morality on others that attracts the interest of the evangelist Conservative "base" of the GOP. Apparently they are worried that faith and fear of God is not enough to enforce their opinions, they want it made the law of the land. Like Sharia.
    Said the guy who argued that we should tax people for doing things he doesn't like.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •