Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 94

Thread: Judge gives teen killer's sentence

  1. #31
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,704

    Re: Judge gives teen killer's sentence

    This kind of case just pretty much affirms my thoughts on people that oppose the death penalty. Terrible...bad...she should rot in prison for the rest of her life and we should never give her a seconds thought...but...hey...lets not execute her...because...after all...we 'care'...

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Judge gives teen killer's sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    Although some serial killers have some trauma to the brain, the primary problem is that they have a void in their make up. Whereas others have a conscience, they have none. Many successful people are actually psychopaths as they tend to be above average in intelligence. It certainly doesn't mean they will be murderers though, but they will not hesitate to do so if they find it advantageous sexually or financially.
    I'm leery of using "conscience" since it's subjective. Regarding intellect, that reminds me of that excellent show, Dexter.

    The psychopathic serial killer's mind is something that merits more research.

  3. #33
    Professor
    NGNM85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,571

    Re: Judge gives teen killer's sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Tangible evidence helps. She did something vile. That aside, I wonder if there are any similarities among the brain scans of serial killers. If there's anything about it on Google I'll post it here.
    As the brain is the seat of consciousness, everything ultimately boils down to neurology. Unfortunately; our understanding of the brain, while impressive, and progressing all the time, is not sufficient to identify psychopaths simply on the basis of a single brain scan. This research is in it's infancy, really.
    Economic Left/Right: -7.25, Authoritarian/Libertarian:-7.13
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. -Noam Chomsky

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Judge gives teen killer's sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by NGNM85 View Post
    As the brain is the seat of consciousness, everything ultimately boils down to neurology. Unfortunately; our understanding of the brain, while impressive, and progressing all the time, is not sufficient to identify psychopaths simply on the basis of a single brain scan. This research is in it's infancy, really.
    Interesting. Thank you.

  5. #35
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Judge gives teen killer's sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I'm leery of using "conscience" since it's subjective. Regarding intellect, that reminds me of that excellent show, Dexter.

    The psychopathic serial killer's mind is something that merits more research.
    If you're truly interested you should read Anatomy of Motive by John Douglas. He spearheaded the FBI's profiling legacy at Quantico and spent a lot of time researching and interviewing some of this most prolific serial killers ever caught in the U.S. from the 1950s to the 1980s.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  6. #36
    Professor
    NGNM85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,571

    Re: Judge gives teen killer's sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    Although some serial killers have some trauma to the brain, the primary problem is that they have a void in their make up. Whereas others have a conscience, they have none. Many successful people are actually psychopaths as they tend to be above average in intelligence. It certainly doesn't mean they will be murderers though, but they will not hesitate to do so if they find it advantageous sexually or financially.
    That's mostly accurate. While a number of violent psychopaths have experienced head trauma, this is insufficient. There also seems to be a genetic link, but this isn't sufficient, either. The most significant precursor to sociopathy appears to be abuse, or neglect in very early childhood.

    Yes, psychopaths often excel at a number of things. They tend to be charming, and pursuasive. Ted Bundy was a bright law school student, and a mover, and shaker in local Republican politics. John Wayne Gacy was a highly successful businessman. Gary Heidnik was a financial whiz. Etc., etc.

    You are also correct in pointing out that, while they have no conscience, most psychopaths are not murderers.
    Economic Left/Right: -7.25, Authoritarian/Libertarian:-7.13
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. -Noam Chomsky

  7. #37
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge gives teen killer's sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    I agree. She should never get out and she should not be allowed to sit in prison milking tax payers for the next 60 years.
    I agree, but it was a plea deal and by making the 2 sentences run "consecutively" rather than concurrently she'll be there a long time regardless - probably. it will depend, in part, then if people show up or write protesting granting parole.

    The prosecution may have had some glitches in the case, or balking witnesses etc or even the family's request (privately), can't really know.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Judge gives teen killer's sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    If you're truly interested you should read Anatomy of Motive by John Douglas. He spearheaded the FBI's profiling legacy at Quantico and spent a lot of time researching and interviewing some of this most prolific serial killers ever caught in the U.S. from the 1950s to the 1980s.
    I'm searching that on my library tab right now. Sounds like an awesome book.

    EDIT: Awesome, I just placed a hold on it. Thanks.

  9. #39
    Professor
    NGNM85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,571

    Re: Judge gives teen killer's sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    If you're truly interested you should read Anatomy of Motive by John Douglas. He spearheaded the FBI's profiling legacy at Quantico and spent a lot of time researching and interviewing some of this most prolific serial killers ever caught in the U.S. from the 1950s to the 1980s.
    I'd also recommend Mindhunter.
    Economic Left/Right: -7.25, Authoritarian/Libertarian:-7.13
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. -Noam Chomsky

  10. #40
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Judge gives teen killer's sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I'm searching that on my library tab right now. Sounds like an awesome book.

    EDIT: Awesome, I just placed a hold on it. Thanks.
    I read it during my "I want to be an FBI profiler" phase...which lasted until I realized my eye sight, asthma, and bad knees would never qualify me for the prerequisite field work.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •