Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 270

Thread: Catholics hear anti-Obama letter in church

  1. #141
    Professor
    Amigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-13 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,945

    Re: Catholics hear anti-Obama letter in church

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    Here we go...I love it when you guys start the whole "Judging" thing. "But, he's not a TRUE Christian"...Those Mormons are a Cult...."Obamas a Muslim"....Only My religion knows GOD
    I never said that...and never thought of saying that. I was only starting a conversation with a fellow Catholic.

    ....All you do is make it painfully clear to those who actually respect each other that your faith is flawed.
    I didn't so anything that would cause that though.

    No wonder as we become more civilized, religion falls to the wayside.
    Every great nation that is, or has become secular, has failed.

    By the way, Is a child molesting priest...REALLY Catholic?
    That preist isn't catholic in the eyes of God, and the eyes of Rome.



    But you know what, it is foolish of you to assume something before I even said it. Now who's judging?
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT on Nov 8th, 2012 View Post
    Over the next four years the economy will continue to rebound and we will gradually get deficits under control. The real esate market will rebound, unemployment will fall to 6.5% or below, and GDP growth will stand at 3.5 - 4%. We won't be in any wars. And conservatives will still be whining.

  2. #142
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Catholics hear anti-Obama letter in church

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo View Post
    Sounds like you hate the constitution.
    So silly to try this ploy. It has often been seen on the Internet that to find God in the Constitution, all one has to do is read it, and see how often the Framers used the words "God," or "Creator," "Jesus," or "Lord." Except for one notable instance, however, none of these words ever appears in the Constitution, neither the original nor in any of the Amendments. The notable exception is found in the Signatory section, where the date is written thusly: "Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven". The use of the word "Lord" here is not a religious reference, however. This was a common way of expressing the date, in both religious and secular contexts. This lack of any these words does not mean that the Framers were not spiritual people, any more than the use of the word Lord means that they were. What this lack of these words is expositive of is not a love for or disdain for religion, but the feeling that the new government should not involve itself in matters of religion. In fact, the original Constitution bars any religious test to hold any federal office in the United States.
    As for the separation clause, The phrase "separation of church and state" does not appear anywhere in the Constitution. Thomas Jefferson wrote that the first ammendement erected a wall of separation between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion. I fail to see how this issue applies, as the only involvement here is a Federal Law...and in fact to avoid supporting any one religion, they cannot make exceptions.

  3. #143
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Catholics hear anti-Obama letter in church

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo View Post
    I never said that...and never thought of saying that. I was only starting a conversation with a fellow Catholic.



    I didn't so anything that would cause that though.



    Every great nation that is, or has become secular, has failed.



    That preist isn't catholic in the eyes of God, and the eyes of Rome.



    But you know what, it is foolish of you to assume something before I even said it. Now who's judging?

    At no point did I single you out in any way....in fact I'm pretty sure I used the phrase "You Guys", inferring to any thinking person that I was commenting on a group-think phenomenon, rather than an individual.
    That you assume I was debasing you, simply because I used your own quote in my reply says more about the validity of my statement than anything else. And yes, I judge...it's part of my religion.

  4. #144
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Catholics hear anti-Obama letter in church

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Yikes. Try to keep up. No 'rule'... the so called Obama rule.
    Yes, and wouldn't until 2014, so one has to wonder why try this stunt now? I know, because it is an election year, and Barry is worried. It's a diversion.

    And this is the last time I'm going to say this....

    Ha, ha...You say this like you have some real authority there, internet tough guy....heh, heh...


    the majority of Catholic women use contraceptives. Regardless of some archaic rule book and old celibate men.
    Whether they do or not is not the point. Don't you understand, it isn't about that. It IS about government, namely Obama ignoring, and trampling the constitution, and religious freedom.

    Good for you, getting more than one perspective, I aways encourage that.

    I try to fit a little comedy in my life...MSNBC provides that nicely.

    Exactly. So, for-profit hospitals and universities who hire people from all religions should provide proper health care coverage. And let everyone decide for themselves.
    Three things on this.

    1. If you don't like the benefits offered at your job, you don't have to work there.

    2. Contraceptives are widely available, no one is going to be without if they don't get it for free.

    3. They can decide. But they shouldn't be making the church pay for that decision.

    Please, please, please... when you don't have a clue, when you don't know what the hell you are talking about... DON'T POST. It's embarrassing.

    Since 1967, Notre Dame has been governed by a Board of Trustees, and not directly by the leadership of Holy Cross.

    Jesus, can you be a little honest here? Why didn't you include the rest of the small paragraph?

    Here is what you left out so people can openly see your dishonesty so early on...

    "The university is governed by two groups, the Board of Fellows and the Board of Trustees.[14] The Fellows of the University are a group of six Holy Cross religious and six lay members who have final say over the operation of the university. The fellows vote on potential Trustees and sign off on all major decisions by that body. The trustees select the president from the United States Province of the Congregation of Holy Cross."


    And try to wrap your head around this... 9,684 -- That is the number of contraceptive sterilization procedures performed at Catholic Hospitals (2000-2003)
    Lots of other than Catholic hospitals in that link...got anything else?

    The point is, Catholics don't care, Catholic Doctors don't care, this is about Obama and some hyper-partisan priests NOT MAINSTREAM CATHOLICS making a big deal to bring up ABORTIONS... whooooooooo, ahhhhhhhhh
    We shall see, won't we?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #145
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Catholics hear anti-Obama letter in church

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I'll try to find a better source, but for now :

    Christian Health Share Ministries' Exempt from ObamaCare - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com


    Basically what I'm getting is "non-profit" should not have to follow the healthcare law and therefore shouldn't have to follow the condom/birth control part of it either. However, hospitals and other "profit" organizations owned by the church will have to abide by the Healthcare law.
    So this applies more to the grey area. Not directly on the church, but on its activites. Fair enough. The Non-profit portion will not have to conform.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  6. #146
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Catholics hear anti-Obama letter in church

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    So this applies more to the grey area. Not directly on the church, but on its activites. Fair enough. The Non-profit portion will not have to conform.

    If that be the case, and seperation of church and state are the be all, end all in liberal doctrine, then let's also have a ban on democrat politicans speeching from the pulpit then eh? what do ya say?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #147
    Steve
    tryreading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Last Seen
    02-26-13 @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,809

    Re: Catholics hear anti-Obama letter in church

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    If that be the case, and seperation of church and state are the be all, end all in liberal doctrine, then let's also have a ban on democrat politicans speeching from the pulpit then eh? what do ya say?


    j-mac
    The law applies to all 503c3 organizations, no exemptions for any lean:

    The Restriction of Political Campaign Intervention by Section 501(c)(3) Tax-Exempt Organizations


    Under the Internal Revenue Code, all section 501(c)(3) organizations are absolutely prohibited from directly or indirectly participating in, or intervening in, any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. Contributions to political campaign funds or public statements of position (verbal or written) made on behalf of the organization in favor of or in opposition to any candidate for public office clearly violate the prohibition against political campaign activity. Violating this prohibition may result in denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain excise taxes.

    Certain activities or expenditures may not be prohibited depending on the facts and circumstances. For example, certain voter education activities (including presenting public forums and publishing voter education guides) conducted in a non-partisan manner do not constitute prohibited political campaign activity. In addition, other activities intended to encourage people to participate in the electoral process, such as voter registration and get-out-the-vote drives, would not be prohibited political campaign activity if conducted in a non-partisan manner.

    On the other hand, voter education or registration activities with evidence of bias that (a) would favor one candidate over another; (b) oppose a candidate in some manner; or (c) have the effect of favoring a candidate or group of candidates, will constitute prohibited participation or intervention.

    The Internal Revenue Service provides resources to exempt organizations and the public to help them understand the prohibition. As part of its examination program, the IRS also monitors whether organizations are complying with the prohibition.



    The Restriction of Political Campaign Intervention by Section 501(c)(3) Tax-Exempt Organizations
    Do not write in this space!

  8. #148
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Catholics hear anti-Obama letter in church

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    If that be the case, and seperation of church and state are the be all, end all in liberal doctrine, then let's also have a ban on democrat politicans speeching from the pulpit then eh? what do ya say?


    j-mac
    I don't see it that way.

    Either way, the whole arguement should not exist this should not be forced on the American people. But it won't go away.

    If the church has a for profit center, then it is going to have to abide by the rules.

    Once you take their money, you take their rules.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Catholics hear anti-Obama letter in church

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    So this applies more to the grey area. Not directly on the church, but on its activites. Fair enough. The Non-profit portion will not have to conform.
    Catholic hospitals, schools, etc are generally non profit. I say generally but what I mean is always, but I'll leave the generally as there may be an exception I'm not aware of.

    13 Largest Non-Profit Hospital Systems By Number of Hospitals | Lists and Statistics

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Catholics hear anti-Obama letter in church

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    I don't see it that way.

    Either way, the whole arguement should not exist this should not be forced on the American people. But it won't go away.

    If the church has a for profit center, then it is going to have to abide by the rules.

    Once you take their money, you take their rules.
    I know of none. Do you?

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •