Page 34 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 914

Thread: NYC Mayor Conducts Gun-Sale Sting in Arizona

  1. #331
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: NYC Mayor Conducts Gun-Sale Sting in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Your dishonest ignorance of historical reality is pathetic. FDR threatened the USSC with packing and then that court started ignoring more than one hundred years of precedent. since you claim to have a law degree from a somewhat prestigious law school, tell me what caused the USSC to ignore the 130 years of precedent (Culminating with Schechter Poultry) and suddenly start allowing stuff that had been struck down a couple years before
    Sadly my law school didn't teach mind reading. But logically, one might presume that, since the court packing scheme failed, it probably wasn't particularly influential. One might also assume that the shift in the Court's philosophy had more to do with the fact that Roosevelt served as President for many years and thus had the opportunity to nominate many like-minded justices.

  2. #332
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: NYC Mayor Conducts Gun-Sale Sting in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    exactly, that is a state power properly
    good thing the Federal government overstepped its bounds, otherwise much of the South would still be segregated and many Americans would still be second-class citizens.

  3. #333
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,571

    Re: NYC Mayor Conducts Gun-Sale Sting in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Sadly my law school didn't teach mind reading. But logically, one might presume that, since the court packing scheme failed, it probably wasn't particularly influential. One might also assume that the shift in the Court's philosophy had more to do with the fact that Roosevelt served as President for many years and thus had the opportunity to nominate many like-minded justices.
    so precedent did not matter to his picks? that is how the leftward ratchet of jurisprudence is explained-lefties ignore precedent and ratchet the court left-subsequent conservatives respect precedent and cement into place the radical decisions before them.

    but the fact remains, no one can, with a straight face, claim that the founders saw the commerce clause as a carte blanche to regulate small arms. the CC was to allow congress to prevent say Ohio from levying tariffs on Pittsburgh Coal floating down the Ohio to ST Louis

  4. #334
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,571

    Re: NYC Mayor Conducts Gun-Sale Sting in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    good thing the Federal government overstepped its bounds, otherwise much of the South would still be segregated and many Americans would still be second-class citizens.

    Not really, the 14th amendment would have prevented much of that.

  5. #335
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: NYC Mayor Conducts Gun-Sale Sting in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Not really, the 14th amendment would have prevented much of that.
    14th Amendment: ratified in 1868.

    Civil Rights Act ending Segregation: signed into law in 1964.

    The 14th Amendment had 96 years to fail its mission.

  6. #336
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: NYC Mayor Conducts Gun-Sale Sting in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    so precedent did not matter to his picks? that is how the leftward ratchet of jurisprudence is explained-lefties ignore precedent and ratchet the court left-subsequent conservatives respect precedent and cement into place the radical decisions before them.

    but the fact remains, no one can, with a straight face, claim that the founders saw the commerce clause as a carte blanche to regulate small arms. the CC was to allow congress to prevent say Ohio from levying tariffs on Pittsburgh Coal floating down the Ohio to ST Louis
    Wow, could that be any more ironic, given the fact the current Court is packed with utlra-conservative justices who have been overturning precedents left and right?

    I would agree that the Founding Fathers would not approve of the current commerce clause analysis. Nor would they approve of the current anti-slavery analysis. As wise as the Founding Fathers were, they were not Gods. Times change.

  7. #337
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,571

    Re: NYC Mayor Conducts Gun-Sale Sting in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Wow, could that be any more ironic, given the fact the current Court is packed with utlra-conservative justices who have been overturning precedents left and right?

    I would agree that the Founding Fathers would not approve of the current commerce clause analysis. Nor would they approve of the current anti-slavery analysis. As wise as the Founding Fathers were, they were not Gods. Times change.
    Ultra conservatives? LOL-only a hard core welfare socialist could make such a claim. but thanks for admitting that the commerce clause is a joke as currently interpreted. and that bogus current interpretation has done more to bloat the federal government than any other legal precedent

  8. #338
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,571

    Re: NYC Mayor Conducts Gun-Sale Sting in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    14th Amendment: ratified in 1868.

    Civil Rights Act ending Segregation: signed into law in 1964.

    The 14th Amendment had 96 years to fail its mission.
    that really has no relevance

  9. #339
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: NYC Mayor Conducts Gun-Sale Sting in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    good thing the Federal government overstepped its bounds, otherwise much of the South would still be segregated and many Americans would still be second-class citizens.

    You have anything to back up that bigotted statement?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #340
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: NYC Mayor Conducts Gun-Sale Sting in Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Ultra conservatives? LOL-only a hard core welfare socialist could make such a claim. but thanks for admitting that the commerce clause is a joke as currently interpreted. and that bogus current interpretation has done more to bloat the federal government than any other legal precedent
    Oh, current CC analysis is anything but a joke. It was instrumental in overturning Jim Crow laws and has had many other salutary effects. The Founding Fathers got it mostly right, but they weren't perfect beings. Their work has been improved on over the years.

    As for the current Court, there's no question that it is the most conservative in living memory.

Page 34 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •