Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 485

Thread: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

  1. #321
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    To all my left wing friends who don't believe that the 9th circuit and specifically one of the judges who voted to overturn prop 8 here is your proof..........

    Will the Supreme Court intervene over Proposition 8? | The Lookout - Yahoo! News


    Why? First, Mazzone pointed out, the panel's ruling was 2-1, rather than unanimous, and it came from the 9th Circuit, the most reversed circuit in the country. Mazzone added that Reinhardt, who wrote the decision, is "among the most reversed" judges. As such, the ruling represents a "perfect storm for Supreme Court review


    there you go Redress......
    Last edited by Navy Pride; 02-08-12 at 10:22 PM.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  2. #322
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    To all my left wing friends who don't believe that the 9th circuit and specifically one of the judges who voted to overturn prop 8 here is your proof..........

    Will the Supreme Court intervene over Proposition 8? | The Lookout - Yahoo! News


    Why? First, Mazzone pointed out, the panel's ruling was 2-1, rather than unanimous, and it came from the 9th Circuit, the most reversed circuit in the country. Mazzone added that Reinhardt, who wrote the decision, is "among the most reversed" judges. As such, the ruling represents a "perfect storm for Supreme Court review


    there you go Redress......
    But this is not the only place in the country such laws have failed. See Iowa. Look around, court after court is throwing down bans. Doesn't amtter though, sooner or later, like it or not, gay marriage will be accepted. Fighting is merely pissing in the wind. not a good idea.


    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #323
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,786

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Sister Wives' Polygamist Plans Suit to Challenge Polygamy Law - ABC News
    Actually, his argument is gaining traction. The link provided talks about the show "Sister Wives". Apparently the male star of the show is suing the Utah state gov't saying they should not be allowed to prosecute him or any other practicer of polygamy for anything other than crimes such as incest, rape, child abuse, etc. In other words, they shouldn't be prosecuted for their polygamy, just the crimes that may spin off from it. I believe, as I'm sure most do, that this case will get thrown out. However, it will begin to set the precedent on how other polygamist's should go about attacking the legal system. If gay marriage is found to be a right, then things such as polygamy, child molestation, etc will start to pop up. I hate to believe it too, but I think Navy Pride is right.
    His arguments has zero traction and has always had zero traction. The same arguments cannot be used for polygamy as the do for homosexuality. Fact is, the way that gay marriage will ultimately win the day is NOT via the discrimination argument. It's through the government's reasons for sanctioning marriage at ALL argument. All research shows that married folks are healthier, more financially stable, do better rearing children, and create a more stable society, ALL of which help create a better functioning country. This is the reason why government sanctions marriage. Homosexual unions demonstrate the same rewards in research. Polygamy absolutely does NOT. Therefore, polygamy does NOT have the same components as same-sex marriage and is therefore a slippery slope argument that has no validity. I've told this to NP repeatedly over the years, but he refuses to listen.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #324
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,786

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    CC you are wrong. There are already groups in Utah lining up to see what happens on this issue. If gay marriage is approved why shouldn't they be allowed to marry 1 or a dozen partners. You don't want to discriminate against gays so how can you discriminate against them?
    NP, I've explained this to you several times over the years. Polygamy does NOT reap the same benefits as gay marriage does... which are the same that traditional marriage does. Therefore, the government has no reason to sanction it.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #325
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,786

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    There is good reason to keep the Gov in the marriage business especially where children are involved.
    Which is EXACTLY why gay marriage should be legal. Thank you for proving my position.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #326
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    As you've already shown, things such as challenges on those issues ALREADY happen. See the pushes by NAMBLA in the 90's, the polygamists even like you've just pointed out, etc. That's nothing new.

    Additionally, because bad things may come out of doing the right thing doesn't mean you shouldn't do the right thing. Protecting the right of Christians to practice their religion in certain ways means that hardcore islamists also get that same protection or even other crazy cults...that doesn't mean we shouldn't fight for the rights of christians to practice their religion. If we argue that we should have free speech that means that the KKK can have parades proclaiming white supremacy or neo-nazi's can do rallies against the jews or that Westboro can proclaim that God Hates Fags and our military is evil......but because protecting Freedom of Speech would lead to more of those kind of crazy actions doesn't mean we shouldn't protect freedom of speech.

    As a military man, you should know as well as anyone else that simply because people may do the wrong things with the rights they have doesn't mean we shouldn't defend their right to do it.

    If its unconstitutional to prohibit same sex marriage, the belief that it may spur other groups to push for similar rights isn't a reason to fight against it.
    Thank you for intelligent debate instead of attacking me for merely acting as the other side. My question is this, when is a right no longer right? I meant to word that the way I did too. For instance, you bring up NAMBLA. Their website exists primarily to give pedophiles a central location to find areas that are suitable for observing children. So, it is basically a one stop shop for pedophiles to find the closest local playground or park where children play so they can go look at them and conjure up their sick images of them. Any pedophile who has allowed his mind to wander will tell you that its only a matter of time before they act upon their fantasies. By allowing this website, yes we are protecting freedom of speech. However, when freedom of speech has the potential to cause harm to the portion of the population least capable of defending itself, I think its time to call common sense. Same with polygamists. Technically, they should have the right to practice it. Practically, polygamy doesn't work. It's been proven time and again to be a precursor to child abuse and violent crime. Why allow a primer to crime when we can stop it? I believe our Founders put the Constitution in place to keep men from distorting freedom and letting their self serving ways stop freedom. However, I also believe the Founders would say that common sense sometimes needs to over rule a piece of paper. We are human beings, we do make mistakes. We are also human beings who have been blessed with the ability to discern. We should use it in cases like these.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  7. #327
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,786

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Thank you for intelligent debate instead of attacking me for merely acting as the other side. My question is this, when is a right no longer right? I meant to word that the way I did too. For instance, you bring up NAMBLA. Their website exists primarily to give pedophiles a central location to find areas that are suitable for observing children. So, it is basically a one stop shop for pedophiles to find the closest local playground or park where children play so they can go look at them and conjure up their sick images of them. Any pedophile who has allowed his mind to wander will tell you that its only a matter of time before they act upon their fantasies. By allowing this website, yes we are protecting freedom of speech. However, when freedom of speech has the potential to cause harm to the portion of the population least capable of defending itself, I think its time to call common sense. Same with polygamists. Technically, they should have the right to practice it. Practically, polygamy doesn't work. It's been proven time and again to be a precursor to child abuse and violent crime. Why allow a primer to crime when we can stop it? I believe our Founders put the Constitution in place to keep men from distorting freedom and letting their self serving ways stop freedom. However, I also believe the Founders would say that common sense sometimes needs to over rule a piece of paper. We are human beings, we do make mistakes. We are also human beings who have been blessed with the ability to discern. We should use it in cases like these.
    Quite intelligent and well reasoned post.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #328
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    02-15-14 @ 04:49 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,939

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    Legal marriage has nothing to do with religious marriage unless the people involve want it too and the practice STILL remains with the churches. SO thats not a solution because its not a problem, churches can still religiously marry anyone they wish or deny anyone they wish and the right wont be impacted.
    Religious officials may perform marriages only to the extent that they have been issued a license to do so by the state. Marriage is an entirely civil function to which some participants elect to add religious trappings of their choosing. Those trappings are just that, however.

  9. #329
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    02-15-14 @ 04:49 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,939

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    To all my left wing friends who don't believe that the 9th circuit and specifically one of the judges who voted to overturn prop 8 here is your proof..........
    Will the Supreme Court intervene over Proposition 8? | The Lookout - Yahoo! News
    Why? First, Mazzone pointed out, the panel's ruling was 2-1, rather than unanimous, and it came from the 9th Circuit, the most reversed circuit in the country. Mazzone added that Reinhardt, who wrote the decision, is "among the most reversed" judges. As such, the ruling represents a "perfect storm for Supreme Court review
    there you go Redress......
    LOL. The 9th Circuit is easily the largest and busiest of the Circuits. Its actual reversal rate has historically been about average. Keep in mind that the USSC does not take on cases with its very limited calendar simply for the purpose of saying yes, that's right. It princiaplly takes on cases where Circuit court opnion has been divided, or where an appeal raises important matters of law that need to be resolved. Keep in mind also that the Rehnquist and Roberts courts have been highly activist, with many of their reversals being what has been out of step with previously established precedent.

  10. #330
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    02-15-14 @ 04:49 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,939

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    For instance, you bring up NAMBLA. Their website exists primarily to give pedophiles a central location to find areas that are suitable for observing children.
    Really? Here's the link. Give it a try...

    http://www.nambla.org

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    So, it is basically a one stop shop for pedophiles to find the closest local playground or park where children play so they can go look at them and conjure up their sick images of them.
    Let's get real here. Parks and playgrounds where children play can be found on any map. You don't need a special website.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Any pedophile who has allowed his mind to wander will tell you that its only a matter of time before they act upon their fantasies.
    Can I ask how many you have interviewed in order to have arrived at such a gem of a conclusion?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    By allowing this website, yes we are protecting freedom of speech. However, when freedom of speech has the potential to cause harm to the portion of the population least capable of defending itself, I think its time to call common sense.
    I guess it's time to shut down the NRA then, given their opposition to child safety-locks. Just common sense, really.

Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •