Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 485

Thread: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

  1. #311
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    CC you are wrong. There are already groups in Utah lining up to see what happens on this issue. If gay marriage is approved why shouldn't they be allowed to marry 1 or a dozen partners. You don't want to discriminate against gays so how can you discriminate against them?
    So what? The only people I've seen have a problem with polygamy are the people who are also against gay marriage. People also tried to use the slippery slope argument concerning interracial marriage too. DADT was also repealed and the world has yet to come to an end. Time and time again society tries to progress and the naysayers try to hold it up by using fear propaganda acting like the sky will fall if things change. Eventually things do change and everything ends up being okay. Why would this be any different?

  2. #312
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    02-15-14 @ 04:49 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,939

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    As you've already shown, things such as challenges on those issues ALREADY happen. See the pushes by NAMBLA in the 90's...
    NAMBLA has always believed that age-of-consent laws unfairly discriminate against young people. There was nothing special about the 1990's from that standpoint. There are others as well who are shocked for instance by injustices wrought under statutory rape laws who would tend to support NAMBLA's position in some areas.

  3. #313
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Just to be the devil's advocate, who are we to say the children can't be in a relationship with an adult? Why can't a 13 year old girl marry a 30 year old man? She's old enough to know what she's getting into. Its not like she's some 7 year old who will say yes to pretty much anything. She's 13. You see what I'm saying? I don't agree with it at all. But sicko's will say it and eventually soom kook judge will rule in favor of it. It will go to the Supreme Court and then who knows. It won't happen in the next 10 years or anything. But it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Sister Wives' Polygamist Plans Suit to Challenge Polygamy Law - ABC News
    Actually, his argument is gaining traction. The link provided talks about the show "Sister Wives". Apparently the male star of the show is suing the Utah state gov't saying they should not be allowed to prosecute him or any other practicer of polygamy for anything other than crimes such as incest, rape, child abuse, etc. In other words, they shouldn't be prosecuted for their polygamy, just the crimes that may spin off from it. I believe, as I'm sure most do, that this case will get thrown out. However, it will begin to set the precedent on how other polygamist's should go about attacking the legal system. If gay marriage is found to be a right, then things such as polygamy, child molestation, etc will start to pop up. I hate to believe it too, but I think Navy Pride is right.
    Children in relationships with adults would not pass rational review, as a clear interest in protecting children from relationships they are not ready for exists. Polygamy is tougher, but I doubt bans on it would fail constitutional checks. These are red herrings that have been repeatedly used and never once work since it is very clear, SSM is not polygamy, nor is it bestiality, nor relationships with children, nor any other type of relationship. They are distinctly different and as such would be different in the eyes of the courts.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #314
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    It was a joke that obviously flew over your head.

    That is the difference between you and I. I am serious here in DP your a joker that few take seriously
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #315
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Moderator's Warning:
    Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutionalGuys, let's talk the topic and not each other.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #316
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    There is good reason to keep the Gov in the marriage business especially where children are involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    What's your point in bringing in children?
    ................

  7. #317
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    As I've said to TheNextEra, a polygamy lawsuit is already in the courts. I was simply providing proof that someone saw the gay marriage debate tipping towards the gay community and thought they could capitalize. I hope it doesn't happen. Just saying its a possibility. Who would've thought 20 years ago we'd be this close to allowing gay marriage? No one.
    And that's a separate issue that stands or falls on it's own merit. However, pedophilia or bestiality is non-starter, as neither can concent. What you call capitaliznig is really them making a fallacious argument, ne that doesn't hold up. it's called the slippery sloppe fallacy.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #318
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    I think the correct solution to this issue is to get the state out of the marriage game. Return the practice to religions, where issues of morality belong.
    Legal marriage has nothing to do with religious marriage unless the people involve want it too and the practice STILL remains with the churches.

    SO thats not a solution because its not a problem, churches can still religiously marry anyone they wish or deny anyone they wish and the right wont be impacted.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #319
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post
    NAMBLA has always believed that age-of-consent laws unfairly discriminate against young people. There was nothing special about the 1990's from that standpoint. There are others as well who are shocked for instance by injustices wrought under statutory rape laws who would tend to support NAMBLA's position in some areas.
    What does the North American Marlon Brando Look Alikes have to with this?

  10. #320
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Saying the solution is civil unions is dishonesty

    Comparing equal gay rights to child molestation is even more dishonesty laced with ignorance.

    As far a polygamy goes, Equal gay rights also wont impact that, polygamy is a different thing that would have to develop its own arguments. And for the record I would also support polygamy 100% as long as its the same basic rules, consenting human adults . Its none of my business, the only real obstacle polygamy has is how to write its laws. IE when the a person dies what happens, who has the most power, spouse 1, the spouse with kids etc etc. The laws are the only problem but again none of my business.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •