Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 485

Thread: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

  1. #291
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    I think the correct solution to this issue is to get the state out of the marriage game. Return the practice to religions, where issues of morality belong.
    There is good reason to keep the Gov in the marriage business especially where children are involved.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  2. #292
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    There is good reason to keep the Gov in the marriage business especially where children are involved.
    You have gone off your rocker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  3. #293
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,875

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    There is good reason to keep the Gov in the marriage business especially where children are involved.
    The only reason the government wants a piece of marriage is so they can play tax games.

  4. #294
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    There is good reason to keep the Gov in the marriage business especially where children are involved.
    What's the difference between two gays being married raising children and two gays that aren't married raising children? So why does the government need to be involved with marriage again?

  5. #295
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    There is good reason to keep the Gov in the marriage business especially where children are involved.
    Alright. Enough.

    What's your point in bringing in children?

  6. #296
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    This isn't gender. It isn't even sexual preference or orientation. It is marriage and the constitutionality of state laws regulating it. With regard to same sex couples, SCOTUS has a precedent of summary dismissal of the question in Baker v. Nelson. You can't get more relaxed scrutiny than that.

    From Smith's opinion:
    And Loving v. VA was marriage and the constitutionality of states regulating it. It involved the states trying to deny the ability of people to enter into a certain legal contract based on their race.

    In the case of SSM and Prop 8, it involves marriage and the constitutionality of states regulating it. It involves the states trying to deny the ability of people to enter into a certain legal contract based on their sex.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #297
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Like I said before there is nothing in the Constitution about gay marriage and the originators would roll over in their graves if they knew the amendment was being used for this.
    Actually, if you're going to make the marriage argument...there's nothing about marriage, STRICTLY, in the constitution in the first place so the government shouldn't even be involved in it.

    Now, if you support the government getting involved in having any kind of federally sponsored government version of "marriage" then you're basically suggesting there's some standing under the constitution for the government to do such a thing.

    And, based on the 14th amendment, said government sponsored law must provide equal protection.

    Also, if you're going to be caring about originators of amendments rolling over in their graves, I don't seem to remember you having a huge issue when the Bush administration passed the Patriot Act despite the notions found within it would cause a similar reaction in many of the founders who penned the 4th amendment.

  8. #298
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    There is good reason to keep the Gov in the marriage business especially where children are involved.
    Then why are there states that specifically restrict certain couples from marrying to only being allowed if they cannot have children together?

    And besides that, there are many children involved in the lives of many same sex couples throughout the US. They and their parents deserve the same legal protections as any other family has, including the benefits of legal marriage.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #299
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    There is good reason to keep the Gov in the marriage business especially where children are involved.
    Please, show the constituional basis for the federal government being involved in marriage.

  10. #300
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Abolish marriage. Problems solved.

Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •