Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 485

Thread: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

  1. #251
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    It would be if men could marry men, but women could not marry women.

    As it is, you have described current marriage law as it has always been undestood. Nothing more. Nothing less.
    This time you should probably actually read this post.

    You have no understanding of the difference between "equal application" and "equal protection". I could make a law that argues that people are only allowed to marry their own race. That law would be considered "equal application" since only whites could marry whites and blacks could marry blacks. However, that law would not be equal protection since the government is arbitrarily using race to apply restrictions to civil rights. Same sex marriage bans are equal application but are not equal protection since the government is arbitrarily using sex to apply restrictions to civil rights.

    Nice try though. Pretending that "equal application of the law" is the same as "equal protection of the law" is the same strategy that was used by segregationists for decades. You have certainly fallen quite a bit if that is the playbook you have decided to borrow from in this debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  2. #252
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    This time you should probably actually read this post.

    You have no understanding of the difference between "equal application" and "equal protection". I could make a law that argues that people are only allowed to marry their own race. That law would be considered "equal application" since only whites could marry whites and blacks could marry blacks. However, that law would not be equal protection since the government is arbitrarily using race to apply restrictions to civil rights. Same sex marriage bans are equal application but are not equal protection since the government is arbitrarily using sex to apply restrictions to civil rights.

    Nice try though. Pretending that "equal application of the law" is the same as "equal protection of the law" is the same strategy that was used by segregationists for decades. You have certainly fallen quite a bit if that is the playbook you have decided to borrow from in this debate.
    You're repeating yourself.

    I've got work tomorrow.

    Night.

  3. #253
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    You're repeating yourself.

    I've got work tomorrow.

    Night.
    I'm repeating myself because you aren't reading my posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  4. #254
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    If we allow Prop 8 to overturn, it's only going to lead to other Props getting overturned.

  5. #255
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    If gay marriage is legal then you will have a whole bunch of others groups wanting the same right..........will you allow gays and discriminate against them? talk about a hypocrite.
    NP, you have been using this slippery slope argument for as long as I've known you at DP. It has been shown to be nothing but bunk many times in the past, and it is STILL nothing but bunk, today.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #256
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    IMO, the August 2010 ruling was strong. What I noted then is relevant today:

    Judge Vaughn Walker concluded that the proponents of Proposition 8 failed to meet the standards of demonstrating a “rational basis” for their position and that their position served a “legitimate state interest.” Arguments concerning tradition, caution in implementing social change, promoting opposite-sex parenting, protecting the freedom of those who oppose same-sex marriage, treating same-sex couples differently, and a blanket claim of “any other conceivable legitimate interests identified by the parties…” fell short of serving a legitimate state interest.

    Barring the discovery of credible evidence illustrates a legitimate state or public interest related to a restrictive marriage law that was overlooked by Judge Walker (and one would have to deal strictly with the arguments made in the case, which were weak e.g., adoption laws that have been upheld negate the parenting line of argument) or significant legal error by Judge Walker (which seems unlikely given customary interpretations of the 14th Amendment), my guess is that subsequent court decisions will uphold Judge Walker’s ruling.
    The Appeals Court's rulling does not surprise me. The initial ruling was strong in substance and the opponent's arguments were weak. Should the U.S. Supreme Court receive the case, I expect a similar outcome probably along 5-4 or perhaps even 6-3 margin.

  7. #257
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I would put to you that you hold a position that most Conservatives once held, but few do now. From one old Paleocon to another, good post. However, I disagree with you on adoption. Kids adopted by gays turn out quite well.
    I'll be honest. My hangup with same sex couples adopting is based upon my being a Christian. I believe being gay is a sin. I also believe that it's none of my business nor is it the gov'ts business. However, like my argument with abortion, there is an innocent "victim" in the case of same sex adoption. A child cannot choose whether they want to go to a same sex or traditional couple any more than they can decide whether they want to die in the case of abortion. God can overcome any obstacle if He chooses a child to be a follower of Him. But it is not my role to place obstacles in front of Him to overcome. I won't debate anyone that says children from same sex marriages turn out just as good as children from traditional marriages. I also believe those studies are based upon our standard as human beings, not God's standard. And its God's standard I worry about on any subject way before man's.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  8. #258
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I'll be honest. My hangup with same sex couples adopting is based upon my being a Christian. I believe being gay is a sin. I also believe that it's none of my business nor is it the gov'ts business. However, like my argument with abortion, there is an innocent "victim" in the case of same sex adoption. A child cannot choose whether they want to go to a same sex or traditional couple any more than they can decide whether they want to die in the case of abortion. God can overcome any obstacle if He chooses a child to be a follower of Him. But it is not my role to place obstacles in front of Him to overcome. I won't debate anyone that says children from same sex marriages turn out just as good as children from traditional marriages. I also believe those studies are based upon our standard as human beings, not God's standard. And its God's standard I worry about on any subject way before man's.
    Appreciate your honesty on the religion thing, but if you are worried about a child growing up without knowing the Christian God, then where is your hangup with atheists adopting? Or Wiccans? or Muslims? Religion isn't a prerequisite for adopting children so why would you have a problem with just gays adopting when there are many "non-Christian God" worshipping parents or atheist parents out there adopting.

    This is where I think gays are wrongly being discriminated against by Christians for that reason.

  9. #259
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    NP, you have been using this slippery slope argument for as long as I've known you at DP. It has been shown to be nothing but bunk many times in the past, and it is STILL nothing but bunk, today.
    Sister Wives' Polygamist Plans Suit to Challenge Polygamy Law - ABC News
    Actually, his argument is gaining traction. The link provided talks about the show "Sister Wives". Apparently the male star of the show is suing the Utah state gov't saying they should not be allowed to prosecute him or any other practicer of polygamy for anything other than crimes such as incest, rape, child abuse, etc. In other words, they shouldn't be prosecuted for their polygamy, just the crimes that may spin off from it. I believe, as I'm sure most do, that this case will get thrown out. However, it will begin to set the precedent on how other polygamist's should go about attacking the legal system. If gay marriage is found to be a right, then things such as polygamy, child molestation, etc will start to pop up. I hate to believe it too, but I think Navy Pride is right.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  10. #260
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    If gay marriage is found to be a right, then things such as polygamy, child molestation, etc will start to pop up. I hate to believe it too, but I think Navy Pride is right.
    Sorry but that is ridiculous. To compare child molestation to gay marriage is absurd.

    Polygamy you may have a point with and even with polygamy I see it more as an administration problem than a moral one.

Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •