Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 485

Thread: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

  1. #211
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You might want to do some reading on Baker. There is a precedural issue involved that makes it unusable in most cases.
    I've read enough legal crap today. What is it?

  2. #212
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Actually all those marriages are still in effect and recognized in California.
    Well yes, I suppose they would be.

  3. #213
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    I've read enough legal crap today. What is it?
    It is interesting. I've been trying to get people to discuss the specific legalities of Prop 8 forever, and now that this appeal decision has finally forced people to do so, all you guys are doing is parroting the dissenting opinion. Are you even capable, in your own words, of concisely explaining why Prop 8 should be delegated to rational basis scrutiny and precisely what state interests are served by not allowing same sex couples to call their civil relationship "marriage"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  4. #214
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I'll be the rare conservative on here who doesn't get in line with everyone else. I don't think the gov't should have anything to do with marriage. If two men want to marry, have at it. I don't agree with it and I believe it is a sin. However, I don't want the gov't telling us who can and can't be married. Two gays getting married isn't hurting anyone. They only condemn themselves. Who am I to judge them? I'm not God. I can judge their sin, not them. The slippery slope to go down is should they get adoption rights? My thoughts on gay marriage are based on the precedent that no innocent person is harmed. In stark contrast to abortion, I believe that two homosexuals getting married harms no one. Abortion does harm a person, so I don't agree with it. However, the issue of gay couples adopting children is one I can't decide and is a subect I would like to hear debate on. My gut tells me, no, they shouldn't get them. However, if we allow gays to marry, eventually the right to adopt will be pushed for. So, what say everyone else on this?
    I would put to you that you hold a position that most Conservatives once held, but few do now. From one old Paleocon to another, good post. However, I disagree with you on adoption. Kids adopted by gays turn out quite well.
    Last edited by danarhea; 02-08-12 at 12:55 AM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #215
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Because you are not being discriminated against because you are a man.
    Yes he would be. He is not entitled to a right that a woman has, simply because he is a man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  6. #216
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    However, the issue of gay couples adopting children is one I can't decide and is a subect I would like to hear debate on. My gut tells me, no, they shouldn't get them. However, if we allow gays to marry, eventually the right to adopt will be pushed for. So, what say everyone else on this?
    Over 30 years of research has conclusively shown that children raised by same sex couples turn out just as well as those raised by opposite sex couples. Would you like to see any of it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  7. #217
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Then how is it you can call the judges "activist"?
    By his reputation, come on the 2 judges that voted against it were appointed by Carter and Clinton DUH
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  8. #218
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    By his reputation, come on the 2 judges that voted against it were appointed by Carter and Clinton DUH
    NP. Arguing that any judge that is not appointed by a Republican is an "activist" is kind of weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  9. #219
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    How is the McCain presidency going NP?
    To old, not the case this time........I read that in the 12 battleground states that Obama does not have and approval rating above 50% in any of them....Be afraid Regress, be very afraid.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  10. #220
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Court: CA gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Already covered NP. It has more cases overruled, but it also rules on more cases. On a percentage basis it is pretty close to the rest of the courts.
    Do you have a link for that? I am talking percentage anyhow.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •