Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Anti-union groupís ad scores in Super Bowl

  1. #21
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    03-01-12 @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    9

    Re: Anti-union groupís ad scores in Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Here's the ad

    I find the video quite amusing.

    Union fees are small, what a bunch of whiners!

    But what is MOST amusing is that the guy whose "fault" it all is, "Harold", is the only guy who is working instead of standing around whining. That old-timer KNOWS just how bad companies will screw you without someone on your side.

    I guess a new generation is going to get to find out just how much companies can suck when there are not unions to provide a competitive wage base for companies to have to match. In fact, they already are finding that out as wages and benefits drop like a rock since most of the unions have been busted!
    Last edited by fiddlerdave; 02-07-12 at 02:41 AM.

  2. #22
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Anti-union groupís ad scores in Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    Thanks for posting that Dan! It says a lot about the employee rights act and why it's necessary.
    Glad I could help.

    Being a Texan I've never had to deal much with union stuff, though some communcations companies were unionized, or were union targets, such as the one I worked for back during the "long distance" wars. I dunno. I've just always gotten a creepy vibe from them.

    I understand why they were necessary as the country became more industrial. Just seems more like a racket today.

  3. #23
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Anti-union groupís ad scores in Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Glad I could help.

    Being a Texan I've never had to deal much with union stuff, though some communcations companies were unionized, or were union targets, such as the one I worked for back during the "long distance" wars. I dunno. I've just always gotten a creepy vibe from them.

    I understand why they were necessary as the country became more industrial. Just seems more like a racket today.
    And rightfully so. I negotiated labor contracts with labor unions for 12 years, I am very familiar with the beast. If the average union member only knew the deals made behind their backs and dues, they'd never pay dues again. I know of one deal where the Union negotiator got a set of keys for the owners ski lodge in Aspen CO to use anytime it was available in exchange for some major concessions in the contract they were negotiating. Oh I forgot the skydiving plane use too!
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  4. #24
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,014

    Re: Anti-union groupís ad scores in Super Bowl

    Much like the gun ad during the superbowl, I'll say again....I just dislike political motivated ad's during the game. Feels like cheap exploitation of the fact you have a captive audience who are watching for something entirely different than politics.

  5. #25
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Anti-union groupís ad scores in Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Much like the gun ad during the superbowl, I'll say again....I just dislike political motivated ad's during the game. Feels like cheap exploitation of the fact you have a captive audience who are watching for something entirely different than politics.
    I don't mind politically motivated ads so much. If you're willing to pay up, you deserve the airtime. I didn't mind this ad so much, even if it did espouse a politically different point of view from my own.

  6. #26
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,014

    Re: Anti-union groupís ad scores in Super Bowl

    I don't have anything really negative about the ad itself. It was decently well done. I just in general have a distaste for that kind of stuff during the Superbowl.

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,141

    Re: Anti-union groupís ad scores in Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Utility Man View Post
    The National Labor Relations Board does not protect certain employees.

    employed as an independent contractor
    yep. and here's the current situation : if you're looking for work, chances are (if you get hired) you'll be hired in as an "independent" contractor.

    what it means : no vacation days, no sick days, and no benefits unless the contractor you are technically employed by offers them to you.

    and no job security. most companies give you a maximum contract, and then you're out the door.

    most of the jobs hiring in 2010 in my area were "independent" contract work. this is for someone with a graduate degree.
    Last edited by Helix; 02-07-12 at 02:19 PM.

  8. #28
    User neocon1225's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, Georiga
    Last Seen
    09-22-12 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    86

    Re: Anti-union groupís ad scores in Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    It is so nice to see the Union Thugs coming under scrutiny by the masses. Folks should be able to choose whether they want representation or not. They should be able to choose whether their union Dues supports the political candidates they want. Folks should also have the right to work free from union pressure to join their political organization. I can only hope this spreads from coast to coast. The taxpayers deserve to get a fair shake with the politicians that the unions routinely purchase for their own benefit.
    I don't know about anyone else but I immediately disregard any thread that has "union thugs" in the OP. "Union thugh" is just a caricature and a stupid one at that. It lowers the intelligence of the conversation immediately and one can have an anti-union stance without having to resort to dated 1900's caricatures.
    America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
    -Oscar Wilde

  9. #29
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Anti-union groupís ad scores in Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    It is so nice to see the Union Thugs coming under scrutiny by the masses. Folks should be able to choose whether they want representation or not.
    They already do.

    They should be able to choose whether their union Dues supports the political candidates they want.
    Union dues don't support political candidates, except internally, and that's a matter for union leadership like any other, which is democratically elected.

    The taxpayers deserve to get a fair shake with the politicians that the unions routinely purchase for their own benefit.
    The taxpayers vote, not unions.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  10. #30
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Anti-union groupís ad scores in Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    And rightfully so. I negotiated labor contracts with labor unions for 12 years, I am very familiar with the beast. If the average union member only knew the deals made behind their backs and dues, they'd never pay dues again. I know of one deal where the Union negotiator got a set of keys for the owners ski lodge in Aspen CO to use anytime it was available in exchange for some major concessions in the contract they were negotiating. Oh I forgot the skydiving plane use too!
    Such deals are illegal. You engaged in an illegal act if you negotiated this. And it is certainly not common. Of course, stockholders have to worry about business leaders being blatantly corrupt like this too, don't they?
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •