Page 67 of 199 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 670 of 1989

Thread: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

  1. #661
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Why would anyone want to vote for Romney who sucked the blood out of companies with leveraged buyouts?
    Because he actually saved jobs and we need someone with business experience to paydown the 5.7 trillion he will inherit from Obama in debt. What did Romney do that Obama didn't do when he took over GM/Chrysler when he caused the closing of dealerships all over the country. The one thing he didn't do was sell an American asset to Italy, Chrysler to Fiat

  2. #662
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    So you are anti life and have no problem killing a baby? What does being a Morman have to do with anything? He governed the state of MA which is predominantly Catholic
    Yes - I hate life. Nope - I hate babies.

    My ideal candidate would be an atheist / anti-theist.
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  3. #663
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Come on, Pete, you are smarter than this. 1.059 million in January

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    So what matters to a liberal is the 8.3% unemployment rate because it is going down, not the 1.059 million discouraged workers that weren't counted or the individuals that dropped out of the labor force? Thanks for confirming what i always knew, liberals lack compassion and only want to advance a leftwing political agenda.
    Sorry Con, but the 1.059 million discouraged workers is wrong.


    What’s Behind the Unemployment Rate Drop? - Real Time Economics - WSJ

    "Today’s jobs report carries good news on both fronts. The unemployment rate fell, and the employment-population ratio rose. That means the improvement in the labor market is real — people actually found jobs.

    The employment gain wasn’t immediately obvious to some observers because of a quirk in this month’s report. Every January, the Labor Department readjusts its data to account for changes in the population. The tweaks are especially significant in years like this one that take into account a new decennial census.

    This year, the population adjustment makes it look like the employment-population ratio didn’t change from December to January. In reality, the ratio improved by 0.3 percentage points. The gains were just masked by the population adjustments.

    Here’s what happened: According to the Census Bureau, the civilian population grew by 1.5 million people in 2011. But the growth wasn’t distributed evenly. Most of the growth came among people 55 and older and, to a lesser degree, by people 16-24 years old. Both groups are less likely to work than people in their mid-20s to early 50s. So the share of the population that’s working is actually lower than previously believed. Taking that into account, the employment-population ratio went up. The unemployment rate wasn’t affected.

    “There was not a big increase in discouraged workers,” economist Betsey Stevenson commented on Twitter. “What happened was Census found a bunch of old people we had assumed died.”

    The adjustments had other effects, as well. They made drop in the number of unemployed look smaller than it really was, and the rise in the number of employed look bigger. And because the Labor Department doesn’t readjust its historical data to account for the new calculations, it isn’t possible to compare January’s figures on employment, unemployment and similar measures to those from earlier months."


  4. #664
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Because he actually saved jobs and we need someone with business experience to paydown the 5.7 trillion he will inherit from Obama in debt. What did Romney do that Obama didn't do when he took over GM/Chrysler when he caused the closing of dealerships all over the country. The one thing he didn't do was sell an American asset to Italy, Chrysler to Fiat
    You're a one trick pony.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  5. #665
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Sorry Con, but the 1.059 million discouraged workers is wrong.


    What’s Behind the Unemployment Rate Drop? - Real Time Economics - WSJ

    "Today’s jobs report carries good news on both fronts. The unemployment rate fell, and the employment-population ratio rose. That means the improvement in the labor market is real — people actually found jobs.

    The employment gain wasn’t immediately obvious to some observers because of a quirk in this month’s report. Every January, the Labor Department readjusts its data to account for changes in the population. The tweaks are especially significant in years like this one that take into account a new decennial census.

    This year, the population adjustment makes it look like the employment-population ratio didn’t change from December to January. In reality, the ratio improved by 0.3 percentage points. The gains were just masked by the population adjustments.

    Here’s what happened: According to the Census Bureau, the civilian population grew by 1.5 million people in 2011. But the growth wasn’t distributed evenly. Most of the growth came among people 55 and older and, to a lesser degree, by people 16-24 years old. Both groups are less likely to work than people in their mid-20s to early 50s. So the share of the population that’s working is actually lower than previously believed. Taking that into account, the employment-population ratio went up. The unemployment rate wasn’t affected.

    “There was not a big increase in discouraged workers,” economist Betsey Stevenson commented on Twitter. “What happened was Census found a bunch of old people we had assumed died.”

    The adjustments had other effects, as well. They made drop in the number of unemployed look smaller than it really was, and the rise in the number of employed look bigger. And because the Labor Department doesn’t readjust its historical data to account for the new calculations, it isn’t possible to compare January’s figures on employment, unemployment and similar measures to those from earlier months."
    What a surprise that you left out the final statement

    The adjustments had other effects, as well. They made drop in the number of unemployed look smaller than it really was, and the rise in the number of employed look bigger. And because the Labor Department doesn’t readjust its historical data to account for the new calculations, it isn’t possible to compare January’s figures on employment, unemployment and similar measures to those from earlier months."
    So tell me then why you and other obama supporters are taking credit for the unemployment numbers? With all that increase why are there still more unemployed today than when obama took office, fewer employed, and little growth in the civilian labor force?

  6. #666
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    With all that increase why are there still more unemployed today than when obama took office, fewer employed, and little growth in the civilian labor force?
    Because the Great Bush Recession sacrificed 8 million jobs to the Conservative gods.

  7. #667
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Because the Great Bush Recession sacrificed 8 million jobs to the Conservative gods.
    yep, keep going through life blaming someone else for your own failures. let's see how that works out for you

  8. #668
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    yep, keep going through life blaming someone else for your own failures. let's see how that works out for you
    If you're one of 8 million who lose their jobs in a massive financial collapse that you had nothing to do with, it's your own failure?
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  9. #669
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    If you're one of 8 million who lose their jobs in a massive financial collapse that you had nothing to do with, it's your own failure?
    "your" president was elected to solve the problem and turn the economy around. Three years later the results are what they are, a failure, but results don't matter to his supporters because he has a good smile and can sing. Isn't it amazing that we generated the January numbers with a "do nothing" Congress? He has been in office three years and the numbers are worse than when he took office yet that doesn't matter? Keep buying the media and Obama rhetoric because blaming others is all they do

  10. #670
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    yep, keep going through life blaming someone else for your own failures. let's see how that works out for you
    Your strawman aside, the Great Bush Recession is not a failure of Obama.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •