Page 38 of 199 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 1989

Thread: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

  1. #371
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The only way for debt to increase, is to spend more money.

    Sorry, but that's just a fact.
    Now that gets my nomination for clueless post of the week (for what should be obvious reasons... if you don't get it, don't ask -- for a post of your own will probably be nominated soon)

  2. #372
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The only way for debt to increase, is to spend more money.

    Sorry, but that's just a fact.
    I can see you will never get a job as an accountant. Have you ever had a family budget? What happens to your debt when to are unable to work because of illness or some other reason like being laid off? Huh?


  3. #373
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,516

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Uh huh
    Laugh all you want, but it was. The deficit was trending down (I even quoted the figures in my post), and the CBO projected surpluses by 2012, running out to at least 2017, based on then-current data.

    So, indeed, laugh, but it's the laughter of willful ignorance and nothing more.
    Last edited by Harshaw; 02-04-12 at 08:27 PM.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #374
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    $4.6 trillion added to the debt proves that the stimulus was a waste, hmm?

    The only thing proven here is the incoherency of your argument.
    I have learned it serves no purpose to argue with a liberal and let my own results speak for me. Since you ignore actual results it is a waste of time. You cannot comprehend 15.2 trillion dollars and the fact that the results are still worse than when he took office but that doesn't matter since rhetoric trumps substance.

  5. #375
    Skeptical Optimist
    Rhapsody1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Seen
    09-20-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    You don't appear to be conversant with the truth, since I asked for the source of the figures during the "Republican years". Your link only concerns 2011, and perhaps 2010.

    But since it appears we will not be getting a source for your 2007 figure (-$160.7 billion), I will ask you why that budget deficit is so low when the actual increase in the total public debt for FY 2007 was $500.7 billion?

    Perhaps the Bush-era budgets were hiding things off-budget?



    And whoa, look at that FY 2008 figure -- $1 trillion increase in the public debt!!?? But why do your figures only show a budget deficit of $458 billion?
    Don't quit your day job dude. The only reason I gave you the first link was to get the actual 2011 deficit figures and not the estimate.

    http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy11/pdf/hist.pdf

    idiot.JPG

    Hmmm, it seems when you track increases in the national debt via treasury releases there was no clinton surplus... hmm that's odd.
    Last edited by Rhapsody1447; 02-04-12 at 08:34 PM.
    "There is an excellent correlation between giving society what it wants and making money, and almost no correlation between the desire to make money and how much money one makes." ~Dalio

  6. #376
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    The cost of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were never in the budget.
    Good Lord, do you understand that budget doesn't mean spending? Budgets are a guideline not actual dollars spent. Every dollar for the wars is included in the yearly deficits. You are right, they weren't part of the budget but they WERE PART OF THE DEFICIT.

  7. #377
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Yes, and prior to the recession, the deficit was on track and projected to disappear, and surpluses reappear, all with the "warz" and the tax cuts intact. [...]
    Uh huh
    Laugh all you want, but it was. The deficit was trending down (I even quoted the figures in my post), and the CBO projected surpluses by 2012, running out to at least 2017, based on then-current data.

    So, indeed, laugh, but it's the laughter of willful ignorance and nothing more.
    Speaking of ignorance, let's examine that issue.

    Your claim: "all with the "warz" [...] intact".
    Your source, dated January 2007, claims: "The projection for discretionary spending implicitly assumes that no additional funding is provided for the war in Iraq in 2007" (PDF page 13). Further in the report it envisions much lower Iraq/Afghanistan troop levels by 2010 than were actually achieved (30,000, with as little as 75,000 being 'over budget'). (PDF page 89).

    Your claim: "all with the [...] tax cuts intact."
    Your source claims: "Revenues are projected to rise from 18.6 percent of GDP this year to almost 20 percent of GDP in 2012 and then remain near that historically high level through 2017. Much of that increase results from [the Bush tax cuts] which are scheduled to expire by December 31, 2010." (also PDF page 13).

    Clearly, both of your claims are contradicted by the source you present as proof of your claims. Around here we call that Epic Fail
    Last edited by Karl; 02-04-12 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added Iraq/Afghan troop projections

  8. #378
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Good Lord, do you understand that budget doesn't mean spending? Budgets are a guideline not actual dollars spent. Every dollar for the wars is included in the yearly deficits. You are right, they weren't part of the budget but they WERE PART OF THE DEFICIT.
    Wrong!! The deficit is the difference between the budget and the actual spent for those line items only. The debt is the summation of the deficit and all appropriations not in the budget. Bush never put the cost of the wars in his budget because it made his deficit look better than they actually where.


  9. #379
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Wrong!! The deficit is the difference between the budget and the actual spent for those line items only. The debt is the summation of the deficit and all appropriations not in the budget. Bush never put the cost of the wars in his budget because it made his deficit look better than they actually where.
    Wrong, the deficit is expenses minus revenues regardless of the budget. you don't seem to have a clue.

  10. #380
    Skeptical Optimist
    Rhapsody1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Seen
    09-20-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: US economy creates 243,000 jobs in January

    Here is an even more recent one for you Karl since you have such trouble with that 'Google' thing all the kids are talking about these days. Page 22

    http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...ssets/hist.pdf
    "There is an excellent correlation between giving society what it wants and making money, and almost no correlation between the desire to make money and how much money one makes." ~Dalio

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •