Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 400

Thread: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

  1. #301
    Educator Gary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    12-29-12 @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Only black folks talk like that. Is that another example of Leftist racism? Or Leftist ignorance of a culture they hate?
    No, it's another example of a right-winger making **** up to justify themselves. A southern accent doesn't have a damned thing to do about race. Now, that's twice a right-winger has mentioned racism about things that aren't racist. Next, you'll be telling me the right aren't ever guilty of racism, because they don't know what it is.

  2. #302
    Educator Gary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    12-29-12 @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    You made a broad personal attack about Southerners using the regional accent and then proceeded to call Southerns stupid.
    I find it ironic that, you use regional bigotry and prejudice, but then call another stupid.
    Find it ironic that I live in the South, too! I find it ironic you claim I said something and can't quote it to prove your point. Making up something that someone did is what a strawman argument is about. I've said the people in our whole country are stupid for not burying the Republican party in the Whig family plot.

    It's one thing to be suckered by the Republican party, but when you know for a fact that Republicans were the block behind passing the Civil Rights Act and then Nixon used a Southern Strategy to get your support, what does that say about the region? What does it say of a group of people, when Republicans appoint the Justices to the Supreme Court to make Roe v Wade the law and then use the issue to get themselves elected for the next 40 years?

    I don't have a problem living in the South throughout my life and pointing out how the South deals with politics is stupid.

  3. #303
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Maybe I'm confusing you with another poster but I didn't think the government choosing what is and is not "necessary" fit into your politics.
    You must be. Effective social support does not in my book mean providing means to go to strip clubs. Providing a 'hand up' is something we as a society should all be engaged in...but hand outs? When you have people that arent invested in themselves, then society has no obligation to support them. Not that difficult a concept.

  4. #304
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Find it ironic that I live in the South, too! I find it ironic you claim I said something and can't quote it to prove your point. Making up something that someone did is what a strawman argument is about. I've said the people in our whole country are stupid for not burying the Republican party in the Whig family plot.

    It's one thing to be suckered by the Republican party, but when you know for a fact that Republicans were the block behind passing the Civil Rights Act and then Nixon used a Southern Strategy to get your support, what does that say about the region? What does it say of a group of people, when Republicans appoint the Justices to the Supreme Court to make Roe v Wade the law and then use the issue to get themselves elected for the next 40 years?

    I don't have a problem living in the South throughout my life and pointing out how the South deals with politics is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    A Johnny comes lately still knows how to cook a poke chop and leave the r off of it. The stupidity of the South is a choice.
    So what's this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I've slept in GA too, and all the hick states along the east coast.
    And this?

    Do you make fun of the way other ethnic groups talk too, do you name call them as well?
    Hey dude, just because someone doesn't do things your way, doesn't make them bad people.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #305
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Are you saying there are no national records to support your claims, or that you can't find them.

    If what you say is true, it should be no trouble to find, right?
    You harp about a "living wage" I show you the effects of a living wage You run from this and demand a "National study on..."

    Easy enough. I wanted to see how many people would "thank you" so I could tally the number of people that don't mind hurting employment in America.

    Employment Results

    Using government data from January 1979 to December 2004, the effect of minimum wage increases on retail and small business employment is estimated. Specifically, a 10 percent increase in the minimum wage is associated with a 0.9 to 1.1 percent decline in retail employment and a 0.8 to 1.2 percent reduction in small business employment.

    These employment effects grow even larger for the low-skilled employees most affected by minimum wage increases. A 10 percent increase in the minimum wage is associated with a 2.7 to 4.3 percent decline in teen employment in the retail sector, a 5 percent decline in average retail hours worked by all teenagers, and a 2.8 percent decline in retail hours worked by teenagers who remain employed in retail jobs.

    These results increase in magnitude when focusing on the effect on small businesses. A 10 percent increase in the minimum wage is associated with a 4.6 to 9.0 percent decline in teenage employment in small businesses and a 4.8 to 8.8 percent reduction in hours worked by teens in the retail sector.


    =-=-=
    Conclusion

    These findings provide consistent evidence that minimum wage increases result in a significant decline in retail and small business employment. This finding is robust across several model specifications. Furthermore, these findings refute many of the claims raised in the FPI study so often cited in favor of minimum wage increases at the state and federal levels. The differences between these studies are likely a result of the more careful and appropriate methodological methods utilized in this study.
    The Effect of Minimum Wage Increases on Retail and Small Business Employment | EPI Study

    Asked for, delivered. Every hike in Minimum wage is followed by a drop in employment among those most in need of entry level positions. Your "desire" to see a living wage with little effort, like so many progressive ideas, has the upshot of making you feel good, and the downside of harming people.

    But their just people, what do you care?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  6. #306
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The hell I didn't! I am confident others can also see through the hypocrisy of your posts.
    I never said I had a problem with minimum wage workers getting state benefits.
    That's what you twisted it into, but I didn't say it.

    Your 1st quote and my answer shows I didn't have a problem with minimum wage and people using government programs.

    Your 2nd quote is based on a living wage, which doesn't address the straw man you attributed to me.

    Your 3rd quote is again about the living wage, which has nothing to do with minimum wage and people using state benefits.

    Lastly your 4th and 5th quotes, show that I don't have a problem with government programs for people in need.
    Are we reading the same forum or did you just pick a bunch of random quotes, thinking I wouldn't bother to read it?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #307
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    By going public with their plan of attack on medicare and SS benefits. They forgot seniors were the only demographic they carried in the last presidential election.

    We cannot afford SS and Medicare. Hate to break it to you son, but those programs eat up roughly 35-40% of the CURRENT budget that we have to borrow trillions to pay for. Add in welfare, foodstamps, and Medicaide and guess what? You breach 60% of the budget just on social programs ALONE

    Think about that for a moment. +60% of the budget is taking money from one group of people, and giving to others. But to do this, we have borrowed over 17 TRILLION Dollars. You can blather about military spending and wars till you turn blue in the face, the numbers however are not on your side as to the cause of our debt. Neither is the idiotic line of "The rich need to pay their fair share!"

    ALL Social Programs have become voter bribes, and we cannot afford them any more. But go on, keep pushing for them, spend more! Borrow more, economic calamity is that way, and you seem eager for it.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #308
    Educator Gary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    12-29-12 @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    So what's this?



    And this?

    Do you make fun of the way other ethnic groups talk too, do you name call them as well?
    Hey dude, just because someone doesn't do things your way, doesn't make them bad people.
    You said:

    Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla
    The South is a johnny come lately, largely because we were an agriculture region for so long.
    Even after the civil war it was like that.

    We've been industrializing a lot lately, that's mostly the reason for our new growth.
    And, I said:

    Originally Posted by Gary
    A Johnny comes lately still knows how to cook a poke chop and leave the r off of it. The stupidity of the South is a choice.
    The South is not an ethnic group and they definitely know how to cook a poke chop. I just cooked some for my son and grandchildren and they loved them. My son asked me what I put on them and I said salt and pepper. He's so used to marinating meat, he didn't even know what it tasted like. Now, I've got the kids calling them poke chops.

    Since I've lived my whole life in the South, I'm not offended by the way they speak. Haven't you ever been around people from Massachusetts, who remove an r when pronouncing a word that ends is one or add an r if it ends in a vowel, like arear for area. In my state we have whats called the what er wood er line for H2O.

    When you decide to get rid of your strawman argument and deal with some real issues, let me know!

    From what I've heard, the states like Texas and Georgia are giving businesses sweetheart deals to attract them.

  9. #309
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    You said:



    And, I said:



    The South is not an ethnic group and they definitely know how to cook a poke chop. I just cooked some for my son and grandchildren and they loved them. My son asked me what I put on them and I said salt and pepper. He's so used to marinating meat, he didn't even know what it tasted like. Now, I've got the kids calling them poke chops.

    Since I've lived my whole life in the South, I'm not offended by the way they speak. Haven't you ever been around people from Massachusetts, who remove an r when pronouncing a word that ends is one or add an r if it ends in a vowel, like arear for area. In my state we have whats called the what er wood er line for H2O.

    When you decide to get rid of your strawman argument and deal with some real issues, let me know!

    From what I've heard, the states like Texas and Georgia are giving businesses sweetheart deals to attract them.
    Maybe I overreacted and if your comments were not meant to be insulting, I do apologize.

    I disagree with the ethnic thing though.
    The South may indeed be a different ethnic group.
    It fits the definition pretty well.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #310
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Interesting links but they fail to support that this 'wealth disparity' or 'half the country in or near poverty’ suddenly showed up. Your link did provide an interesting note:

    The traditional view among economists is that combating inequality would hurt growth. Many argue that inequality is "if anything, favorable to -- or at least a necessary by-product of -- economic growth," as Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas researchers wrote in a 2008 paper on inequality.

    So I guess if you are promoting ‘combating inequality’ you are thusly suppressing growth.

Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •