Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 400

Thread: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    The American Spirit dies in a person the moment they start taking money from the Government to begin with, so that's a moot point in this discussion.
    People get layed off due to jobs going overseas, injury, etc. or they are not trained or it takes a period of time to get another job.

    If you are talking about those types of people where they have 3 generations on welfare that's a different story and I would agree with you.

    Just because an unfortunate thing happens to someone, doesn't necessary reflect bad on someone to get help from the government.

  2. #22
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Its called grand standing.

  3. #23
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    So a person on foodstamps doesn't deserve crawfish? You have no idea what this persons normal spending habits are and yet you condemn em for buying what might have been a "splurge" the same as yours.

    I absolutely hate this mentality that if someone is on foodstamps/welfare then they shouldn't be allowed ANYTHING but the most basics of basics.
    I think there's something inherently wrong with my boyfriend and I going to the grocery store and buying store-brand food, discounted meats (beef and chicken only, usually), and the cheapest toilet paper available and then standing in line behind a woman with two carts overflowing with brisket, name brand cereal, name brand ice cream, fresh lobster, etc and then paying with a food stamp card.

    I have absolutely no problem with providing food assistance to families living near poverty. Hell, I was on food stamps and WIC when I was a child (or rather, my mom had benefits and I lived with her...but whatever). But I have a serious issue with my having to pinch pennies and sacrifice on food because I work hard to pay bills and go to school while food stamp recipients eat the best cuts of meat and better tasting cereal. A WIC program would be better anyway, since most children in or near poverty are nutrition deficient due to poor eating habits. A program that requires the purchase of specific food items and limits access to junk and "empty" foods would serve the kids much better than a program that lets an obese woman and her 5 obese children waddle into 7-11 at 9pm on a school night to load up on candy bars, ice cream, and soda....which is something I saw happen quite often during my short tenure at 7-11.
    Last edited by tessaesque; 02-03-12 at 09:46 AM.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  4. #24
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    People get layed off due to jobs going overseas, injury, etc. or they are not trained or it takes a period of time to get another job.

    If you are talking about those types of people where they have 3 generations on welfare that's a different story and I would agree with you.

    Just because an unfortunate thing happens to someone, doesn't necessary reflect bad on someone to get help from the government.
    This, 100%. One of my coworkers is in the process of divorcing her husband and moved to Texas to be near her family. She brought two of her three children with her. Her paycheck pays for the rent and utilities and (mostly) keeps gas in the car, but she still struggles each month to buy food. She doesn't even want to apply for food stamps (which she qualifies for) but she's beginning to accept that it's necessary if she's going to be able to keep feeding two growing girls.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  5. #25
    Educator Gary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    12-29-12 @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I support this.But I think wiring housing assistance money to the land lords bank account and the bank account of utility providers would save money.And instead of giving out food stamp cards why not something similar to wic vouchers?

    House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
    The House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed a bill that prohibits welfare recipients from using their government subsidy in strip clubs, liquor stores and casinos.
    The measure easily received the necessary support of two-thirds of House members, with 395 voting in favor and only 27 opposing.
    Don't you conservatives ever have anything better to do than pandering to the stupidity of your base?

    In 2010, the United States spent $19.9 billion on TANF and $2.0 billion on social service block grants. That means they spent $21.9 billion in a $3.6 Trillion federal budget on welfare. Here's a 2010 link for all the programs, except Food Stamps (SNAP) that are called welfare, so post the figures and prove what is spent on welfare is such a big deal:

    http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/fas-10.pdf

    Here's a link for what is spent on SNAP:

    SNAP Monthly Data

    If you consider unemployment welfare, get it from the BLS! Post the maximum amounts someone can make for any welfare program, the eligibility requirements and how much they can receive!

    Do you really think those strip clubs are losing sleep over that bill? In the South, you can buy beer and wine in nearly any store, but in the North, you have to go to a liquor store to buy it. Since the South has more people receiving those social programs, how is that going to work out? How are you going to know the person is getting their money from the government and how could you know someone buying something in a liquor store is using their own money and buying it for themselves?

    This is just meaningless gotcha legislation by a majority party in Congress, with nothing better to do as it's people suffer, because of their own stupid legislation in the past.

    Take heed America and vote every Republican out of office!
    Last edited by Gary; 02-03-12 at 10:02 AM.

  6. #26
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Don't you conservatives ever have anything better to do than pandering to the stupidity of your base?

    In 2010, the United States spent $19.9 billion on TANF and $2.0 billion on social service block grants. That means they spent $21.9 billion in a $3.6 Trillion federal budget on welfare. Here's a 2010 link for all the programs, except Food Stamps (SNAP) that are called welfare, so post the figures and prove what is spent on welfare is such a big deal:

    http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/fas-10.pdf

    Here's a link for what is spent on SNAP:

    SNAP Monthly Data

    If you consider unemployment welfare, get it from the BLS! Post the maximum amounts someone can make for any welfare program and how much they can receive!

    Do you really think those strip clubs are losing sleep over that bill? In the South, you can buy beer and wine in nearly any store, but in the North, you have to go to a liquor store to buy it. Since the South has more people receiving those social programs, how is that going to work out? How are you going to know the person is getting their money from the government and how could you know someone buying something in a liquor store is using their own money and buying it for themselves?

    This is just meaningless gotcha legislation by a majority party in Congress, with nothing better to do as it's people suffer, because of their own stupid legislation in the past.

    Take heed America and vote every Republican out of office!
    Your numbers are misleading. Yes, "welfare" is a small portion of the federal budget. Entitlements over all, however? MASSIVE expenditure:

    12fig03.jpg

    Any cost cutting/fraud reduction measures or checks on the system should be praise. And your silly little comment about voting Republicans out? This vote passed with two thirds majority in the house. That means the dems were in on it to. Why to make this some sort of idiotic partisan nonsense when it wasn't.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  7. #27
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,441

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Don't you conservatives ever have anything better to do than pandering to the stupidity of your base?
    Air America, MediaMatters, DailyKos, Puffington...

  8. #28
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Call me crazy, but for some reason I seriously doubt that people on welfare would have the time to go to strip clubs or liquor stores. In addition to this, what strip club or liquor store do you know is going to accept a welfare card? Or for that matter, what person on welfare would go to a strip club?
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  9. #29
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I think there's something inherently wrong with my boyfriend and I going to the grocery store and buying store-brand food, discounted meats (beef and chicken only, usually), and the cheapest toilet paper available and then standing in line behind a woman with two carts overflowing with brisket, name brand cereal, name brand ice cream, fresh lobster, etc and then paying with a food stamp card.

    I have absolutely no problem with providing food assistance to families living near poverty. Hell, I was on food stamps and WIC when I was a child (or rather, my mom had benefits and I lived with her...but whatever). But I have a serious issue with my having to pinch pennies and sacrifice on food because I work hard to pay bills and go to school while food stamp recipients eat the best cuts of meat and better tasting cereal. A WIC program would be better anyway, since most children in or near poverty are nutrition deficient due to poor eating habits. A program that requires the purchase of specific food items and limits access to junk and "empty" foods would serve the kids much better than a program that lets an obese woman and her 5 obese children waddle into 7-11 at 9pm on a school night to load up on candy bars, ice cream, and soda....which is something I saw happen quite often during my short tenure at 7-11.

    I only disagree with you in the sense that I think that people go too far when they immediately assume that just because they saw poor people do something a couple times, they assume all poor people are like that. However, I am 100% on your side when arguing that poor people should buy healthy foods, especially for the children.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  10. #30
    Educator Gary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    12-29-12 @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: House bans welfare recipients' money from strip clubs, liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Your numbers are misleading. Yes, "welfare" is a small portion of the federal budget. Entitlements over all, however? MASSIVE expenditure:

    12fig03.jpg

    Any cost cutting/fraud reduction measures or checks on the system should be praise. And your silly little comment about voting Republicans out? This vote passed with two thirds majority in the house. That means the dems were in on it to. Why to make this some sort of idiotic partisan nonsense when it wasn't.
    How is legislation about strip clubs going to cut costs? Why didn't you address the point I made that in the conservative South, you don't go into a liquor store to buy beer and wine? Does the legislation stop the purchase of beer and wine in a grocery store?

    If dumbasses didn't approve of our present health care system that allows leeches to suck the blood money out of it, those entitlements, like Medicare wouldn't be very large, because the price of health care wouldn't be twice what it should be.

    Why are they called entitlements? Didn't people have payroll taxes taken out of their paychecks to fund those entitlements? Why is it that Republicans are always trying to get their greedy hands on every dime they can steal? They do it with union pensions and funds put away for health care by borrowing the money and then going bankrupt. It's always something to live up to the Republican motto: If you can't steal, lie.

    The economy and jobs creation suck and all those Republican idiots can think of is cut spending. They need to get buried with the Whig party, where they came from.

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •