Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 112

Thread: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

  1. #71
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Be civil
    Your comment was extremely uncivil to people with autism, and children, and parent.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    04-17-14 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    721

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by FinnMacCool View Post
    I don't think it's anybody's fault. The cops did what they had to do, but the kid was suffering from a mental illness. There is no need to place any blame. It's just a terrible tragedy.
    Aspergers is not a mental illness, nor are autism spectrum disorders!

  3. #73
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    The way this child and his situation seemed to be escalating I am surprised this didn't turn out worse. As many times as the cops had been there, and some of the information about those incidents, as well as this incident gives some sight into this kid's mental state. He was dangerous. His family should have gotten him more help. This kid was very unstable. In a school or public environment, if he had one of these episodes (or whatever you want to call it) it could have been a disaster. The OP asked who was to blame, I think the parents were to blame. That child, in his state, should not have in a position to put himself into that type of position.

  4. #74
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Your comment was extremely uncivil to people with autism, and children, and parent.
    If someone ever trys to taunt you into a knife fight, do something (like pull your gun), but dont fight him heads up with a knife. It's not a good death, and if he is a knife fighter, you will probably be the one dying (for sure). Not trying to be depressing, just speaking the truth. Don't **** with knife fighting. Turn it into a gunfight. **** the legal bull****. At least live. Deal with all that other **** later.

    I would NOT send my pitbulls on a fool armed with a knife; I'll send bullets.

    Nobody hurts my dog. Nobody

    How's that for civility

  5. #75
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    If someone ever trys to taunt you into a knife fight, do something (like pull your gun), but dont fight him heads up with a knife. It's not a good death, and if he is a knife fighter, you will probably be the one dying (for sure). Not trying to be depressing, just speaking the truth. Don't **** with knife fighting. Turn it into a gunfight. **** the legal bull****. At least live. Deal with all that other **** later.

    I would NOT send my pitbulls on a fool armed with a knife; I'll send bullets.

    Nobody hurts my dog. Nobody

    How's that for civility
    Now you're being uncivil and irrational.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  6. #76
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by FinnMacCool View Post
    I don't think it's anybody's fault. The cops did what they had to do, but the kid was suffering from a mental illness. There is no need to place any blame. It's just a terrible tragedy.
    oh boy, i don't know. in close quarters, couldn't they have shot him elsewhere on his body?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  7. #77
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    The way this child and his situation seemed to be escalating I am surprised this didn't turn out worse. As many times as the cops had been there, and some of the information about those incidents, as well as this incident gives some sight into this kid's mental state. He was dangerous. His family should have gotten him more help. This kid was very unstable. In a school or public environment, if he had one of these episodes (or whatever you want to call it) it could have been a disaster. The OP asked who was to blame, I think the parents were to blame. That child, in his state, should not have in a position to put himself into that type of position.
    you do not know what help the family sought or was receiving.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  8. #78
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Very tragic:

    seems to me the medical and health profession field is at fault for this problems - I know nothing of their background as a family. But medical professionals offer little in the means of help for parents trying to raise violent autistic children and most medical insurance providers don't cover enough to give support.

    Since autism is on the rise - the government and medical fields need to work together ot give a more firm foundation of support for the parents and enable better care and understanding.
    it seems there was probably something else wrong besides aspergers., which doesn't typically cause violent behavior, at least i don't think it does.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  9. #79
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    oh boy, i don't know. in close quarters, couldn't they have shot him elsewhere on his body?
    without being in the situation where a crazed person is violently swinging a knife at you it would be impossible to say. Police go into those situations with the best intentions (most of the time). We entrust them to make those decisions. A life or death situation when a man's life is in danger and he has a split second to make his decision. The police are there to protect. Themselves, his family and the community as a whole.

  10. #80
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    oh boy, i don't know. in close quarters, couldn't they have shot him elsewhere on his body?



    It has been determined that it is not feasible to "shoot to wound", as in the old cowboy shoot-im-in-the-shoulder trick, in almost any circumstances. It is virtually a universal principle in US law enforcement, and US jurisprudence, that shooting is always lethal force and that shooting to wound is both legally indefensible and tactically unsound. Shooting is reserved for lethal force situations, and the standard in the US is "shoot to stop the threat" which typically means shooting at the center chest.

    Before someone brings it up, it is also standard proceedure to shoot and keep on shooting until the threat is obviously ended or the target is clearly disabled. The one-shot "stop" is more myth than reality, unless you get lucky.

    Close quarters situations actually make marksmanship MORE difficult, not less.... the angles change quickly, everything happens very fast, and you have to consider that you or your weapon could be grabbed by the perp.


    Most departments SOP is that if a knife-armed suspect is within 25' of police and moving forward with apparent aggression, he is to be shot.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •