Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 112

Thread: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    I was talking about keeping the knives under lock before he could get his hands on them in the first place after that last 2 times. And when they couldn't control him, they should know that their son is probably not safe at home if for no other reason than that he could harm himself.
    He wasn't using a knife when he beat his mother.

  2. #52
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    The tragedy is that people are thinking his "aspergers" made it wrong to cap his dumbass. You know what aspergers REALLY is? A condition of social awkwardness. My ex had my son diagnosed with that from a 15 min visit to a shrink who then promptly put him on pills.

    We used to call those kids shy, now it's a "problem" with pills to solve.
    Aspergers isn't cured with a single pill . . . it's not 'shyness' - it's an actual physical and cognitive condition and some of it's symptoms are 'shyness' - but those aren't the main factors or notable symptoms.

    Obviously - your son didn't actually have aspergers.

    so that brings up the point that all too often kids are diagnosed with something when they don't have it. Like ADD, ADHD, etc . . . sometimes we've seen that familial structure and diet are major issues - and they don't actually have ADD if a bit of understanding from mumsie resolves the problems.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 02-02-12 at 09:55 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #53
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    Personally? Given the number of instances in which the police were called to the house, and given the severity of the teen's behavior during those instances, there is a complete, systemic failure at play here. The police and parents should have been working together with state/mental health officials to have the teen temporarily institutionalized until such time as therapy and medication led to changes in behavior that lessened the likelihood of the teen being a threat to his family or the community. It is very, very obvious that the teen had displayed aggressive, threatening behavior for quite some time leading up to this scenario. Intervention should have occurred a very long time ago. There is absolutely no excuse for that intervention not taking place before this situation arose.

    The parents obviously could not control the child. If they were able to, they would not have called the police so often. The police were obviously at a loss regarding the best approach with this child. Neither side was capable of facilitating the needed interaction with this boy to counter the aggressive behaviors.

    If blame is to be placed, both entities failed. And, assuming either side at any point in time sought help from state/private facilities and those facilities did not respond or put a plan into motion I'd blame them partially as well...though it would be the responsibility of the parent to maintain pressure to get help for their child.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  4. #54
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Personally? Given the number of instances in which the police were called to the house, and given the severity of the teen's behavior during those instances, there is a complete, systemic failure at play here. The police and parents should have been working together with state/mental health officials to have the teen temporarily institutionalized until such time as therapy and medication led to changes in behavior that lessened the likelihood of the teen being a threat to his family or the community. It is very, very obvious that the teen had displayed aggressive, threatening behavior for quite some time leading up to this scenario. Intervention should have occurred a very long time ago. There is absolutely no excuse for that intervention not taking place before this situation arose.

    The parents obviously could not control the child. If they were able to, they would not have called the police so often. The police were obviously at a loss regarding the best approach with this child. Neither side was capable of facilitating the needed interaction with this boy to counter the aggressive behaviors.

    If blame is to be placed, both entities failed. And, assuming either side at any point in time sought help from state/private facilities and those facilities did not respond or put a plan into motion I'd blame them partially as well...though it would be the responsibility of the parent to maintain pressure to get help for their child.

    Are you suggesting the police should have known this would have happened?

  5. #55
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    Are you suggesting the police should have known this would have happened?
    I am suggesting after being called to the house multiple times because the child was aggressive and threatening that somebody should have called in social services or acted as a witness for a psychological evaluation process that might have prevented actions like this. If the police department understood the threat well enough to send five officers to subdue the boy then they should have well known that the child was out of control and in need of further help...and so, too, should the parents.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  6. #56
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I am suggesting after being called to the house multiple times because the child was aggressive and threatening that somebody should have called in social services or acted as a witness for a psychological evaluation process that might have prevented actions like this. If the police department understood the threat well enough to send five officers to subdue the boy then they should have well known that the child was out of control and in need of further help...and so, too, should the parents.

    This is what I gathered from another report.......This addresses your statement and this was the way the authorities other than the police were to handle this matter. Blaming the police is inappropriate in this situation.
    Officials say they have been called to the Watts home 12 times since June 2010. The Watts family said doctors and social workers told them the only way to get Stephon hospitalized when he was violent was to call police first.
    Calumet City teen shot, killed by police in his home | abc7chicago.com
    Last edited by Connery; 02-02-12 at 10:28 AM.

  7. #57
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I am suggesting after being called to the house multiple times because the child was aggressive and threatening that somebody should have called in social services or acted as a witness for a psychological evaluation process that might have prevented actions like this. If the police department understood the threat well enough to send five officers to subdue the boy then they should have well known that the child was out of control and in need of further help...and so, too, should the parents.
    That *child* made the decision as to what he wanted to do that day. Don't blame the cops. Blame the *child*.

    Cops are sworn protect your ass, not kiss it.

    Lessons Learned:

    1. Listen to what a police officer tells you to do, when he tells you to do it.

    2. Don't swing sharp objects like knives that can cut a police officer if struck by it.

  8. #58
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    He wasn't using a knife when he beat his mother.
    Which was not the accident that led to him being killed which led to this story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Free_Radical View Post

    And I wasn't making an appeal to authority, I was making an appeal to the philosophical body of work of the founders, the worth and content of which should be well-known to anyone with a cursory understanding of basic history and philosophy.

    Brian

  9. #59
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    That *child* made the decision as to what he wanted to do that day. Don't blame the cops. Blame the *child*.

    Cops are sworn protect your ass, not kiss it.

    Lessons Learned:

    1. Listen to what a police officer tells you to do, when he tells you to do it.

    2. Don't swing sharp objects like knives that can cut a police officer if struck by it.
    That argument displays a profound ignorance in regards to Aspergers/Autism Spectrum Disorder.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  10. #60
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,614

    Re: Family: Boy, 15, shot to death after attacking police had autism disorder

    Have also a case in Sweden in my hometown their the person was killed. In Sweden the procedures is to wait the person out and call in a psychologist. In the case in the hometown they instead confronted him and yelled at him for 15 minutes then he launched at them with a knife and he got killed. That I think was totally unnessicary because everyone had gotten out of the house and the exist was covered. So why not just wait him out.

    That I understand the need for safety of the officers and the public. But in cases like this, why not wait the person out. If everyone have gotten out and the building can be surounded and guarded. Also why not try to get a psychologist to try to talk the person, if it possible in a safeway. That even in hostage situation it can be a good idea to wait the person out.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •