Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Obama campaign rolls out Square mobile fundraising platform

  1. #21
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama campaign rolls out Square mobile fundraising platform

    *Sigh* first off, let's get a few things straight here.

    1. I am not screaming about this, I am asking if there are problems that someone can see arising.

    2. I question if some that have replied can read, or actually know what the hell a straw argument even is, I wonder.

    3. The point is simple. These readers are of (according to the story) the plug and play type, which means that anyone with a smart phone can be given one and sent out to collect. The information passes through their phone, and though I am no tech wiz, I wonder if there is a way to store the information and retrieve it later?

    See, when you make a donation with your cc on a computer, it goes through something like PayPal or something similar...This seems to be giving readers, which have been associated lately with Identity theft, and fraud to people that haven't been necessarily checked thoroughly.

    Now, can we have a discussion of this? Or is it just another case of people defending anything Obama even if they have to blow up the thread?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #22
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,049

    Re: Obama campaign rolls out Square mobile fundraising platform

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Why don't you just knock it off? You started with an attack against me, and after that, I tend to move on because you are not the only lib replying. So try discussion rather than attempting to be more crafty than you are, and all will be fine.



    So let me get the premise of your question straight, K? So, if I, personally, don't know all there is to know about this cc swiper, and, or who handles donations to the Obama campaign, then I am to keep quiet and not ask questions...Is that where you are coming from?

    j-mac
    You started a thread about how this could turn into voter fraud, identity theft and all other kinds of crap without any knowledge of how it would even happen or could happen.


    You weren't interested in asking if the swiper could give people information, you went straight for the fear mongering message. This is easily demonstrated by the simple fact that you think using credit card swipers would increase non-citizens giving donations, when in reality that would be much easier through plain old cash since it doesn't leave a paper trail. That's why you never see the mafia guys on the tv swipe their credit card when they're buying illegal guns or paying off cops.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  3. #23
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama campaign rolls out Square mobile fundraising platform

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    You started a thread about how this could turn into voter fraud, identity theft and all other kinds of crap without any knowledge of how it would even happen or could happen.
    Funny, I didn't mention voter fraud. But, in thinking about it, I guess it could eh?

    You weren't interested in asking if the swiper could give people information, you went straight for the fear mongering message.
    And what the heck did you think I was talking about if not the swiper? Gheeze o petes! I think that sometimes we look for imaginary arguments that really are not there.

    This is easily demonstrated by the simple fact that you think using credit card swipers would increase non-citizens giving donations, when in reality that would be much easier through plain old cash since it doesn't leave a paper trail.
    Last I knew, debt cards hold the VISA logo, and swipe just like a cc. However, you do still have a paper trail, but that isn't a problem when you consider that small donations like this are rarely, if ever scrutinized. Heck, Obama refused to give over the small donations list in his first run.

    That's why you never see the mafia guys on the tv swipe their credit card when they're buying illegal guns or paying off cops.
    Television drama's? That is what you think is a true representation of real life? Really?

    Look, it goes beyond the myriad of problems that can arise campaign wise, into theft.

    Wireless identity theft is a relatively new technique of gathering an individual's personal information from RF-enabled cards carried on a person in their access control, credit, debit, or government issued identification cards.[6] Each of these cards carry a Radio frequency identification chip which responds to certain radio frequencies. When these "tags" come into contact with radio waves, they respond with a slightly altered signal. The response can contain encoded personal identifying information, including the card holder's name, address, Social Security Number, phone number, and pertinent account or employee information.

    Upon capturing (or 'harvesting') this data, the thief is then able to program their own cards to respond in an identical fashion (via 'cloning'). Many sites are dedicated to nothing but teaching people how to perform this act, as well as supplying the necessary equipment and software.

    Wireless identity theft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    And this...



    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #24
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Obama campaign rolls out Square mobile fundraising platform

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I can only share what the story said.
    Ok...
    This is what the story said:
    The Obama reelection campaign is providing headquarters staff, field organizers and volunteers the ability to take campaign donations with their mobile phones.

    Campaign personnel are being issued Square mobile credit card readers, allowing them to process donations with their iPhone or Android phones, a campaign official tells POLITICO. The rollout will happen nationwide, and involve staff at all levels.

    The technology is a boon for canvassers and other field staff potentially saving the campaign hundreds of hours of time processing donations, and giving field staff enormous flexibility. Moreover, it's another good example of the power of mobile technology to streamline and automate otherwise mundane but nevertheless important campaign tasks.

    Square has been used by a handful of local political campaigns, but the Obama campaign's adoption is the first national political adoption of the technology.

    How I come to that conclusion are questions I have about this practice.
    Ok..
    You did not ask questions you made accusations saying this: "Identity theft, Illegal donations, plus groups you may not want with your personal information now getting it"

    Can you provide how in the hell you would even know if the people giving the donations via this method are legal citizens?
    No.
    Can you prove that they are illegal?
    But we have laws against non US citizens donating to campaigns...


  5. #25
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama campaign rolls out Square mobile fundraising platform

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Ok..
    You did not ask questions you made accusations saying this: "Identity theft, Illegal donations, plus groups you may not want with your personal information now getting it"
    Where's the supposed accusation? What I said to me sounds more like possible potential problems.

    No.
    Can you prove that they are illegal?
    But we have laws against non US citizens donating to campaigns...
    See, that's the thing, since you already admit that we have laws against non citizens donating to a presidential campaign, and you can not verify if that would happen with these swipers, nor can you assure that ID theft wouldn't occur, nor can you say that it is 100% totally safe for those dupes that want to give money to Obama, and find out later that their credit score is now 350 because they have been paying for everything under the sun for some other activist that just figured it was too damned tempting...Then I'll be sitting here saying thank GOD I am a conservative.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #26
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,290
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama campaign rolls out Square mobile fundraising platform

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What? do you libs have a 'blow it out of proportion' gene or something?


    j-mac

    SAYS THE GUY WHO JUST BLEW THIS ENTIRE STORY OUT OF PROPORTION


  7. #27
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Obama campaign rolls out Square mobile fundraising platform

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Where's the supposed accusation? What I said to me sounds more like possible potential problems.
    "Identity theft, Illegal donations, plus groups you may not want with your personal information now getting it."



    See, that's the thing, since you already admit that we have laws against non citizens donating to a presidential campaign, and you can not verify if that would happen with these swipers, nor can you assure that ID theft wouldn't occur, nor can you say that it is 100% totally safe for those dupes that want to give money to Obama, and find out later that their credit score is now 350 because they have been paying for everything under the sun for some other activist that just figured it was too damned tempting...Then I'll be sitting here saying thank GOD I am a conservative.
    Can you prove that this is going to lead to this?
    How are you going to say that because the Obama campaign is letting organizers to take campaign donations using their mobile phones that ID theft will occur?
    What is your reasoning behind this?
    A bunch of "what ifs"?
    Sounds like to me that Obama is just using technology to his advantage at a reasonable way. Sounds like to me that you are blowing this out of proportion and trying to make a issue out of this where there is no issue here.


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •