Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 164

Thread: Ranger zaps off-leash dog walker with shock weapon

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Ranger zaps off-leash dog walker with shock weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    No it's not, if the cop wants to stop me, they better have a damn good reason too. And why are you assuming the person who got tazzed was being an ass? You've got no evidence to make that claim. And from the article, the officer had no reason to detain him other than he was walking, and that's not a reason.
    He failed to comply with a Lawful and Direct Order. So far as I'm concerned that's sufficient reason to SHOOT him, nevermind taze him.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Ranger zaps off-leash dog walker with shock weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    You taser someone when they are being violent or resisting arrest. You don't taser them as a matter of compliance.
    I totally disagree. Tasering him was probably a better move than using a steel baton on his knees to ensure he didn't walk away, wouldn't you say?


    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In America, one does not have the right to walk around without your papers.
    Nor should you have. A former roommate of mine got picked up by the police for failing to have any ID on him. Of course he was being stupid at the time, but they were set to let him walk away with a warning until he didn't have any ID on him.


    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    There may be more to this story but there is never a scenario where someone should be detained for improperly walking their dogs.
    100% disagree. DON'T DO THE CRIME IF YOU CAN'T DO THE TIME.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Ranger zaps off-leash dog walker with shock weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    When a LEO tells you to "Jump" you ask "How High?" ON THE WAY UP. If you choose not to, I have absolutely no sympathy for anything that happens to you. When you give that LEO a false name, address, etc.... you get even LESS sympathy from me. Hell, in her place I'd probably have SHOT the SOB rather than tasering him.
    Wow you would make a good slave. Good to know.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Ranger zaps off-leash dog walker with shock weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Wow you would make a good slave. Good to know.
    I was taught respect for authority, regardless. You do what you're told by the cop and adjudicate it later if necessary. We would all be a lot better off if more people had been taught proper respect for authority figures.

  5. #65
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Ranger zaps off-leash dog walker with shock weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You're out of the conversation because you're defending the ranger merely because she's a woman. You have zero credibility. I have just lost a ton of respect for you.
    Good to hear, American. If you want to chime in on a thread, try to make it relevant. It's a lot more fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    THERE WAS NO LAWFUL ORDER.

    A “lawful order” would have included some rational attempt at an explanation as to why the subject was being detained, and why he should comply.

    An officer of the law does not have the authority to just stop and harass anyone at random with no cause.
    He was breaking a leash law. Big whoop! But he refused to give his name and, apparently, walked away. Would you have the same gut reaction if he was found to be wanted on a warrant for murder, as an example?

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Deciding whether or not to escalate the situation is always a choice.
    This should get a few dozen "Likes." Yes, I totally agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    If the suspect in question is not a threat then the best course would be continued surveillance and a radio call for back-up - especially if you haven't dotted all your I's and crossed all your T's. In this case simply telling him why he was being detained may have solved the problem, though.
    Completely agree.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Ranger zaps off-leash dog walker with shock weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I was taught respect for authority, regardless. You do what you're told by the cop and adjudicate it later if necessary. We would all be a lot better off if more people had been taught proper respect for authority figures.
    Good to know, unlike you I am not a dog though that obeys at the sound of a whistle. Again, glad you are.

    EDIT: Respect is a two way street. If an officer is respectful towards me and when I ask "why am I being detained" and they give me the answer, then I will respect the office.

    If however, in this instance, the officer repeatedly (allegedly) did not let the man know why he is being detained, the officer showed no respect so no respect should have been given to the officer.
    Last edited by TheNextEra; 02-01-12 at 11:29 AM.

  7. #67
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 09:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: Ranger zaps off-leash dog walker with shock weapon

    I'm the first to criticize officers who abuse or misuse their authority, but I'm just not seeing it in this incident. The guy was walking his dogs off leash which is against the law. The ranger approached him about that violation. I'm guessing she asked his name and was intending on giving him a citation. To which he responded with what was probably an obviously false name and tried to walk away. The ranger told him to stop, he refused and she tazed him. The reason he was being detained is obvious he broke the law twice - walking his dogs off leash and then giving a false name. And then a third time when he tried to leave.

    We have laws and those laws must be enforced. Notice how the word force is in there, all laws are ultimately backed up by the threat of force. People here are saying it was wrong to taze him just for walking his dogs off leash, and if it went down like "Hey you're walking your dogs off leash, you can't do that anymore. Now eat tazer, bitch!" then I would agree. But he chose to escalate what was probably essentially a parking ticket into something much more serious. He didn't get tazed for walking dogs off leash. That was just the inciting incident for this little scene. He gave an officer a false name and then tried to leave. Was she supposed to say screw it, and let him walk away? And as for wrestling him to the ground, that's far more likely to injury the officer or the perp. How many of you would be calling for blood if she inadvertantly broke his arm in the scuffle? Tazers are a safer way for both the officer and the subject to subdue a subject who refuses to comply. They hurt like hell, but they rarely do any lasting damage.
    Last edited by Psychoclown; 02-01-12 at 11:59 AM.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Ranger zaps off-leash dog walker with shock weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Good to know, unlike you I am not a dog though that obeys at the sound of a whistle. Again, glad you are.
    Then you are part of the BIGGEST PROBLEM with this society, so far as I'm concerned.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Respect is a two way street. If an officer is respectful towards me and when I ask "why am I being detained" and they give me the answer, then I will respect the office.

    If however, in this instance, the officer repeatedly (allegedly) did not let the man know why he is being detained, the officer showed no respect so no respect should have been given to the officer.
    You respect the badge/office. You may not respect the individual officer. You may not even like the officer. However, you damn well ought to be respecting the badge and the office. As I said, you do what you're told, and file the complaint afterwards if necessary. Otherwise, you get exactly what you deserve so far as I'm concerned. Whether it's a smack in the head, a shock, or two rounds in the chest.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Ranger zaps off-leash dog walker with shock weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Then you are part of the BIGGEST PROBLEM with this society, so far as I'm concerned.
    Aww I thought it was those gays you dislike that are part of the BIGGEST PROBLEM with this society. Well if you think I'm wrong, I guess I'm actually right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    You respect the badge/office. You may not respect the individual officer. You may not even like the officer. However, you damn well ought to be respecting the badge and the office. As I said, you do what you're told, and file the complaint afterwards if necessary. Otherwise, you get exactly what you deserve so far as I'm concerned. Whether it's a smack in the head, a shock, or two rounds in the chest.
    And in this case, the ranger will most likely get reprimanded or fired while the guy is able to successfuly sue and win.

    Bottom line, if you want respect you damn well better give it. Don't like it, tough.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Ranger zaps off-leash dog walker with shock weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Aww I thought it was those gays you dislike that are part of the BIGGEST PROBLEM with this society. Well if you think I'm wrong, I guess I'm actually right.
    No. They're not the biggest problem. People like you are.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    And in this case, the ranger will most likely get reprimanded or fired while the guy is able to successfuly sue and win.

    Bottom line, if you want respect you damn well better give it. Don't like it, tough.
    Then maybe the next Ranger will do the smart thing and just cap the guy instead of Tasering him. Dead men file no lawsuits and their relatives have a hard time proving exactly what happened if they weren't there at the time.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •