Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 136

Thread: Oakland police arresting about 100 protesters

  1. #41
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: Oakland police arresting about 100 protesters

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Of course it does. It makes you a hypocrite.
    Two wrongs do not make a right.



    You clearly know nothing about anarchism.
    Oh great not only are Communists the only ones granted the knowledge of their ideology, Anarchist are just as special.

    In other words I haven't drunk the Kool-Aid so I couldnt possibly have a clue.



    They don't need to cause one. The US is already a police state.
    Police state
    [From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]
    A police state is one in which the government exercises rigid and repressive controls over the social, economic and political life of the population. A police state typically exhibits elements of totalitarianism and social control, and there is usually little or no distinction between the law and the exercise of political power by the executive.
    The inhabitants of a police state experience restrictions on their mobility, and on their freedom to express or communicate political or other views, which are subject to police monitoring or enforcement. Political control may be exerted by means of a secret police force which operates outside the boundaries normally imposed by a constitutional state.[3]


    I guess then you are insisting that we should all revolt? Are you revolting ?

  2. #42
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,879

    Re: Oakland police arresting about 100 protesters

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon
    These morons claim to represent 99% of us? I don't think so.
    I dont' think black bloc anarchists consider themselves as representatives of the 99%...

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll
    Two wrongs do not make a right.
    This doesn't make any sense.

    Oh great not only are Communists the only ones granted the knowledge of their ideology, Anarchist are just as special.
    No, you just really actually have no idea what you're talking about.

    Police state
    [From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]
    A police state is one in which the government exercises rigid and repressive controls over the social, economic and political life of the population. A police state typically exhibits elements of totalitarianism and social control, and there is usually little or no distinction between the law and the exercise of political power by the executive.
    The inhabitants of a police state experience restrictions on their mobility, and on their freedom to express or communicate political or other views, which are subject to police monitoring or enforcement. Political control may be exerted by means of a secret police force which operates outside the boundaries normally imposed by a constitutional state.[3]
    Not sure why you quoted this.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  3. #43
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: Oakland police arresting about 100 protesters

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    I dont' think black bloc anarchists consider themselves as representatives of the 99%...
    You do know what solidarity means right? All of the occupy groups are in solidarity with Oakland's Black Blocs. And wasnt it the occupy movement that said that they ere the 99%? Sorry but that is the reality and its provable if you want me to rub it in.



    This doesn't make any sense.
    Why am I not surprised that this makes no sense to you? If someone (anyone) does something wrong, it does not give someone else the right to do the same thing wrong to someone else. Come on its basic ethics.


    No, you just really actually have no idea what you're talking about.
    Well of course you are trying to discredit me sense I am showing that your ideology sucks.



    Not sure why you quoted this.
    To contrast your claim with reality. You claimed that we live in a police state. I can easily disprove your claim by typing here in this forum. I can disprove your claim by hoping in a car and going for a drive across state lines. I can also disprove your claim by standing on a street corner holding a sign. Or I could just point to the millions of people that do these things everyday. In fact the biggest proof is that the occupy movement has enjoyed widespread media coverage. And even more the government has allowed the protests to continue even letting the protesters break laws that they have a history of not allowing to be broken. Which has forced the protesters to push hard to get the reactions from the police and government that they were seeking. Thats why the occupiers are supporting the black bloc tactic when before they denounced it mostly. In case you didnt know the black blocs are not really a group per se. It is a tactic.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,879

    Re: Oakland police arresting about 100 protesters

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll
    Why am I not surprised that this makes no sense to you? If someone (anyone) does something wrong, it does not give someone else the right to do the same thing wrong to someone else. Come on its basic ethics.
    Except it makes no sense because your comments fall on the side of the cops which is what makes you a hypocrite.

    To contrast your claim with reality. You claimed that we live in a police state. I can easily disprove your claim by typing here in this forum.
    All states allow speech to a certain extent. This means nothing.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  5. #45
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Oakland police arresting about 100 protesters

    Quote Originally Posted by marbro View Post
    First I want to say hi! I am new to Debate Politics but not new to political forums. I am glad to be here and contribute to the discussions.

    This article is about the OWS which I am not a fan of but found that the clash between the police and protesters have stepped up. I noticed the protesters are far bolder than before with throwing rocks and items and making shields. Makes me wonder how far it will eventually go.
    Welcome to the Forum! I would guess it depends a lot on how the policies change that have so negatively affected the working class over the last 30 years.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Oakland police arresting about 100 protesters

    Even Oakland has had it with these fools.

  7. #47
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,290

    Re: Oakland police arresting about 100 protesters

    I'm on the side of the OWS protesters, but I do feel like they went overboard in Oakland. They knew that was a reactionary police force and probably wanted to create a Media event. Nevertheless, the OWS influence on the US body politic is undeniable and that is a positive influence, therefore I can give them a little slack. I read that they arrested 400 protesters. That makes 23,000,400 prisoners in the USA. That would be the highest number per capita in the world. Those dope smokers and protesters are a real threat to world peace and National stability. The protests are against the overriding influence of the 1%, saying we don't want our Nation or World run at the whims of the 1%. By the 1%, for the 1%, and screw the 99%. It's time for business that creates jobs and labor profits instead of business that moves paper and creates paper profits. It ain't rocket science, ya think?

  8. #48
    Professor
    FinnMacCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Shore of Long Island.
    Last Seen
    03-12-15 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,272

    Re: Oakland police arresting about 100 protesters

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I'm on the side of the OWS protesters, but I do feel like they went overboard in Oakland. They knew that was a reactionary police force and probably wanted to create a Media event. Nevertheless, the OWS influence on the US body politic is undeniable and that is a positive influence, therefore I can give them a little slack. I read that they arrested 400 protesters. That makes 23,000,400 prisoners in the USA. That would be the highest number per capita in the world. Those dope smokers and protesters are a real threat to world peace and National stability. The protests are against the overriding influence of the 1%, saying we don't want our Nation or World run at the whims of the 1%. By the 1%, for the 1%, and screw the 99%. It's time for business that creates jobs and labor profits instead of business that moves paper and creates paper profits. It ain't rocket science, ya think?
    Most of those arrested were released without charge because the cops couldn't prove they did anything wrong.

    It's ridiculous because the OPD does the exact same thing that the cops did back in the 60's they declare an illegal assembly and order the crowd to disperse but then they kettle the protesters in and don't allow them to leave. That, in my opinion, is just asking for violence. It's easy to blame the protesters, but I think the mayor of Oakland and the OPD need to take a good hard look in the mirror before passing judgement on them.
    "Idealists foolish enough to throw caution to the winds have advanced mankind and have enriched the world.

    "The political arena leaves one no alternative, one must either be a dunce or a rogue. "

    "The motto should not be: Forgive one another; rather understand one another. "
    -Emma Goldman

  9. #49
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: Oakland police arresting about 100 protesters

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Except it makes no sense because your comments fall on the side of the cops which is what makes you a hypocrite.
    The cops still have nothing to do with it. Just because I am opposed to the little Anarchists and their black bloc tactics does not automatically make me on some side. Instead you are just accusing me, when you really have no damn clue about me much less who i support. In other words keep your straw man argument to yourself Sherlock.



    All states allow speech to a certain extent. This means nothing.
    Prove to me that America is a police state then. what is your evidence?

  10. #50
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: Oakland police arresting about 100 protesters

    Quote Originally Posted by FinnMacCool View Post
    Most of those arrested were released without charge because the cops couldn't prove they did anything wrong.

    It's ridiculous because the OPD does the exact same thing that the cops did back in the 60's they declare an illegal assembly and order the crowd to disperse but then they kettle the protesters in and don't allow them to leave. That, in my opinion, is just asking for violence. It's easy to blame the protesters, but I think the mayor of Oakland and the OPD need to take a good hard look in the mirror before passing judgement on them.
    And the Anarchists brought shields and weapons because they are just innocent people right?

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •